Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-30-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
I just moved to Colorado and I thought I would tackle this before the landscapers start. Has anyone dug out a pit for a trampoline before? If so, what did you use for drainage? How did you line it - or- keep the perimeter from falling in and eroding? And what did you put in the bottom? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old    358army            09-30-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
just make sure you dig it deep enough... reckon you shouldnt have to worry bout puttin a liner in. the water should just get sucked into the ground. as for the perimeter just dont make it to big so everybody is walking near it.... and this is that im assuming your digging the hole on/in the lawn...
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-30-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Hey Steve, I think that is a great idea! I would love to see the finished product.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-30-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
Yup, we had one for our rectangular trampoline. It was lined with mulch on the bottom, and 2x12's used for the sides (attached to 4x4's). Drainage was a bit of a problem... we lived on the lake, and the bottom of the trampoline pit was probably only a foot or so above the water table. After a big rain, it would gather a foot or so of water in the pit, and would take several days to drain out.

Keep in mind airflow... when you jump on the trampoline, it will compress the air underneath. On the rectangular trampoline, there was no padding over the corners so air would rush in and out through those holes. Just something to keep in mind.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-30-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
Steve,
We have a round pit for 14' tramp that is concreted . It has a sump in the middle with a submersible sump pump that is plumbed to the yard drainage. Check with your insurance company about permanent trampolines. We had to cheat to even acquire home insurance. If you'd like pics, let me know and I'll take some for you.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-30-2006, 11:23 PM Reply   
rod would you post them for the rest of us?
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-01-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
here is a pretty good resource on this subject, I received more detail directions from them via email, but I guess I deleted it somewhere along the line..

http://www.webounce.com/In-Grnd/
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
we have a rectangular trampoline dug out about halfway. i would recoment doing it that way, so you can get underneath it if you need to.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-01-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
I'll get some pics posted by tonight.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-01-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-01-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
As you can see, it can get a bit of algae underneath. I go under about twice a year with hose and shop-vac and get it clean.

Upload
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-01-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
Oh, and today wasn't one of those days. NFL takes precedence.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-01-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting the pics and the links guys. I've narrowed down the construction to one of a couple methods. I have also downloaded a pdf file with one method if anyone wants it.

Method 1: Much the same as Rod's set up. Dig hole, build retaining wall of some sort, allow for drainage.

Method 2: Dig hole in a pattern similar to a coffee filter or upside down pyramid. The hole is gradually deeper as you approach the center, and not so deep (except the legs)on the perimeter.

I'm leaning toward a retaining wall version with gravel or mulch in the bottom, with drainage to the main back yard channel. We'll see.

Thanks again for the help guys. True Wakeworld sharing!! This saved me some time.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-01-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Steve- I live in Colorado as well. I've built a few trampoline pits in the industry I'm in. If you're looking for some good "Colorado" ways of doing it drop me an email. It's something I can have done for ya as well. MileHighWakeboarder@msn.com
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-01-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
thats tight...if u had the money put some stone and tile...for drainage...
Old     (jaredb900rr)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
Whut's up Mr. Steve Jones? It's Jared from Utah! Long time no talk man. So, you moved to Colorado, huh? Tis the season (well, almost)!

I've done a number of in-ground tramp pits over the last 3 years. They can be done relatively cheap using plywood around the legs of the tramp forming an octagon with 4-6' stakes on the inside of the plywood so the wood doesn't cave in, 2x4s screwed along the top sides of the plywood and then treated 2x6s resting on top of the 2x4's and plywood to give it a clean finished look.

We use a few inches of 3/4" crushed gravel along side the walls of the plywood to allow for drainage and to keep the plywood from rotting. We also use 3-6" of gravel on the bottom to keep a clean look. Feel free to do something with drainage as long as you can slope it away from the tramp.

I can walk you through it if those instructions were a lil rough.

Jared
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-02-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
Steve, curious as to why you moved to Colorado? That is a beautiful place to be :-)
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-03-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the post Jared. I like that idea. The instructions are a little fuzzy but I'll PM you if I get lost. (And yes, very long time no talk.)

Peter, I'll PM you but in short; Sarah transferred with her firm, I hate Sierra Cement, and I'm over driving in the Bay Area. The lake situation blows out here but I'll get into a private lake by next spring....or build one.