Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-20-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
I am currently riding a ricky G and my knees have been hurting. I thinks its from the hard landings. I was comparing the width to must other 138cm boards and the ricky G is about .3 inches more narrow. I want to get another board ranging from 138-141 but I want something a little wider with softer landings. Besides the marius, are there any other boards that have really soft landings. I was looking at the gator militant and gator model. They seem like really wide boards .
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-20-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
Leo binding will make a big difference as well. LF has some great foot beds that make landings much softer. I rIde the Teams and I love them.
Old    wickedwake            06-20-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
The Transcend has really soft landings. I love that board.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
once again i'm backing up one of clay's comments. the transcend is the smoothest landing board i have ever ridden..... and i currently own 5 boards. that board rips.
Old    loren            06-20-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
I am currently riding the O'brien demented and that board seems to have softer landing than the other boards I have ridden. If you think about how big Shapiro goes, it makes sense. It might be a bit wider I'm not sure.
Old    stormrider            06-20-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Absolute with Zues bindings.

The softest landings, however, are down the other wake. My son has the low impact riding down to a certain extent. At the wake its like he digs his back foot in and that sends him up straighter, gets hang time then down the other wake. Sorta looks like ollieing a skateboard.

Ride behind boats with steeper wakes. CC SANSE, X-2, Malibu Wakesetter, Supra Launch, for example.

If I see him landing in the flats, we let the rope out another five.

One key to progressing and staying in this sport is to make as much progress with as little impact as possible.

I've been on this site for a while and I have seen a lot of people come and go, many with impact injuries.
Old    wakeboarder408            06-21-2005, 12:22 AM Reply   
Im with Steven on the board too. I had the 04' Absolute Plat and my friend tried it and loved it so much he bought it off me so now i got the 05' Absolute Plat with LF Team bindings and i love them. The board lands super soft and its easy and fun to ride.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-21-2005, 4:12 AM Reply   
The Murray lands really softly. We convert people every single week, and the first thing they say is how nice it lands.
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2005, 5:00 AM Reply   
I just bought a '05 Absolute and I am lookin to buy '05 Transits! I tried the LFT's a few weeks ago and they were SO comfortable! The absolute board is VERY smooth on landings and has amazing pop
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-21-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
Try the 147 ERA. The board is huge and has the softest landings I've found.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-21-2005, 6:53 AM Reply   
ricky g and era = the same board.

I honestly don't think you'll find a softer landing board than the Marius. That seems to be its primary trait.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
Hey Travis,

Eric Fox here....just bought a Murray for Cheryl...so yeah you converted us too! I would recommend the new Transits for cushion. They are very comfortable, but I hate having to adjust two sets of laces.

Eric
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-21-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
Do you have something against the Marius. I am about to order one based on recommendations since no local shops have one to demo. Worst case, if I don't like it I will Ebay it (or offer it for demos locally at a cheap rate.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
The Valhalla lands super soft. It has a large center spine that really helps displace the water to soften the landings.

Later,
jjakober
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-21-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
schmo go with the Marius. It really lands soft in the flats. My son rides it and is addicted.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
I think Leo is aware of the Marius, but is looking for other boards with really soft landings.
Old    xtremrider            06-21-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
went from a Ricky G and just got my transcend 2 weekends ago and i am very satisfied, landings are soft and suprisingly forgiving
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-21-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
I just ordered the Marius today. First time I will be buying a board without riding it (not that I didn't try). Anyway, it sounds like it will fit the bill. Buywake gets stuff to me in a day so hopefully I will be able to take it out tomorrow night and see how it does for the old bones. Soft landings = good as long as it has decent pop, I should be good to go.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
I don't know if I can afford the Marius right now. Thats why I was seeing what I could get on clearance. Like maybe an older absolute. What about the 2004 Premier Hyperlite, looks like a big board.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
Or the gator boards militant?
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
The premier isn't the softest landing board. The Belmot or Tement lands softer then the premier. Soft landings are super important to me. I'll be testing out the 3DS this weekend.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-23-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
you could ride the Fish 129 which would be the equivilant to a 139 board...i am not a huge fan of the fish because it is WAY too aggresive for me. I like a mellow board. But everyone I know talks about how the fish has such plush landings. A lot of people enjoy the fish overall. Give it a try!
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-23-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
Dave...have you gotten your Marius yet? Curious to see how you like it and how it rides. Did you say you got the Gravity bags now in your SSV?
Old    surf_da_wake            06-23-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
the TFD/3DS!!!
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-23-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Yes, the Marius came in yesterday (ordered it 1pm on Tuesday and was at my door 10:30am on Wednesday (gotta love buywake/Ambush just being across town).

Anyway, I am going out tonight so I will let you know how I think it rides compared to the others.

Yes, I did get upgraded bags in the 24. It's now got just over 1000lbs up front and about 1700lbs in the rear. Still huge but steeper and firmer, verified by a few people so far.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-23-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
Dave, didn't know that Buywake was in our area...that's awesome, nothing like ordering new stuff and it being at your door the next day.

Yeah, go out tonight and tear it up on your new Marius and then let me know how you liked it. I'm not in the market for a new board yet, but its fun to hear about the new gear. What size did you get...I assume the 140 cm, but just checking.

Wow!! Gravity poundage sounds unreal...I bet that wake is huge. I'm going to Clemson this weekend to ride with my dad (he's never tried before, but he is an old school slalom guy...so hopefully he'll pick it up). But we definitely need to go out again...I'll shoot you an email when I'm free.

Have fun tonight and enjoy the weekday glass.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
Ok, Just bought a 2004 Platinum Prodigy 140 on clearance. Hope I like it.

Anyone want a 1 year old 2004 Ricky G. Never hit sliders. Make an offer.
Old    tyler_swasey            06-23-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
i have been ridin the substance 138 and i just got the 142 i love the smooth transitions and how it takes you strait up. it makes it easy to controll how far in the flats you go try that with any one on the LF boots and your knees should be feeling good
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-23-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
As Stacey said, TFD/3DS I should know after a knee repalcement
Old     (hypo303)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-28-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
i went from a 138 ricky g to a liquid force team 139 because of the hard smackdowns
the team has a nice landing and faster
if you like the rg you will love the team
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
That's a great board Leo.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
Thanks J-Rod. Unfortunately it is being shipped from WA by UPS and will take 9 days. I wont get it till july 5. I am leaving for TSR july 4th and wont get back till the 8th and I have a contest the 9th so I don't think im going to switch boards without trying it first.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-30-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
TFD is the softest landing board I have ever ridden, followed by the temet. I rode a new 3ds last week and it does not land as soft as the old tfd. The 3ds does have more pop, but I am 30 with a bum ankle and soft landing keep me on the water more than a board with big pop. I rode byerlys for years and was always getting hurt(still ride my 03 at OWC) since I switched to the TFD I throw krypts and scarecrows all the time and tantrums & raleys off the double ups with no pain on landings!!!
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-06-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
Da smoothest ride plus fattest air equals the sickest tricks .
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-06-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
Da Moose has spoken!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
'05 143 Team with '05 Sphynx has surpisingly soft landings (softer than my '03 142 Subject with '03 Nice PRS1 bindings). My friends '05 141 Parks has soft landings as well.

If you like your board, you might just want to try different bindings first..