Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Here is some pictures of my new board. It's gonna fly! And it's not china crap. Hand made and hand glassed in texas
Attached Images

Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-20-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Nice board Duffy,
send it over so I can take it out this weekend!
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-20-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
Looks great!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 5:23 PM Reply   
Irish green, yes , LOL looks good , need update with pick on the ride.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-20-2010, 7:08 PM Reply   
nice board Duffy. when did you get that? when did you order? I have one on order, just wondering when I might be able to start riding.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
how much was it,have you tryed it yet..
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
Do you know what the difference is between the elevation and Chase's board from last year? The tail looks a little different, like it has been narrowed, and shaped a bit differently. It also looks like it has been.. well.. elevated.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
I ordered it in december, and I just got it. I got a special deal on it so I won't say the price, but it was still expensive. Have you talked to them to see when yours will be done? I will hopefully surf this weekend, but that is based off of the weather. The nose is changed, so is the tail and the cutout area. Also the rails are slightly changed. I will post findings.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-21-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
i've emailed them a couple of times, but they haven't been able to give me a specific date on which it will be done. I'm sure their shaper has a ton of them to shape.

i ordered it in February, so if you just got yours that was ordered in December, i'm guessing it will be a little while until mine is done.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Yeah for sure. The shaper does good work, but it does seem to take forever. Since you waited you will get the new traction. It looks sick!
Old     (Chris_JR)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
sick board duffy, i cant wait until i get mine! What kind of fins are you gonna run in it?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
Either stretch quads or black stick 2.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-21-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
i got the new futures catalog today and all the new fins look sick
Old     (Chris_JR)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2010, 5:23 PM Reply   
yeah the black stix 2.0 are really sick. Thats what i am running in my comp1 right now and they give me a lot more drive and better release in my airs.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
Hey, Duff ,

i know you already have those fins , but if you dont then you can get the equal of those in the natural material.
black stix2 = F4 fins has fantastic hold
stretch quads = not sure if they come in natural finish and loose
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-23-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
I think they do com in natural. I have lots of fins I usually buy them second hand off ebay. Still looking of for a future fins install kit.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Duff, an installation kit is about $170 wholesale, plus shipping. You can also buy it retail from Foamez, surfsource.net, and fiberglasssupply, it will run about $200, plus shipping.... Future does not give much of a break on the kit, but it includes a ryobi trim router (set up for their system) which is $80-100 anyway...
Personally, i like the FCS fusions better....

Fins, the streach quad is a really reliable set. if the board feels stiff, drop to the 340 rear or consider the FSG which has a narrower tip, bit more flex, and will release a bit more...
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
The Rusty hex rtm is also a really good template, and the new "Elevon" looks like fun.... but maybe a bit of a cutting hazard.....
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-23-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Where is Shred Stixx located in Texas as far as shaping goes? I would figure near Austin since that's basically the capital of wakesurfing down south.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-23-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
I think its in Austin, but I also think they have a shaper in Cali too. According to Shred Stixx they are months behind.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-23-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
months behind? i just hope my elevation that i ordered the first week of February gets to me before July 4th. or if not, hopefully i get it before summer is over. i bet that have a TON of boards to shape.

Last edited by tro; 04-23-2010 at 7:42 PM. Reason: .
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-23-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
on the plus side, they did send me a free t-shirt while i wait. so that's cool.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-23-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
I'm sure they are working on it. I got a discount so they put mine at the bottom of the list.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
As far as I know their shaper is in Austin. Thats pretty much where they run alot of the day to day out of now
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-27-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
I think you can see my board being sprayed in this shaping video.

