Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-25-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
I would like to upgrade my pathetic sound system and the first thing I need to do is improve the low end by replacing the stock Kenwood free-air subwoofer. I don;t have a lot of room in the boat, so the idea of just adding another free-air sub is very appealing to me but I would like to know if it's worth going this route or I should splash on a custom enclosure. I don;t need to entertain the lake but I need good quality sound and enough power to at least entertain the female passengers i my boat every now and then :-)
I looked at JL M10IB5CGW and Wet Sounds XS-10FA, but I like the looks of the Wet Sounds a lot more. I will also eventually replace all my boat speakers with wet sounds.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-25-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
I've installed a few of the XS-10FA's, and they're okay. You won't get much at all out of a free air woofer, but if it's a last resort, then go for it.

The XS12 sounds great if it's in the right box and has the right power.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
You probably need to consider and amp upgrade also, the sub is only as good as the power going to it. Cant go wrong with the xs10-fa when power right! The xs-10fa sounds great with 400+ w's rms going to it!
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-25-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
I will replace the amp as well, I was thinking about the WetSounds Syn Micro (recommended on their website), but that's nowhere near 400+ W RMS. Can I consider a beefy car amp rather than a marine one? The amp will never be exposed to the elements. Will the kick panel under the driver's seat rattle? Any concerns? What amp do you recommend?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
I've done a handful of them powered buy the Class D sub chnl of the Kicker zx700.5 and delivers 420W's when wired at 2ohm's. I have not heard the sub powered with anything less, but I doubt you would be disappointed with the Micro, but it will handle more!
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-25-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
In the 2nd stage of this upgrade process I will replace all 6 in boat speakers with 6 wetsounds XS-650. Will the sub still provide enough bass then? From what I read the XS-650 have decent mid-bass.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-25-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
If you're gonna replace all the in-boats with 650's, use the Syn6 amp. That'll be 600W on the sub, and 100W per channel on the in-boats.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-26-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
^^^ X2. If you have room for an enclosure, then step up to the xs-12 with the 600W's!!!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-26-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
i have installed the micro with the xs-10fa it was ok but not really what your going to want from the sounds of it your wanting a little more. I run the xs10-fa in my boat w 350 watts going to it and it thumps.I think the xs10-fa is a great sub at a great price if you power it right as stated above.I went from a clarion marine 10 to the xs10 with same amp and it was night and day difference.I also run three sets of xs-650.So you will have same set up as me.Im running clarion marine amps but want to step up to the wetsounds amp.I have installed a few of the WS amps since they came out and they are awsome.If you go syn 6 -xs10-fa- 3 sets xs-650 you will be very happy i can assure you.

(Message edited by kko13 on April 26, 2009)

(Message edited by kko13 on April 26, 2009)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-27-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Claudiu,

The Supra 21V doesn't have the floor hump under the drivers console so I'm assuming that your factory 10-inch sub is mounted in the carpet-clad HDPE facade. Because its wide open over the top of the panel the sub is not isolated front to rear. So, no matter what free-air sub you use it will be a major disappointment in your application.

Without the floor hump you have a great deal of room behind the facade. Definitely get an XS-12 in an enclosure.

You could get by with the Syn Micro but 200 watts bridged into 4-ohms might be a bit light for the XS-12. For a more permanent solution, I would start at around 300 watts honest power. There are lots of options in your budget.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-27-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
That's what I'm afraid of with the free-air sub, I'll spend a lot for slightly better results. You're right about the panel, it is wide open at the top. For now I will try to squeeze a sealed-boxed 12" Kicker sub + Kicker amp (400W RMS 2ohm load, from one of my cars) inside the closed compartment of the boat (I don;t know how to call this, it's where both my batteries and all my vests are now), and spend my 2009 budget on upgrading the the 6.5 speakers with wetsounds and a good amp. In 2010 I will deal with the rest. I hope the car amp+sub will be fine this summer.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-27-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Claudiu,

I'm certain your Kicker 12" will fit in an enclosure under the driver's helm console, thereby preserving your storage in the port locker.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-27-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
I did an install a few weeks ago on an X-Star with an XS-12 in a ported enclosure powered by the sub channel of a Syn6. It sounded great for what it was. Also have an XS-10FA on a Clarion Marine 4-channel.