Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
So I am wanting to get some good pics from the upcoming Rail Jam in Dallas tomorrow night. I have never done any action shooting at night and was hoping to get some suggestions. The area will be decently lit but I assume I'll need some extra light. I recently got a 580ex but was wondering if riders cringe on you putting a flash in their face when they are on a rail with concrete on either side?!

Here is what I have to work with:
300D
Kit Lens
50 f/1.8
70-200 f/4

Last year you could get as close as you wanted so I was thinking the 50 would give me some good shots. There is also a patio 15 feet from the rail so that is an option as well. Any tips on shooting angles, settings, use of my 580, etc. would be very helpful.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
FROM EXPERIENCE I WOULD SAY KEEP YOUR SHUTTER SPEED AROUND 200-250 I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD BE AT AROUND 2.8 OR SO ON YOUR F STOP, YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH IT A LITTLE BIT. i SHOT A SNOWBOARD RAIL JAM WITH MY 17-40 AND STRUGGLED BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET MY F STOP DOWN AT ALL. WAS DEFINITLEY WISHING I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THAT 2.8....HAHA. i DON'T REALLY KNOW THAT MUCH THOUGH SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK WITH SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
So the 50 may be a good option then. I think I can get close enough for sure to use it so maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the feedback.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Play around with different shutter speeds and the flash
Upload
This is unedited, straight from the camera
Clay Fletcher, Wallride Nose slide, OWC
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
One thing to try. Set your flash to second curtain and set your shutter to something like 1". Then follow the rider and the flash will pop at the last instant of the exposure and you'll get a cool shot. Pan smoothly with the camera tho. You will need to adjust your F-stop so you don't overexpose too badly.

I've shot many riders with the flash, and haven't had a complaint yet. I think they like it. :-)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-09-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
It NEVER hurts to ask the riders if your flash is distracting them. But for what it's worth, I've never once run into an issue with my flash distracting riders.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-10-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Swami,
Do you have a example of a second curtain shot ?
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Upload
Shot 1/13 f4. second curtain sync.

One thing, try to catch it on a black background. See the flash shoots so quick the burst captures what it flashes. So you can do a long exposure, but still catch a pretty sharp image.

Best thing...experiment.. flash work is a challenge, but fun.

-S
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
(both shots are Ryan Anderson... awesome rider from Oklahoma.)

This one is more standard. 1/250 f3.5
Upload
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
Well, all in all, I had a good time. I shot in manual mode and adjusted the EC on my flash depending on where I was standing and what ramp the guys were hitting. After shooting a few shots I noticed that I could not adjust my shutter speed for anything faster than 1/200 when using my flash in ETTL mode. I could sometimes set it for 1/250 but then as soon as I would push the shutter halfway it would jump me back to 1/200. Does anybody know why that would happen??

Here are a few. Most of the riders were getting worked so it was hard to get many "good" shots. Comments and feedback welcomed.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Ok, never mind. My pics are less than 150KB but it isnt' letting me attach any.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Eubanks: I had the same problem at 145kb. I reduced mine to 125kb to be sure that it would fit in there.

What camera are you using and what does the manual say the maxiumum flash sync shutter speed is?

It might be ETTL, but I hardly ever shoot that, I usually just stick the Flash in manual mode.

-S
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-12-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I'll have to take a look at the manual. I have the original DR (300D). Yeah, I should have probably just used it in Manual mode but I'm just figuring out how to work this thing! I posted some of the pics on Dallas Wakeboarding but I believe you have to be logged in to see them.

http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=26&page=viewtopi c&t=8509
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
oh yeah, the Digital Rebel max sync speed is 1/200.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-12-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Swami - Thanks for registering and the feedback. Yeah, Dustin took a bad wreck for sure. }