Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    schooner            07-12-2004, 11:06 PM Reply   
Hi'll, this weekend we're on the lake with my 04 LSV. Everything was just fine, wake is great (=huge) behind this boat. One thing I noticed - at one point somehow something made the wake very steep just when I was approaching it and then... you know that song... I believe I can fly:-)) - It was AWESOME!!! If only I would kow how to replicate this. (We run full rear ballasts and the wedge, I noticed that with front ballast full the wake is big nut not steep.) Any advice how to make wake steeper?
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-13-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
LSV? We talking Malibu or Moomba?
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-13-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
Oops, nevermind, just noticed the wedge...Malibu. If the wake got steep just as you were approaching it it could be that the additional drag you created with your edge pumped the wake up a little. Do you have a progressive edge? Cut hard? I notice the wake do that on some smaller boats with smaller engines that I can "slow down" with a hard cut, but I'd be a little suprised if you could do that in something as formidable as an LSV. Only thing I can suggest to make the wake bigger/steeper is the obvious - more weight.
Old    mb_girl            07-13-2004, 7:53 AM Reply   
My guess would be that someone moved positions in the boat, front to back or vice versa. Which it would be though, I couldn't tell you since I have a DD.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-13-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
If you want to keep both front ballast and rear full and get a steep wake.
2 simple ways for a steeper wake

1. Don't let anyone sit in the bow. Make them sit in the back.
2. Add some lead to the rear of the boat.

If you want a steep wake don't add as much weight in the front.

(Message edited by ridn9high on July 13, 2004)
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-13-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
Mike is correct. More weight in back = steeper wake. Also, that particular cut into the wake could have listed the boat a little to that side, which can also affect the wake ever so slightly.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-13-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
more weight in the back= steep
more weight in the front= rampy
Old    sbvfive            07-14-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
The reason why there is disagreement here is becasue boat hulls are different. I have never had an LSV so I can't say, but what I do suggest is next time your boat is on the trailer, get on your back and crawl underneath and look at the contour of the hull. The reason I say this is because before we bought our X-Star, we used to ride behind a MC prostar 190. The hull of the boat had its deepest V in the front, and toward the rear, it flattened off drastically. So we weighted the front more than the rear to get that deeper V in the water deeper. We still weighted the back, but we didn't overdo it. If we really slammed the back down the wake would just get flat. So basically, find out whether your boat prefers wieght in the front or the back to get steeper by looking at the hull and experimenting.

One other thing that I think was overlooked. You said that suddenly the wake got steeper....the driver probable turned just slightly as you were cutting in, making the wake roll over a little steeper. It is called a "turn in" or something, not exactly sure, but riders use it to learn 7's all the time....it steepens up the wake, plus gives you a little slack on the landing to help you get the last handle pass in. It helped my 7 attempts drastically, now if I could just hold the handle on the landing.....
Old    sbvfive            07-14-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
I read the last posts wrong....so ignore mine. There was no disagreement....so listen to the other advice!! Sorry. But don't rule out that the boat turned and steepened the wake up on that one jump.