Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-20-2012, 11:06 PM Reply   
After a few days with a very sore and painful arm/elbow I finally went to the doctor to get it checked out. Turns out I have a bad case of tendinitis in my left elbow. I have been resting and taking medication the last few days and time off work to rest my arm but I have been told that once it develops I will always have it to some degree. I am curious what to expect from it come wakeboard season in a few months. Should I already expect it to limit my length of rides or amount of rides?
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-21-2012, 12:58 AM Reply   
I sometimes get it so bad that the pain has made me puke.
I've found no way to get rid of it but using an arm wrap for tennis elbow helps. As does ice and advil after riding.
I'm goofy so my right arm takes the pain. I often just ride switch while I'm simply following the boat/ cable as this helps reduce the strain a bit too.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-21-2012, 1:26 AM Reply   
I get this just about any time I ride for three or more long days in a row, even though I ride switch just as much as regular. I get it in both arms. It's very painful, but I try not to take any pills for it. A pro rider I know told me he takes 4 advil before every ride, but that really isn't good for your body. You can work it out with a deep, strong massage. The more if hurts, the more it seems to help loosen up.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2012, 3:42 AM Reply   
I've got the same on both of my arm (I ride a lot of switch) for like 4 years. Some people told me to drink a lot of water (before and during the sessions), and avoid all the food based on milk (ice cream, creme, ...).
I've heard that acupuncture can be good some time.
I would't take pills because it's just hiding the pain, and it's just destroying your arm even more...
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-21-2012, 3:45 AM Reply   
I heard doing overhand bicep curls can help it. Think they work the brachialis muscle which is mostly neglected. Basically you use an EZ bar or dumbells at a preacher bench with an overhand grip. Make sure not to let your wrist drop and expect to use much less weight than a normal bicep curl.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-21-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely look into some of those suggestions and will be doing a lot more research. The doctor suggested that I wear a wrap for the next few days atleast and that along with ice really seem to be helping but I have had a few times where I moved my arm to fast and it really hurt. Hoping after a few days rest and I finish out the medication he put me on the pain will be reduced. Only problem I really have is that I am a custodian so all the physical work might end up being really tough everyday.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2012, 11:12 PM Reply   
I used to get it bad. I wore a velcro strap on my forearm near my elbow while riding and it made it so much better. I only felt it while riding and after a while about 6 months it went away.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2012, 11:16 PM Reply   
I have been wearing a forearm strap the last few days and that does seem to help. I have taken it off a few times and I can already tell the difference so I have a feeling I will be wearing it alot from now on. I am actually going to an Orthopedic tomorrow to see what he says.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-22-2012, 11:52 PM Reply   
I used to get horrible tennis elbow, but now hardly get it at all (unless I'm trying a trick that the falls yank on my arm a lot)

What helped me: hitting the gym! Getting the arms strong. Lots of plyometrics mixed in with some traditional (yet oh so boring) bicep curls, etc, etc.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2012, 12:14 AM Reply   
I used to get it in my right arm pretty bad. I was told by Nick Heaney to find a line with some flex to it. He was dead on...I switched to the Ronix Frank Mainline and let me tell ya it's a night and day difference. A normal Mainline has zero stretch...It's like riding on a steel cable. The Frank gives just a small amount of give and it has made my tendinitis pretty much go away. I love the Frank mainline. It's has this killer leather covering on it also so it never tangles up. Give it a go if you are getting arm pain. I'm sure there are others on the market but I can vouch for the Ronix.

Hope this helps!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-23-2012, 12:16 AM Reply   
I wish that worked for me. I was heavily into lifting for years. I don't work out any more, but I'm still very fit, and that doesn't seem to save me from tennis elbow. I suppose I might be getting it more often if I wasn't as strong as I am.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
And I all this time I thought that wakeboarding prevented tendinitis.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-23-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
And I all this time I thought that wakeboarding prevented tendinitis.
Maybe that is my problem! I am just not wakeboarding enough!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
I've been a computer programmer for 30 years. When people ask me how I don't get tendinitis I always told them it's the wakeboarding (and water skiing before that).
Old     (DEFIANTwake)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-23-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
Open your hand fully; there are three distinctive lines running across your palm from one side to the other. Measure from the centre of the middle one to the end of your middle (birdie) finger - this measurement is your grip size. Now go to a shop (one of those real ones that we should all support instead of using this lazy internet thing) and measure some handle circumfrences. Find one that is as close as possible to your grip size, buy it and go riding.

When you squeeze hard for a prolonged period on something too small for your grip size, it sends everything into spasm.

I used to suffer from this so bad I didn't want to ride anymore, then I learnt this and as it happens Rusty and I must have similar size hands. Marek handle = pretty much my size and no pain. Not even bothered with the strap since, that was 3 years ago.