http://slayshtank.com/surf/2010-shre...eries-preview/
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-29-2010, 5:23 PM Reply   
duffy: have you had a chance to ride the board yet? how was it? any comments? still patiently waiting for mine. would like to hear your thoughts...
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-29-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
Raining at 50 degrees here So nope. Hopefully soon, but that's up to mother nature.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-30-2010, 4:57 AM Reply   
Hey duff,
that has to be your board, lets say it is.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-01-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Raining at 50 degrees here So nope. Hopefully soon, but that's up to mother nature.
Get that dry/wetsuit on!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-02-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Was working on my balsa board and cut my finger. I got four stitches and will not be surfing for at least a week
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-02-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
that sucks man.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-02-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Found out my new board is also resin research epoxy. Which I think is different then my 2009 comp1?
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-05-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
anyone else rode one of these new elevations?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
I will in a few weeks!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-06-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Sweet write up on it.

http://slayshtank.com/featured/hazenelevation/
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
I dont know if its the best wakesurf board out there....I dont get how people can write stuff like that..like I said before its all in want works for you ,yeah chase kills it on that board for sue ,but it doesnt mean its the best wakesurfboard out there.I think thats pretty funny to claim something that hard..theirs so many boards out there right now and its what ever works for who ever likes that board..I dont see write ups on boards kelly slater rides ,that they are the best boards out there..Some guy in the middle of no where could be making the best wakesurf board on the planet and no one knows about him or her...I think that is a joke to write something like that...
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Who is the guy who shapes those board any way
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
I swear people will say anything for a sale......
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Can't remember the name of the shaper James, but they come out of Chaos Surf Shack in ATX
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Thats pretty funny to me...
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-06-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
SS told me that my elevation was shipped yesterday and the guys at my office told me that i had a large package arrive today. i'm pretty sure that i didn't order anything else, so the board must have been sent overnight. can't wait to get back to town tomorrow night and pick it up. i'm sure it's sick. and i ordered a DaKine bag with it, so looking forward to seeing that too. Can't wait!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-06-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Well it's all about experimenting and design, and the comp1 is an amazing design. Hopefully the elevation is also a great board. Look how many wakesurf's surfdad has built! He has some serious time and effort invested in flyboy wakesurf company. R&D is important and I bet shred stixx spends more on it then any other brand out there. I'm sure some of rocks boards and some of the mob boards are amazing, and also the other brands etc..., but I have never had the pleasure to ride most of them. Someday

I own a brewpub and I always laugh when a new pub opens up and says "worlds greatest burger" or "worlds best pizza"
Old    mobster            05-06-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
I think you have to factor in the wave your riding, your skill level ,body type,type of style you ride, plus what works for you Rock Has Shaped for the best board company's in the world , shaped over 20000 boards He has some of the highest tech composite boards made, He uses the best materials he can get and is in the Surfboard shaping mecca in San Clemente where most of the surfboards are made , He was Lost Surfboards R&D Shaper for years Rock has learned a lot in 20 years. Jeff has shaped alot of boards you mow foam and learn . We know what works and can provide a Great board .I have said this before there are no bad boards just some work better than others when I get some photos & video from Branson I will post it
Old    surfdad            05-06-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
Jeff has shaped alot of boards you mow foam and learn

I'm not sure if I am the "Jeff" that is in reference to, but I have mowed some foam AND the one thing I have learned moreabout than anything else, is exemplified in this picture

I need THAT tag line! Surfdad Shapes - 'cuz I make one hell'va mess!
Attached Images

Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-08-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
it is a joke and shouldn't not be actually taken as serious claim. that's why they are allowed to make such claims. if they had data showing that it was the best board.. like findings from a sample of many pro riders.. they would show it. since they dont, they can use puffery which is saying "best board on planet" just like papa johns "better ingredients, better pizza" to advertise. dumb or not. it's legal and it's just advertising. don't take it so personal. it's a great board, and that's all their truly saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjjamesz View Post
I dont know if its the best wakesurf board out there....I dont get how people can write stuff like that..like I said before its all in want works for you ,yeah chase kills it on that board for sue ,but it doesnt mean its the best wakesurfboard out there.I think thats pretty funny to claim something that hard..theirs so many boards out there right now and its what ever works for who ever likes that board..I dont see write ups on boards kelly slater rides ,that they are the best boards out there..Some guy in the middle of no where could be making the best wakesurf board on the planet and no one knows about him or her...I think that is a joke to write something like that...
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-08-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
I just need my weather not to be cold and rainy and I can just give everyone my honest opinion. Well put Mack
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-08-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
what ever.....
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-08-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
I dont eat papa johns,mack ..
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-08-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
just got my Elevation yesterday! super excited. I thought I was going to get the new traction since it didn't ship until now, but after seeing the pics of the new traction on the website, i'm really glad I got the older style. not really feeling the new design covering the whole deck.

