Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    qfirefighter            02-20-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
Need help in were to put my amp for the sub. pics to follow. As you can see I'm running out of room. want to keep them under the seat. Was thinking of mounting the amp on plexi-glass and velcro it to the inside of the hull. Really don't want to cut the carpet. Any ideals on my amp problems would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-21-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
Rod In my X-star I added a 3rd amp and much like you ran out of room. What I did was buy a fiberglass cutting board about 3/4 thick and cut it length wise into 2 strips. I peeled the carpet back on the bow slope right behind your seat hold-up and fiberglassed the strips to the hull to match the size of my new amp. Each strip runs to floor. I then reglued the carpet back and mounted the amp. All wiring is hidden and turned out professional. I now actually have enough space to mount a 4th amp if needed.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-21-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
that sounds like a good idea. i also noticed that space and looks like it could hold two. Is the back wall sturdy enough? you would have to completely wire it up before mounting it, but it could be done.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-21-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Rod, what I did was make some small cuts in the carpet and pull it back enough to fiberglass a small 1x1x4 board to the hull and the panel where your amps are mounted(you can always reglue that little strip of carpet back. Then I took a peice of mdf that would go on top of the two blocks and make a little bridge across the compartment. I screwed and fiberglasses some 1x1 boards lengthwise on the board to make stringers so it wouldn't sag over time. I then mounted my amps to boards and screwed the boards onto the shelf(bridge) from the bottom. If you want I can go to storage to take pics. I also painted the shelf(bridge) black with epoxy paint to keep it more hidden. I have 3 amps mounted to it now with more than enough room for a fourth
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-21-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
I used a 3/4" piece of MDF with L brackets mounted on the bottom of the board and placed the board along the port side of my boat. However, I did not have to remove any carpet because the board is not attached to the side of the boat.

One of the legs of the L bracket is screwed to the back of the MDF board. The other is screwed to the floor of the boat. I did this by lifting up the carpet and screwing the other leg of the L bracket to the bottom of the boat. The amp board is mounted about 3/4" above the bottom of the boat so it doesn't get wet.

To keep the board from moving away from the side of the boat, I attached a metal bracket at the top of the amp board to a screw on my tower (under the gunnel.) The board doesn't move at all. Besides that, I can remove it easily if I need to switch out one of my amps.

I don't have any pics now but can take some if anyone is interested.

(Message edited by jroyal on February 21, 2005)
Old    qfirefighter            02-21-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
Thank's for the great ideals. If any of you get a chance to take some Pic's That would be Cool.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-22-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
yea, pics would be good. i am pretty sure i understand jeff's but pics would be nice.

jason, i am not sure i understand yours. think you can take a few?
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-22-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
I'll try to take some this evening.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
Use Jeff's idea but go to Tap Plastics and get some scrap HDPE instead of MDF. MDF is like a sponge when it gets wet. You could also use some birch ply with resin paint.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
I will take pics tonight and post them tomorrow
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-22-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
sorry my boats in storage for at least a month or two more. Didnt have the foresight to take any pictures when I finished my stereo porject.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-22-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
I used a big plastic cutting board from lowes to mount my amps on and then glued it to the bare hull. No need to worry about glassing mdf or water problems.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2005, 6:03 AM Reply   
Sorry, I was going to take the pics last night but when I got my digital camera out, I discovered that it wasn't working. Found out someone knocked it off the counter...........ouch!

However, I've attached a illustration that may be of assitance.

Amp Board Illustration
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-01-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
rod sorry but I kept forgetting the camera when I went to the boat, but here is what I am talking about.

it is not done yet and you can make it so you don't see wires because you can run them along and under the shelf
Old    qfirefighter            03-04-2005, 5:33 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for your install pics. Got some great ideals. Boat is comming out of it's heated winter home today. Weather watch show high 60's for my area for the next week. YA BABY!!! will post pics of install when finished.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
Mounted in an '01 SAN. Here's a way I learned here and seems to work very well and clean. First make some mounting stripes from 1 1/2" steel.

Then remove rub rail and screw the top of the mounting stripes thru the rail and the bottem into the floor. Then mount the amps...I ended up mounting 3 Fosgate amps and have room for more later.

Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Install complete w/o chrome covers on amps and 12w6 sub under driver side. Sorry the pics aren't that great.

Old    qfirefighter            03-04-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Mike T Very clean install YA BABY!!!! Like It Thanks
Old    qfirefighter            03-04-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
Mike also did you have to heat up your rubber rail to get it back in. ?????
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-04-2005, 7:14 PM Reply   
Mike were did you get the steel from, Home Depot? So if Im understanding you right you removed the Rubrail put in longer sqrews that then went threw the hull to the metal strips? I have different size amps so im guess you can mount them on other metal?
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
Rod- I didn't have to heat the rubber rail to get it back in, although it came out easier than it went back in.

Nate- I got the steel from Orchird(sp) Supply, but I think most home improvement stores carry it. It comes in 4' lengths, then you just cut, bend, and paint to fit. In hind sight, I would use aluminium stripes (available at Home Depot), then you'll never have to worry about rust. Also the other trick to the install is 1) pre drilling the strips and mounting the amps before they go into the boat and 2)dealing with the natural curve of the hull. Finally, the strips go from the floor to where the rub rail is, so you can mount the amps anywhere on the strips. All three of my amps are differents lengths, but there all mounted about 2 inches from the floor.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-04-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
I see, do you have any more pictures on the wiring? So if I have this all right, You take steel strips pre cut the holes along them for the height of the amp. THen you take out the rub rail use longer sqrews that go into the steel and hold it to the side of the boat and then bolt it to the bottom? I really like how you mounted them and thanks for your info.
Old    whitechocolate            03-06-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
Hey Mike. I was looking at how I was going to mount the amps in Jasons boat and the way I normaly do it, dosent look like its going to work as well as your way. So Im going to copy your Idea, and mount Jasons Amp's the same way you did in your Natique I know your not the first guy to go it but you posted the photos that got my mind turning. Thanks for the photo's. When I saw how much space I was dealing with The photos you and Jeff Royal posted convinced me your way is better, Thanks Again G"