Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-30-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
So i am starting on my ballast project and I bought a 1 1/4" Bronze Intake Strainer and am wondering what the pros and cons are of using that type of intake as opposed to a 1 1/4" through hull mushroom headed opening? It seems like with the strainer that is a lot of pressure on the ballast system when running at high speeds? Anyone got input?
Old    d_fresh            05-31-2007, 4:14 AM Reply   
The scooper type intake is mainly used when you use aerator style pumps in your ballast systemn. And you are correct as far as water always being forced into the intake. That is why a valve, being manual or electric, is required between the intake and pumps. Aerator pumps will still allow water to pass thru them, even when not running. The mushroom style intake is most commonly used in impellar style pump systems. These pumps are self priming and require water being forced into them for priming.
Old    d_fresh            05-31-2007, 4:17 AM Reply   
Correction on the last sentence...they do not require water to be forced into them. I noticed on yourprofile that you have an 80's Ski Nautice. You will probably use the impellar type setup, since your fat sacks will be on the floor.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-31-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
ya i am using 2 540 launch pad sacs and one 580lb fat buddy. I think I am going to switch to the mushroom style. Thanks Doug
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
there is a lot of posts on here debating the pros and cons of aerator pumps, but ultimately you need to do what's best for your application
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-31-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
WKB2k4 - you've seen my pics, right? I put a 1 1/4" mushroom on my transom. Most people put there's on the bottom of the hull.

I can't fill when I am moving (I can drain when moving though), but I do not have to open/close ANY valves to fill/drain).

I actually have a 1 1/4" SS mushroom thru-hull I could sell you cheaper than you'll find... LMK.

Pics: http://www.leftlaneends.net/sn2001/page2.html
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
I have a 1.5" scupper intake. As others pointed out, this is a better setup for a one-way system; not trying to pump out thru the bottom.

I drilled 3 holes in the back of the scupper. It still has plenty of scoop action, but this limits the pressure build up on the aerator pumps at high speed.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-31-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
Do what rich G did and you will be styling!!. It is what I had on my boat and it worked fantastic. Best part is that if your pump goes out, all you have to do is drive forward and it will fill your sacs.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-31-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
What about mounting the scupper backwards? That way you don't have the pressure going forward and to prime you just go in reverse. This is just a thought I don't know if it would work, I'm hoping you guys could tell me that.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-31-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
Kyle, that would work perfect. Just go a bit in reverse to prime the pump and you are set. Good thinking!!!
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-31-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
I thought about mounting the scupper backwards. I just returned the scupper and am going with a 1 1/4" through hull, mushroom style opening. Then I am hoping to find some Y valves or make some that will have a flapper for what i want. Check out my drawing of the y valves. I wonder if they make these things. It is designed so that when in forward the flapper will close off the part to the side wall through hull and all the water will go to the pump and then when the pumps are in reverse that flapper will close and the water will force itself out the side wall openings.

The reason i like this idea is because it is easy to take water from 1 hole and split it to 3 holes, but not so easy to go from 3 holes down to 1 in terms of speed and functionality. Anyones thoughts?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-31-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
sorry here is the photo
Upload
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-31-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
If you have the aerator pump below the water line, it will always prime.
What do you think about this idea?
I actually have been toying around with a new ballast system. I had a water puppy but thinking about aerators. If the sacs are above the water line they will gravity drain. You could in a sense use one input line from a mushroom. If you had the input coming into an aerator with a check valve than to the sac to fill...using the same line,coming from the sac, you would "t" off right before the check valve to a 12v solenoid sprinkler type valve usually toro is a good one. You would than t back into the mainline between the water and the aerator. Should gravity drain or worst case scenario put in a second aerator in line with the solenoid (even using the same 12v leads to both).
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
ty1on, i think you would need the second drain aerator pump to push water thru the first. unless i'm misunderstanding your design. also, most sprinkler valves run on 24v. May work sluggishly w/ 12. Unless you found a true 12V solenoid. if so, link it up!! But hey, they siphon out if you don't check/ball valve them! May take a minute to drain, but i'm curious now..

I absolutely love my system. 4 pumps 3 bags. about 10 min. fill/drain. I REALLY like driving across the lake and pulling up fully loaded when we get to the spot.

Eric, you need those 3-way water splitter jobs.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
I will look, but toro used to make a 12v version.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
ya i figured out a way to do the one way valves the right way so that my idea will work. We shall see how things turn out. I am almost done with my pop up cleats. Tomorrow morning I'm going to start working on the ballast project and hope to finish most of it tomorrow minus the tubing and wiring. I will finish the wiring on monday and the tubing when it arrives.