Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
I was just thinking if you have a setup that has a preamp with dual inputs and you have an ipod; do you need a head unit?

I say no.
Old    whitechocolate            07-14-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
no You dont need a Head unit you can run it just as you have described
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2004, 9:59 PM Reply   
don't you need a remote wire to turn the amps on?
Old    trip            07-15-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
Couldn't you put your remote wire on a switch?
Old    whitechocolate            07-15-2004, 7:14 AM Reply   
My bad I forgot, Yes you need a remote to turn everything on and off you will have to wire a switch to turn everything on.

Some amps have no remote, I.E newer JL Amps feel voltage threw the rca cables and automaticly kick on.

Jan is not running JL amps so you will need a Kick on as well as a switch that will turn your pre amp on
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
to be honest, I asked the question because I was thinking about upgrading to a new Clarion XMD but then started thinking that I now really only use my ipod. I realize I could use the AUX input on the new unit but why introduce more loss in the system? I just saved myself $350! Thanks guys for your comments
Old    whitechocolate            07-15-2004, 12:11 PM Reply   
Jan the thing you will gain is Remote volume cotrol of your system. Unless the volume on your Pre Amp is located in a easy spot you will be hatin it. The volume control on the I-opd is cool but its very sencitieve and not easy to adjust while out on the water. My volum on the I pod satys in one location Almost all the way up with all the EQ's on the Ipod off. The volume on the pre amp stay in one location. Just shy of 1/2 way up and then I use the remote on the Deck and remote's to turn up or mute sound. It works great. I would higley recomend getting the XMD-3 and a Remote. It makes driving and working the volume a breeze

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=881&highl ight=remote+location

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
What sux is my dash does not have that nice flat spot in it to put the remote there. The boat goes in the garage to start installing the new system tonight. We'll see where I end up. Is there a local source that has XMD's cheap?
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
What about when you have a new CD that you want to play or a friend brings a CD along that they want you to hear. Or you want to listen to the radio. I mentioned this in a thread yesterday, Alpine has a head unit coming out end of the summer that you'll be able to plug an Ipod right into and control the ipod from the head unit and remote. Just letting ya know...
Old    whitechocolate            07-15-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
Jan: Isnt your dash is like Myn????? I think we have the same dash pod's and thats where I mounted my remote.

yes Alpine has a I-pod ready head unit, That thing is sweet, I see BMW has wired there cars to work with a I-pod.