Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-15-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
I have a single axle trailer, it’s just fine for my V drive, it’s not a real heavy boat, I would rather have a single axle, there is no need for a tandem trailer for my boat, but yet I hear people say they have to have one for their boat, I can see if you have a 6000lb boat or heaver, but is it really necessary for the lighter boats?
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-15-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
^^ if you are trailering your boat long distances, it's a bit of a safety issue. Blow out a tire on a tandem and you still have a tire on that side keeping things up. Blow out on a single and you could be in some trouble.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-15-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Use the one that came with your boat, my opinion. 2 axles just mean more expense. I don't know of many instances where a single axle trailer wrecked because of having only one axle.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Exactly what Nick said. Blow a tire on a single axle trailer on the freeway and you could have a huge mess.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-15-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
also tandem axles tow quite a bit better. they track behind the truck a lot straighter. Also I agree with Nick and JRod, a lot safer to have 1 out of 4 tires blow out then 1 out of 2.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-15-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have rash down the entire side of my truck from a guy who had issues on his single axle. He blew a tire and was riding on rim. 2 seconds later, the wheel sheers off entirely and smashes down the entire side of my truck at freeway speeds. Trashed the running board, my brand new 20" wheel and my rear bumper.

Luckily for him - he had just a small fishing boat and a suitable sized SUV. If he was pulling a 4500 lbs wakeboat it would have been a different story on one tire/wheel/axle..

That being said - I have a single axle. I wish I had a tandem.
Old     (illkid)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Agree with David, tandems tow A LOT better (straighter, rider better etc)
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-15-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have a dual axle and much prefer the way it tows to single axles I've pulled with other (lighter) boats single. My boat is around 3000 lbs dry, probably about 3500 lbs as it sits with fuel/gear/whatever. Also backs up nicer, and feel safer in case a tire blows out.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-15-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
You see alot of double axle trailers on the coasts and in the south because of the long distances to get to water. In the midwest where it's 10 minutes to water in any direction from most places, you don't really need the double axle. Plus a single axle is easier to manuver in the garage. If I was towing a long way to the lake, I would go with a double, but my boat sits in the boat house all year long so I don't have to worry about it any more
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-15-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Mixed feelings - I have to pivot turn my tandem axle to put boat in garage - major pain in backside. My MB weighs in at 3400lbs without the trailer, which would require a larger tire and more vertical door clearance that I did not have. Good webpage that covers all of the bases:
http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/reviewpages/boatusf/project/info3c.htm
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
Single axles turn much more easily. Tandems tow better. Which is better depends on what you do with it.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Ive had both the single and double and can say both have their ups and downs.. I like the added piece of mind that I have 4 tires in case of a blowout and the fact it has brakes makes it alot easier to stop.. but I loved the way I can move my boat around on the single by hand. I will say that I had a POS single axle trailer that gave me nothing but problems.. and I really like the double axle on my sanger.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
I've owned both, and much prefer the safety and better tracking on the tandem. Went through lots of blow outs on my single, and it wasn't much fun.

Singles are much easier to pivot into a tight place though, and I do agree if you aren't towing far, a single will suffice. (providing it meets the weight requirements of the boat and gear) The closest worthwhile lakes, rivers to us are at least 250 miles away in any direction on high speed interstates, so tandems are pretty much the norm around here, even for smaller boats that could easily ride on a single.

Although, now that my boat sits 30 feet from the water, my trailer could roll on just rims with no tires haha
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Passed a boat on the side of the road this past weekend. He had a 18' inboard/outboard ski boat on a single axle trailer. It appears that he had just had a blow out. You could see the gouge in the cement from where the outdrive made contact with the road...............poor guy.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-15-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
Also, not all axles are created equal. My single axle trailer had a heavy-duty axle with something like a 5-6K lb rating. A blowout at highway speeds would worry me though. That's another reason not to tow with a mid-size SUV / Crossover but that's another thread.

However, every tandem axle trailer I have seen has regular axles, something like 3,000 lbs ratings per axle. If you have a blowout, you may not wreck but don't think you're to continue towing 5K lbs of boat & trailer on your one good axle. You're still going to need to change that tire right there.
Old    K.B.C.            09-15-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
not too mention how much a single axle trailer swerves at highway speeds. no thanks on a single axle for me, I'll never own a trailer with one again
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-15-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
I think that's an indication of improper weight distribution on the trailer. My single axle didn't swerve at all; it tracked as staight as any trailer I've ever towed. However, it rode pretty rough.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-15-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
I have had them both and have had blowouts on both. My single axle trailer did fine when it blew out just ended up having to buy a new wheel to because by the time you can get slowed down to pull over at highway speeds your tire is gone. My Tandems when I have had blowouts you can't even tell you had one till you look in the mirror or see the tire flopping around. I will always have a tandem with any boat I ever have again. Most boats 20' or over you see on a single axle trailer if you weighted the boat with fuel and gear you are over weight on your tires and pushing max weight on the axle. Most will never have a problem and most only tow a few miles to the launch or use the trailer to take it in for service if that were my case I would save the money and buy a single.
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-15-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
I agree the peace of mind of 4 tires vs 2 is very nice is tow often and tow long distances. I have a single but would love a dual for that reason. I slip my boat most the year so the only benefit i get by having a single is that it doesnt need inspection in PA like a tandem would.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-15-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
I have a single and have been towing it for 10 years. I don't see how the tandems tow straighter as there are two more wheels to align and never noticed the single not tracking well.

Singles are way more easy to pivot both on the ramp and in a garage.

