Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    brianthomas            07-30-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
I feel torn between who to support nowadays. I used to try to stay true to my local shop even though their prices aren't the greatest, however they have hooked me up on occasion. I recently was looking for a skylon sky rack and my shop was out of them and they guy said it was 260. They would get it in in a week. So I go to wakeside, its 229, free shipping, no tax. I asked my shop if they would match and they said no. I know its good to support your local shop but we are talking about 30 bucks cheaper here. Wakeside was awesome and I got my racks in less than a week. Do you guys try to do your business through you local shop?
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have been in that situation many times. For a 30 dollar dif, I would support my boardshop ONLY if they had it in stock. Not in stock, not my problem and I go for the cheaper deal. I only support my boardshop if their product is 10% higher or if I need the product fast. If I can find the product 15-20% cheaper elswhere, I ask my shop to get close to the cheaper price. I like to give them business because they give me great service, all the employees know me by name and their boat service dept really hooks me up as far as getting my boat in and done before others. I hate out of stock situations. I feel you made the right choice.
Old    upupnaway            07-30-2003, 9:02 PM Reply   
Great question. I print up whatever I find cheap online and ask them to match it, and they have yet to let me down.
Chicago Sea Ray RULES!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-30-2003, 10:18 PM Reply   
I am with Andrew here...only if they have it.

I got really jerked around by a local shop and I was about to make a MAJOR purchase. I called to see if they had everything, told them I woudl be there at a certian time (well within business hours), when I got there, only some shop workers were around, and couldn't help me. They were not authorized to sell equipment. Apperently everyone left shortly after my call. Little did they know I was about to drop $1000 on boards, bindings, ropes, vest, and a few other accessories.

Now I just buy whenever I get a good deal, where ever I am at that time.

KG
Towerboxes
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-31-2003, 7:47 AM Reply   
Supporting your local shop is great, but if you like this site, it's also cool to buy from the companies that advertise here. I would buy from WakeSide in a second, because by advertising here they are helping to provide what I feel is a free yet valuable service.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2003, 7:54 AM Reply   
i try to support local but mike from adrenalinewatersports.com has treated me awesomely (is that a word?).
Old    damnation            07-31-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
I'm lucky b/c my local shop makes it really hard to support anyone else. I have become friends with the owner and he really does right by me. Whenever I want to demo a board, I just stop by the shop and pick up whatever boards I feel like riding for free. I always buy my boards and gear from them b/c I have never found a better price anywhere. Granted, I get these deals b/c the owner knows that I buy all of my gear from him (wakeboarding and snowboarding) and I send everyone I can to him. There are certain online shops that I would consider buying from (Matt makes a great point about the ones that help support Wakeworld).
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
Ty Mike treats everyone "awesomely" thats why I wont deal with any one else. He has been good to me for the last 3 years.

Dave check my profile, look at Boat
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
mike is the man. i have sent him a ton of referrals.
Old    damnation            07-31-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
Awesome Gary!!! I can't wait to check it out sometime in person. Da kid is going to LOVE that!

Make sure you post pictures of that beauty when you take delivery.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
you bet I will Dave
Old    trickskisrock            07-31-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
Don't forget the extra benefits that your local boardshops provide to the community at large as well. Here in San Diego, Wakesports Unlimited is represented at every wakeboarding, waterskiing, or watersports event around. Whether helping organize local days to ride with pros or giving younger riders the chance to experience their first tournament, local boardshops should be an integral part of your local boarding community. Without them, you really lose a huge part of our sport. Although, I understand having to go elsewhere on the occasion that stock is sold out or occaisionally way too overpriced, any good shop should be willing to work with you to get you exactly the setup you need. Don't forget the importance of being able to use your local shop for warranty work. Unfortunately with the lighter performance boards and bindings being produced now, warranty work is becoming all to common a way of life. Don't expect to buy your gear online and then have your local shop warranty it for you. Support the people that support you.