hopefully i can get out on the water tomorrow.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-08-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
I add traction to cover the whole deck. I have a buddy that shuffles his feet all the time and dings it up. Let us know how it rides. Post some pictures too
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-08-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
i really can't get use to the traction over the whole deck. i guess growing up surfing, i always feel I had more feel of the board with a deck of wax than with traction. i'll have to see how it rides and then figure it out.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2010, 10:17 PM Reply   
hilarious you guys tryin to act like Vernors shape is your creation.i know the guy who shaped this board, cool dude that doesnt wakesurf hahahaha gotta agree wit da Dj
whatevr
ss shapes 3 boards in the ATX now tryin to act like the rest of um arent china stixx crap.
dont try and misslead the ww peeps with your ss made in the usa lore.
this protoboard was brought to my shop when the builder tried to enlist my help for 30 of um.
the rails werent lapped,not downturned,3'' thick tail,total amature chop job
imo its not the best board by any means.its craftsmanship is intermediate at best.
look close,scope the finish,compare it to a Stretch boards finish and bow down.
my werk is done here
peace
disclaimer: sold my board company, now totally unemployed independent rider speaking his mind occasionally.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-09-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Waterdog,
Please don't comment on my posts. I paid a lot of hard hard earned money for this board. I don't want some guy just coming on her to bash my purchase. Shred Stixx has a california shaper and I have one of his boards and also now a ATX board. Both are built really well. I would say my elevation is the best build I have seen. It was hand made so I am sure there are flaws.

On a separate note. I can't wait to try it today!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-09-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Falws add character , Big Papa John and wife lived next door to me in the 1990's , I sorta gave his brother a scare ride in my tricked out bmw 2002 one time.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-09-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Yea, my whole thing is, shred stixx is the only company I here a lot about, and when im spending close to a grand on a board that I cant hold and look at before I buy, I dont want to go with a company i dont know a lot about, has a sketchy website, and only has a few loyal riders. no one in AZ that ive seen rides shred stixx, but they are all over the forums.

I cant wait to get my elevation.

No one can say they have the "best" but id like to think that my shred stixx elevation would be real close.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
If you like boards from sweat shops in china....
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
Just kidding,I guess some are made somewhere in america,I know chase gets his made in the usa..
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
I think the best board out there is jeff walkers door he rode,that was sick....that was you right jeff,that was classic,I want to try that or I want to try and ride a taco bell tray back there...
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-09-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
50 degrees and thunder storms all day. Maybe early next week wil be the test ride
Old    surfdad            05-09-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
DJ! Yeah that was me! Ed Sullivan and I used to have the east vs west wakesurf challenge, every year we'd do something crazy and that was my entry. I think that was 2006...it'll be on the picture.

Yeah! Best board on the planet! who needs rocker, or an outline for that matter. And EVERYONE knows that high performance wakesurf boards have a doorknob on the deck side.
Attached Images

Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-09-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
excuses, excuses Duffy....
if you're scared to ride the board, then just fess up.....

only kidding of course, can't wait to see pics of your ridin that thang!!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
now jeff just open the door and grab some beers for me,thats what dennis is thinking. that is classic....sick jeff,I love that photo.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
My entry from 2006. A cardboard and Kroger's shopping bag surf board. See the link: http://www.wakeboardmidwest.com/memb...&p=13&s=#media
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-09-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
heck all you really needed was an accented pink wetsuit and a silly smile
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
one size fits all.
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
classic......
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-09-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
if that was one of jeffs early creations maybe there is still hope in my building of a board
Old     (rustyshredstixx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-10-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
dudes,

we never claimed that board was the "best", the article that someone wrote about the board stated: "The most technologically advanced board on the planet" not the "best". that was someones opinion, just like all of your post. Jerry and Chase worked with our shapers really hard for the past couple of years to develop the elevation, and we are very proud of it. We have never claimed to be the "best", we just want our customers to have the "best" surfing experience behind a boat as they can.

