Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-25-2009, 10:38 PM Reply   
I might be moving to WV in a while, and was wondering what the wake scene is like out there. What bodies of water are you mainly riding on? Thanks for any info! -Ryan
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-26-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
Where in WV. Im in the eastern panhandle
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-26-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
What part of WV are you moving to?

There is a small crew of riders near Morgantown, WV.

There is another crew just south of Wheeling, WV.

If you are in the southeast, you can make the trip into Virginia to meet up with the V Tech crew or the guys at Smith Mountain Lake.

I have seen some old school wakeboard boats in Charleston area, but I have never met anyone who rides there.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-26-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
I'm looking at a house on the river in Fairmont right now. My company's yard will be in Mount Morris, PA. What river is it going through Fairmont, is it good for riding. What other lakes or rivers would be good to ride on?
Old     (pja)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-26-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
The river is Tygart river it is not bad but get shallow and is narrow but if want better conditions go about 30 min to Tygart Lake it is glass pretty much every morning and not to crowded yet been riding there for about 10 plus years.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2009, 5:01 AM Reply   
Damn, Kyle...Thanks for leaving out the whole eastern half of the state. I thought we treated you better than that over here. hahahaha

Not a big wake scene in the Fairmont area, but Deep Creek lake in MD is about an hour away. Hit up the guys over at High Mountain Sports. Good amount of guys riding over there. They have a few local comps each year and operate a great shop. (Shameless plug...Pick up some Hyperlite while your there) You are almost dead between me over in the eastern panhandle (Martinsburg) and Kyle up in Pittsburgh. We ride on the Potomac River and have a few comps and demo days each year over here by me. Yu would be about 2 1/2 hours away from me.
Old     (funksboards)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-27-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
Yeah, what the hell Kyle...... wait till the next comp, paintball gun is judging while you ride!
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
Mike had posted about the eastern panhandle before me. I figured you guys would jump all over it if he was going to be in your area. (Its a pretty big scene with fun rail jams, good partys and great people).

My buddy Luke lives in Fairmont and has a lakehouse on the Tygart River. I can get you his contact info. I will warn you that the area is full of barefooters and skiing hillbillies. I highly recommend that you meet the locals before riding through with a big wake. They have shotguns... (not quite as bad as the eastern panhandle though)

Just north near Morgantown is the Cheat River Lake. It gets extremely busy on weekends, but there are a couple of SAN 210s and a Wakesetter with some good riders.

There is also the Yough River Lake and Deep Creek Lake to the East, but you have much better riding conditions where you are. Both of those lakes get extremely busy.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Mike and Jeff,

You guys going to come snowboard at 7springs at all this winter. I will be up there pretty much every weekend.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Hopefully we will make it up...but, then again i just got married. She may have other plans for me that i dont know about!

Saw another thread about Scott looking for a roommate in Richmond. same Scott you brought down here? If so...Thought he just moved to Jersey. If it is have him call Mike down at Southern Ski Boats
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
You got married? Congratulations!

Yeah, it is that Scott. I will tell him to call Mike.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-28-2009, 4:19 AM Reply   
Yep...I got married. I figure your getting pressured by now
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-28-2009, 5:54 AM Reply   
Been living with her for a while now, just bought a dog and I am closing on a house in the next month... My bachelor life is coming to a slow painful death.

At lease she is willing to travel with me to wakeboard stuff. Now if I can only teach the puppy to not puke on road trips.

On another side note, check out my latest side project http://www.midatlanticsnowboard.com
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-28-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Looks good...but, Damn...2 websites now! You get married and there wont be time for all that. hahahaha
Old     (lav)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-29-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
Ryan if you make it to the northern panhandle give me a shout, there are a few riders here.
But I will give you same advice as I gave Kyle, BEWARE THE BEEMER!!!!
LOL
All BS aside small core group of riders here always have room for 1 more
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-29-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Greg, thanks man. If I do end up moving to WV, I'll be sure to look you guys up. I should know in about a month or so. What month do you usually start riding? I probably won't bring the X-Star there until about March or so. Thanks for the info.

P.S. What is the BEEMER?
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-30-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
The BEEMER is a wakeboarder that lives near Greg, here is his vimeo profile... http://www.vimeo.com/surfdogmedia

Really nice guy, but he can be a little overbearing at times.

Greg, how are the kids? You get out on the river at all this summer? Sorry I could not make it down this year.
Old     (lav)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-30-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
Well said Kyle. Lol And I would say eccentric

We are all good had a busy summer building a garage and remodeling outside of the house so not much time on the boat.
I did hook up with Duffy cool guy and now lives in Chester WV
We will have to try and plan a weekend next summer in a central local so we can all get together and ride

Websites look good as always

You still doing doing realestate for shopping plaza here in town?
Tell Nikki I said hi
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-03-2009, 5:20 AM Reply   
Wow, I should have called Duffy for the Beaver Regatta Ski Show we did in August. It is real close to Chester.

I like the idea of a wakeboard meetup. I have actually been looking into the idea, but I need to find a good place. I went to Raystown in September (hoping it would be cool) but it is just like all of the other big lakes in our area, super crowded. If you think of anything, let me know.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-03-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
Kyle, Here you go. Stonewall Jackson Lake in Roanoke, WV. Its always empty on this lake and they rent houseboats.

http://www.stonewallresort.com/accommodations/houseboats.asp