Apparantly the Ronix Totem (?) handle is pretty chunky too, not sure if that's still available though.

Good luck.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-23-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
I will have to try that and see what happens. I am actually headed to the orthopedic this afternoon so will have to see what he says.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-23-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
I used to think that tendons developed like muscles and that working out and riding a lot would make my tendons so strong that I would never get tendonitis. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-23-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
There is a simple fix that I have used to great effect for years. Take off one of your 5' sections of spectra (or other non-stretch) and add a 5' length of Poly P. It will not affect your riding and it will offer a tiny bit of give that will save your elbow.

All you crazy kids with your fancy elbow straps and orthopedic surgeons, seriously just get a section of ski line and keep riding.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-23-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Doctor didn't seem to concerned today. Few more days rest and if no problems a follow up in a few weeks. Hopefully that is the case.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-23-2012, 6:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
There is a simple fix that I have used to great effect for years. Take off one of your 5' sections of spectra (or other non-stretch) and add a 5' length of Poly P. It will not affect your riding and it will offer a tiny bit of give that will save your elbow.

All you crazy kids with your fancy elbow straps and orthopedic surgeons, seriously just get a section of ski line and keep riding.
+1

Worked great for me. Elbow strap also helped.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-23-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
An old prevention method and speed-the-healing process up is before you ride--especially--and while you are sitting around is to extend your left arm and hand, PALM DOWN, out in front of you and parallel to the floor. Now, take your right hand and place it over the top of you left hand--just past your left knuckles. Push your left hand down with your right hand until you feel the muscle in your elbow stretch. It'll hurt at first but the more you do the faster you will heal. After that, with your left arm still extended, turn your left palm up, place your right hand on your left finger tips and pull down. NEVER PULL YOUR LEFT HAND BACK LIKE YOU ARE WAVING. If your elbow is bad, this will send you to the floor in pain but it works. The elbow straps are good also, but a coach or someone who works at a hospital will have access to the best. Good luck.
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-26-2012, 4:55 AM Reply   
I went through this ordeal some years ago. Straps, braces, exercises, etc. Then went on to getting steroid injections. The injections helped but the pain always returned. I ended up having surgery. Doc repaired the damage and I have been 100% ever since. Sorry I waited so long to have it done. Something to think about.

YMMV
Frank
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-26-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
Really hope it doesn't ever come to that. The rest I have been on the last week and a half has helped. Still a little pain every so often if I move my arm to fast but nothing like it was.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-26-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
Just went in for this a month ago or so. If anyone needs a copy of the exercise treatment form I got, just let me know and I can send it out.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-26-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
The handle suggestion sounds interesting.

I usually get this when I ride and fall back but still try to hold onto the handle, as a result it jerks my arm straight and it gets sore.

Ive also heard putting a 5' ski rope attachment on the end of the line helps as well as working out and all that stuff.

Id say stretching would be ideal as well..
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-26-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
Dtito the above, add the stretch line, use ice, ibuprophen ( to decr the chr pain component) and stretch. Also, the tennis elbow band/brace

dont hold the grip so tight , see doc if that doesnt help, you may need the steroid injection
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-26-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
I am definitely gonna give that rope idea a try.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-28-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
find an Active Release Therapist in your area. www.activerelease.com . I fix this all the time.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-28-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
An old prevention method and speed-the-healing process up is before you ride--especially--and while you are sitting around is to extend your left arm and hand, PALM DOWN, out in front of you and parallel to the floor. Now, take your right hand and place it over the top of you left hand--just past your left knuckles. Push your left hand down with your right hand until you feel the muscle in your elbow stretch. It'll hurt at first but the more you do the faster you will heal. After that, with your left arm still extended, turn your left palm up, place your right hand on your left finger tips and pull down. NEVER PULL YOUR LEFT HAND BACK LIKE YOU ARE WAVING. If your elbow is bad, this will send you to the floor in pain but it works. The elbow straps are good also, but a coach or someone who works at a hospital will have access to the best. Good luck.
Just tried this stretch and oh man did it do some stretching and help. I have had tennis elbow that comes and goes depending on how much riding and working out I do. The other thing I do that has helped a bunch is I keep a stress ball at my desk and squeeze it for a while each day. That has really helped when the pain comes on bad.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-30-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
I didnt read all the suggestions but what helps mine, especially early in aseason, is the litte velcro adjustable band they sell to wrap over the two areas that typically gets inflamed.

It basically adds pressure to whichever one you have issues with while riding and before it flares up. If i wear it while ridin and before it flares up , its almost 100% at preventing the flare ups..

you can get it at walgreen or cvs etc or soemwhere like that
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-30-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
physical therapy. You need to do the right stretches and strength building exercises, in small amounts ,daily for a couple weeks. When it acts up treat with ice, compression, stretching and anti inflammatories.

Sounds like your Dr is giving you a short term solution.