Jamez, if you ever make it Texas, hit us up. Chase will be here all summer doing clinics and lessons. we hit the water everyday. hell, anyone hit me up for that matter. now go get wet.

Rusty@shredstixx.com
Old    surfdad            05-10-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
LOL Dennis those pictures are CLASSIC! Just like DJ says. That was such a blast - remember that yahoo giving us grief about spoiling all the butter? There was us and 3 fishermen...yet he wanted us to NOT ride, because butter was reserved for wakeboarders ONLY. LOL.

Frank - I was doing serious R&D to determine if vertical attachments aided with down-the-line speed. Too funny.

That thing was so hard to ride, it was crazy...check Dennis ripping it up, though.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-12-2010, 12:08 AM Reply   
Late to the party, but thats a nice looking board. I have never been too partial to the stixx design, purely aesthetically, just a preference thing, but that one is pretty sweet looking. RJ rode a verner comp like that, and it was very fast and light.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-13-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
So tro or Duffey you guys get a chance to try out ur boards yet? Tro lets see some pics.

Last edited by venom93corba; 05-13-2010 at 8:21 AM.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
i did get to try mine out. i didn't take any pics on the water. my board looks just like duff's, just white and black instead of green and black. i'm not that good (only riding for 2 months on and off), so i can't give you a detailed breakdown of the goods/bads. i can say that the surf feel to the board is amazing. it rides just like my shortboards and the control of it is great. it is light years ahead of the ronix board i was riding before.

i'm still trying to get the wave on my 230 tuned in, so i can't ride for all that long or comment too much about the board, but one of these days i might figure out what wave. i can say that the board stays on the wave very well with continual pumping and turning. the ride is real smooth.

i have tried all kinds of configurations in the boat. last time out was rear surf tank full, 750 in rear port side locker, 400 on floor board against back seat, 400 sac in the walkway and the belly tank full and going 11.5 mph. wave was decent, but not as big as I'd like and definitely not as long.

i'm taking it out again this weekend to do some more experimenting, i'll try to get some pics this time out.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-13-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
I know with my Tige, we get a better wave when we fill the sacks in both lockers, and the sacks up front, then put everyone on one side. We just added 3- 7gal fresh water tanks under the back port sack and one in the bow.

More weight in the back makes it taller, more weight up front makes it longer.
Try bringing the speed dont a little while your learning, itll be a little more forgiving and allow you to get the turns down quicker.

With my boat, the more weight, the faster you can go. Ive had it up to 11.7 and that was with the boat full, all the sacks full, plus a **** ton of rock. Monster wave.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
i'm adjusted the speed from 10.0 to 12.5 and it seems like 11.5 is the best so far. i've had a ton more weight in it in the front and back and can't seem to get the wave the be longer. i've had a 750 in the front, 750 against rear seat, 750 on port side back seat, 750 in the rear port locker, and belly and port locker full. i've also tried it with both rear tanks full and with both 750's in port and starboard lockers. my 230 wave gets washed out when you put any additional weight in the starboard locker (tank or sack).
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
the wave is HUGE with all the weight i just mentioned, just not near long enough, i think i might need all that weight with some additional weight in the walkway. maybe, i'll move the 750 sack that is against the rear seat up into the walkway.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
Got out and finially tested the board. Hands down the best board I have ever ridden. Airs were easy, recovered from so so far back. All around I loved it! Only thing I didn't love was the 44 degree water
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
mine should be shipping out today! cant wait to ride it!!!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
It's a tough board to master. It took me at least a solid day of riding to figure it out. I will try and post some pictures.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
haha thats what im hearin, i got time tho, and plannin on spending a lot of time on it so itll be way sick!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-18-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Hey Duff,
lets see some vid next time you get out,