All that said, I would much rather have a tandem for the safety issue and the fact that you can limp home if a tire/bearing go bad.
Not so much for having to buy 4 tires. :-)
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-15-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
I have had both and experienced a blowout with the single axel. It was scary and there were some tense moments. I typically do not trailer very far, but for the few times I do I have peace of mind.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-15-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
Tandem saved our ass 3 times to/from florida over the years.... well well well worth it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
More is better.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-15-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
Had a bearing go out on the trailer the weekend before labor day. So glad we had a tandem. It was late had the new baby in the car and limped it off the turnpike to the cabin. Would have been stuck on the turnpike with a single.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-15-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
I think that tandem axel trailers also handle bumps and rough roads much better than single.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-15-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
My boat stays in a boat stall 50 weeks out of the year. However, the two weekends we use the boat on vacations I would love to have a tandem for all the reasons above. I have even thought of converting my single to a tandem over the winter.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
My wakeboard boat has a tandem, my ski boat has a single axle trailer. If the tandem didn't look so much better I would probably have single on my wakeboard boat too. I have had blowouts on both, I can feel a low tire on the boat and usually get it off the road before anything bad happens. With my torsion bar tandem on the wakeboard boat I can just pull a tire if I get a flat. I don't run on three very far but I have gone about 10 miles down the freeway on 3 tires. The ski boat is a cheap boat, I don't even have a spare on that trailer but I should. Might be something I add in the future if I decide to keep it.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-15-2009, 11:45 PM Reply   
Tandems look so much more pimp than a single IMO. Nothing looks sillier than a baller boat on a single axle trailer. After all this is wakeboarding looks are EVERYTHING.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-15-2009, 11:47 PM Reply   
Single axle trailers are for 17' foot Bayliners, Aluminum fishing boats, and Tent trailers.

If you have one for your wakeboat you got ripped off.

Yes they are harder to manuever into a garage but for most seasoned boat owners this is a non-issue.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   

quote:

Yes they are harder to manuever into a garage but for most seasoned boat owners this is a non-issue.

We push our boat into the garage (2 stall garage with a divider down the middle) by hand, good luck with a tandem. We've also tried backing it into the garage with the truck when we got lazy, managed to take a chunk out of the trim around the garage door. By the way, My dad has had boats years before this, I have basically grown up on boats, I would consider between the two of us to be experienced.

Both have their pros and cons.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
If you are running any sort of lead or non-removable weight (as most of us likely are) then a tandem can help take that load of the axles. Add to this the safety concerns and the better towing characteristics and that's the general reason.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-16-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
I tow my single axle about 30 miles to the lake. Part of the trip is interstate. I've had a blow out at interstate speed. Pulled over, changed the tire, and was on my way. The key to trailer safety is maintenance. With a tandem axle trailer, there is two times the stuff to maintain and two times the stuff that can go wrong. If your single axle trailer doesn't tow like it's not back there, you likely have problems. Single axle trailers have brakes just the same as the tandem does. As for the lead thing, I think the axles on the tandem trailers are smaller and aren't designed to carry any more weight than the single axle trailers. I'm not sure about the last thing, but I think it is that way.
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-20-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
Also check your local or state laws. I was told, have not confirmed this yet, that in Florida if you are towing a boat that weighs more than 3500lbs, it must be on a tandem axle.
Old     (pstar94)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-20-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
double axles also look sooo much better with a boat on them. single look kinda weeird....
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-21-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
"As for the lead thing, I think the axles on the tandem trailers are smaller and aren't designed to carry any more weight than the single axle trailers."

WRONG

That is exactly why they put tandem axles under trailers, to handle more weight. Single axle trailers pull fine, but as you add more weight, they need the extra tires on the ground to prevent sway and help distibute the weight. I own 6 trailers, from a small single axle up to a 10 ton with tandem duals (8 tires). In my case, the bigger the trailer the bigger the axles. A boat trailer is different in that they know the weight of what is being hauled. A single axle boat trailer may have a 4K lb. axle and the the tandem has 2- 3K lb axles. they may be smaller axles, but the trailer can handle more weight.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
Thanks, Greg. I was partially right, though. The axles are smaller, but there are two. The total of the two being more than the one.

I just wanted those that don't know to realize that a tandem axle trailer is not a necessity on most of these boats. Not everyone wants to spend the extra money on the tandem for the coolness factor. Would I be more comfortable towing a tandem for hundreds of miles? Sure. I would never trade the ease of moving my boat in and around the garage though.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Jman
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-21-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
Jman

I like your boat. I was surprised that it is a 2000, it looks much newer.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-21-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
I was concerned about the weight rating of my trailer at one time so I contacted the manufacturer of the trailer (Roadrunner). Some of the dealers in TX were using them a few years ago, I don't know who does now.

Here is what I was told.... they use a 5K lb axle on their single-axle trailers. The springs, couplers, tires, etc are also rated for that weight and that's the true weight rating if it has brakes. If it doesn't have brakes, it's rated for 4,500 lbs for legal purposes.

I then contacted Malibu to find out what was included in the published weight of the boat. To make a long story short, 5K lbs is fine for some boats; a VLX is right at the limits though with gear since the trailer weighs about 900lbs.

If I had it to do over again though I would have spent the money and gotten the tandom-axle. My point though is that not all single-axles are created equal. You can't just assume that a tandem has double the capacity of a single.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-21-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
"You can't just assume that a tandem has double the capacity of a single."

Excellent point Chad. Also, just because your single axle is rated for 5K lbs., if your tires are only rated to carry 2K lbs. your load capicity has dropped to 4K lbs.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-22-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
Thanks Greg, I've been extremely happy with my Mobius.

The proper tire is essential. Like a chain, it is only as strong as the weakest link.

Jman