Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (method)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-24-2013, 11:50 PM Reply   
hey all I just got my first boat this year 03 tige 20v and had never even heard of wakesurfing. So needless to say I googled it and was like " wheres the rope ? on bottom of the board..." didnt register that the wake kept you going. regardless once i was assured thats how it worked I had to try it and was instantly hooked. anyways here are a couple links to my rides any input would be appreciated especially on the look of the wake itself( 10.5 PP, 540 sumo rear, 540 sumo on the bench and 540 in the bow mind you the bow is only filled up a bit )
http://youtu.be/vQCDnujMvqY

http://youtu.be/Zn82sni88Ag

mind you the one is a go pro chest cam.
but the one where i start riding the wave it seems If i try and climb and come back down i dont keep the speed and fall behind, so if I want to start doing tricks do I need a differect board as this on is a ronix cortez.

thanks again.

Last edited by method; 07-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-25-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
Hey Chris: One thing you might try in your technique - stand up completely straight, then push your knees (particularly your lead knee) way out over your toes. By squatting down so much and leaning forward, you feel like you are putting weight over your toes, but what really is happening is it makes you stick your butt out behind you and the actual net effect is little to no weight over your toes. Got to have weight on the toe side to stay in the wake. Hard to tell from video how to tweak your wave on that particular boat (boats are all different) - play around with people ballast and then experiment by trying to adjust your actual ballast weight bias to whatever produces the best results.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-25-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
For starters, having people on the opposite side of the boat is going to kill your wave. I understand people don't want to sit on bags, but you are going to kill the wave and the push of the wave with the 2.5 people I know are on the opposite side of the boat. You need your passengers to get with the program. Even as a driver, I will often stand up and move a little more to the center. If the chick is the lightest person, get her to drive the boat, and have the current driver sitting in the rear corner (or sun platform).

Your wave is not well formed, which is going to make any riding a lot more difficult. I would also move that bag as far to the back corner as possible. Looks like you are 6 inches off.

What weight are you running in the boat?
Old     (method)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-25-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses, I didn't realize the wave was that temperamental but I will have people sit on the proper side now, as for weight I was 540 in the locker, 540 on the seat and about 200 in the bow. Should I be loading more weight in the locker and bow ? I've only ballasted about 4 times so far and trying to get a nice wave.
Old     (Bibbs32)      Join Date: May 2013       07-25-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
I had a 07 20V and ran 2 450 sumo sacs in back locker and around 300 in the centre bow walkway. Speed around 10-10.6 depending on who was riding. The people would sit on the back surf side. If less people than we would throw another 350 pound sac on bench. Wake was good but a small sweet spot and not very long compared to the new RZ2
Old     (method)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-25-2013, 6:10 PM Reply   
thats what im almost wondering if I need to upgrade to a different boat to get a longer/better wake. would be unfortunate haha. do you think it would make a differance if i dropped in a bigger ballast in locker and bow to get a longer run ?
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-25-2013, 6:14 PM Reply   
Method, since your boat is much smaller, you will run less ballast, but to give you an idea, I run about 3500 pounds in my 23 foot enzo. So, ballast is critical, and when you have so little of it, placement of people is much more important.

I'll defer to the people on here that own that boat to help you out.
Old     (Bibbs32)      Join Date: May 2013       07-25-2013, 6:33 PM Reply   
Your boat is fine--we loved our 20 v and got a very good wake off it. Lots of guys on this thread have way more experience than I have but to make wake longer you can increase speed and/or add bow weight. The setup I mentioned in previous post worked pretty good for us and friends that came out. We run 400 lbs in bow and 1000 in back surf side in rz2 for a comparison. Do to size difference the wake in the RZ is bigger and longer. Kicker is price difference between our old 20v and rz2. It takes time to dial in boat so enjoy surfing when you are dialling.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-25-2013, 9:35 PM Reply   
I have a RZR, which is Tige's current 20 footer. If its like the RZR front weight is critical to getting length to the wave. We run the 400 factory ballast full and then put 2 kids up in the bow(150-175 lbs). I would fill that 540 up in the bow. I'm not familiar with your bow, if its a standard walk thru put the bag in the walk thru as far forward as you can. If a playpen style put it side ways right in front of the wind shield. Then fill the 540 in the locker and the 540 on the seat surf side.

My set up is 400 front(plus 2 kids or 1 adult up there/ pretty close to filling your 540) stock 250 tank and a plumbed in 500 surf corner. Then 2-3 adults surf side as far back as possible. Makes a nice clean wave. But like I said for the 20ft RZR front weight is the key to length. Run what you have but fill the front 540 and put your passengers on the surf side and I think you will see a positive change in your wave. You have plenty of weight in the back you just need more front and your passengers in the right place. If you have 3-4 adults in the boat I doubt you need the 540 on the seat.
Old     (method)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-25-2013, 10:23 PM Reply   
Thanks all for the input definatly will try more weight in the bow. Board man or bibbs what are or were you running your taps at ?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-26-2013, 6:06 AM Reply   
I usually run 4 on the regular side and have to go to 3 to clean up the goofy side. We ride at 10.6.
Old     (Bibbs32)      Join Date: May 2013       07-26-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
On our 20v right around 4. Depended a bit on rider and how many passengers. Something to play with. Think most people do the 3-5 range from what I have read. Your bow weight on the V might react different opposed to a pickle nose. Do all the testing and let guys know what worked best for you. Not sure if you have been over to Tige owners forum but thats a good place to get additional Tige info. Enjoy