Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (justinwakes)      Join Date: May 2009       05-25-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
I have been riding for along time... since i was way young... my family bought a mastercraft X-45 right after i graduated... and i took my riding to the next level i went from being a lever 1 rider to a level 5 rider over the summer... i was so stoked because i thought i was just going to get better and better... but i haven't... i feel like i have gotten worse... i am 22 years old there is no reason why i shouldn't still be progressing. Its like i have a huge mental block... i keep trying and trying and i am not landing anything new... what should i do? any advice?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
I am not an advanced rider by any means, but...

seems what i hear recommended most is to go back to some of the basics. do stuff you already know, but instead try to add a new grab and such. draw out the spin/grab/poke. take something bigger into the flats that you normally don't. try doing some stuff switch and get better switch. stuff like that.

and then when your feeling a groove and feelin up to it again, try the entirely new stuff again

(Message edited by wakerider111 on May 25, 2009)
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-25-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
I'd say it's time to try some of the following:

Book a lesson

Switch up the crew you ride with (go out with some guys that are going to push you!)

Back to the basics (How's your switch, blind, ts, anything that you can improve upon, different grabs)

Do something different behind the boat, be it wakeskating, surfing, even dare I say it... tubing, just something to adjust your focus

Hit up the gym and work on any muscle groups/cardio that might help improve your riding

Dryland training, tramp training at a gymnastics club, just jumping on a trampoline, hit up the diving boards

Build and play on some rails or other obstacles where you can learn something new and feel like you've accomplished something!
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-25-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
What Jeffery said.

Personally it really helps my riding when I ride with people that will push me. I like to ride with anybody and everybody and learn stuff from everyone even it is the smallest thing.

I ride like crap when I'm trying really hard. Just go out and have some fun..maybe ride doubles or something.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
Ride with guys better than you! I don't really push myself to try new stuff when I'm the best rider in the crew, but when I ride with my buddy who is better than I, I'm always trying new tricks
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-25-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
happens to everyone, u gotta just chill and stop putting so much pressure on yourself. I like to hit up the wakeskate when its not working out on the wakeboard. Reason being, 1. wakeskating is just fun anyway and 2. I dont have expectations of myself, unlike wakeboarding.

Otherwise maybe just go back and try and improve what you can already do, you can always tweak a grab a little nicer, take your spins a little bigger, whatever.

I think a lot of progression is being in the right frame of mind to accomplish it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-25-2009, 9:06 PM Reply   
Yup.... it always happens. Just get out there and have some fun. It'll be back. The best part is that every time I go into a slump I come out stronger and riding better.

Good luck.
Old     (macattack)      Join Date: May 2009       05-25-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
what everyone said, try to ride with someone better than you. everyone hits a slump where its hard to progress. you just need that person to push you.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-26-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
Are you falling hard? My mental blocks always come when I get too comfortable. I start enjoying what I can do and go a while without a good hard fall. Then I find myself trying to avoid them at all cost. I start bailing out of tricks early trying to avoid a digger. I have to force myself to get out there and commit knowing hard falls are coming. I take my licks and get my body used to the diggers again, and once that soreness wears off, Im back to progressing in a few days.

Keep a few new tricks in your head. Dont run one single trick into the ground. Dont wait til the end of your set to try things. Get warm and in a flow then let it go. I never learn anything new if I only try them when I'm exhausted. Ride with people who are also pushing themselves. Riding with conservative riders, even if they are better than you, doesnt push you like someone else who is also putting it on the line.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-26-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
One of my buddies told me a year ago to stop riding in the winter.
When summer hits he gets all pumped to go out and have a good time, try new stuff.
When he dry-suited it all winter he went into summer kind of burned out.
Not sure if this might be your issue......

I'm still dry-suiting it myself, this whole wakeboarding thing is still pretty new for me and I can't get enough.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-26-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
"Switch up the crew you ride with "

This always works for me. I ride with a few different crews.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
go back in time with austin powers he definately knows how to refind his mojo!!!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-27-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
it helps me to just take some time off from trying to push yourself wakeboarding for a little while.... i hit a block in the summer, I just take a week and wakesurf, skate, wakeboard but just no ballast or something practice switch riding, and the basics.... helps me not get so angry
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-27-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Take some lessons
Get 'Detention' or 'The Book'
Watch a video for inspration and motivation
Take a break from your normal riding and try something new---like switch toeside.
If you can't ride with someone new, change how you ride with your regular crew, play games, make rules, etc. " today, everyone has to try a switch backside 180" or "no inverts/spins, just big airs and 180s with different grabs and pokes"
Just have fun! 'enjoy the ride