Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
I have a Helium Swat right now. Doesnt float well and comes unzipped on hard crashes. Any tips on one that floats a hair better and wont come undone?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Just get a nice CGA. They are super thin now and it could save your life.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
everyone i have tried on is just too thick.. and bulky.. no flex at all
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
try the oniel law, super flexable. I have the revenge, I love it, but it's a bit stiff around the midsection.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-18-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Try the Jp Murray cga

The Hyperlite S/E CGA

Both thin and have great flex and are CGA.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Any good floating NON-CGA's yall know of?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
No, that's why they are non CGAs. If you can find a flexible CGA why not go that route? Hopefully it's not an image thing....
Old     (backflop)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-18-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
I've never tried a non-CGA (and am also fairly new to wakeboarding) and have been dieing to ask this question.

Does it really matter if a life vest is a little stiffer? The only thing I can think of that you would need to bend over on is on grabs, but even on those its better technique to bring the board up instead of bending over.

Or is the reason people prefer to wear non-CGA vests just comfort? (e.g., a t-shirt is more comfortable than a sweater?)
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
Its not.. Trust me. I just love the freedom I get from my non cga. Its almost like wearing nothing. Unsafe of course but its better than rding with 4 inches of foam on. Also the only thing im going off of is the Helium CGA's they have at TSR. They are the only CGAs I have ever ridden, so I'm new to the "Thin and Flexible" CGA vests.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-18-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
dude those CGAs at TSR as super super stiff. my cga billabong is nothing like that. you're right if my only reference were those things i would buy one either, i hate those vests.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
I can understand the want for lighter more flexible vests.
Seriously check out oniel and jet pilot CGAs. They are thin thin. Of course they aren't non cga thin, but they are getting there. The law really is about as close as you can get.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-18-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
CGA's aren't nearly 4 inches thick any more. Most times you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference from what you're looking for (good floating non-cga) from an actual "wakeboarding" CGA vest. So why not just go to a CGA?

What it comes down to IMO is you can't have a t-shirt float 120 pounds of muscle. It just doesn't work.

More on topic, just go try some on if you can. Sounds like you're in an area where you have a shop close by, too. (lucky dog !)
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Yea Ben!! Thats why I'm super biased on CGAs. Im gonna look into a CGA vest.. I just gotta get to a shop! I appreciate it!
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Yea.. Shops everywhere in TX!! Ill check it out and try to keep my bias's at bay. I have ridden about 10 diffrent types of non cga. but with me movin to the ft. worth area and WSR opening along with DWC in the near future.. I figure it would be smarter to buy a CGA instead of trying to hide my NON cga under a jersey lol
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-18-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
murray designed one anyone try that vest?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-18-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Then new style oneill boost isn't bad... not as good as a CGA but better than others.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-18-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Just picked up a new Rip Curl Dawn Patrol vest after one of my older ones disappeared on Christmas Day, CGA and cheap but it works and I don't feel like I've missed any grabs because of it.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       02-19-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
There are a lot of nice side entry CGA vests too. I have a LF watson side entry I really like - big arm holes and short waisted.

My other vest is the JP Murray Full Metal Jacket and it is also nice and thin and flexy - a lot like the Oneill Law.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
XCEL Method vest!!!!

It is non-CGA but still floats really well (will keep your head above water even without your board on.)

I ban non-CGAs on my boat because I consider them dangerous (The A-10 couldn't float a cat) but the Xcel Method is great.

I can almost guarantee it's exactly what you're looking for.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-21-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
The liquid force Henshaw comp vests float pretty well for a non-cga. I don't know if they're still making them for 2010.
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-21-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
I started rocking the hyperlite non-cga catalyst and the vest is great, a lot of floatation, super flexibale and it has 2 buckles so it looks like a cga vest also which might come in handy at some cable parks.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-23-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
O'neill Outlaw.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-23-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
My thick lifejacket messes up my steez!

I just got a Helium Paisley CGA and it is incredible thin. Also glideskin-like, whatever you wanna call that - tumbleturns here i come.