Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-16-2010, 12:05 AM Reply   
I have an Aqua Tech D2 water housing for my D300. It is currently set up to shoot with a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 wide angle. Right now we will just be shooting from the housing...though I am working on a housed strobe system using RadioPopper PXs.

I don't think I want anything giant...as that will make it harder to get the tube from one side of the wake to the other...and position it where you want. We ride in the Delta...so you don't have a lot of room to use the boat to move the tube around...and that messes up the water anyway. I was thinking of something simple and flat like the LF 60"....or 72" Party Islands. Does anyone have much experience shooting from a tube. Any nuggets of wisdom are appreciated...especially regarding safety, etc.... With the 11-16...we will have to be very close to the rider. Should make for some cool shots.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-17-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
Definitely Party Island! Best shooting tube ever. Other than that the best suggestion is the bigger and the flatter it is the better your photos will be. Good luck!
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-17-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
Thanks...I will give the LF PI 72 a try...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-18-2010, 12:12 AM Reply   
Yeah..6' diameter is probably as small as you wanna go. I use a Straight Line Jumbo Buster tube that's flat and has handles in the middle of it which come in very handy. Looks like they've changed the design of it, though.

If this is your first time out, you might consider putting your rider a little further away than normal. Then as you guys get more comfortable you can start to experiment with different rope lengths.

As far as the housing is concerned, you should double and triple check that the o-ring is seated correctly (I like my Aquatech because I can see the rear o-ring to make sure it's all good). Then hold it under water for a bit and see if any leaks are getting in. Then check the buttons on the housing to make sure they're all working. Sounds a bit tedious, but it's a good habit to get into.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-03-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I'd like to see some shots of the 11-16 from a tube. I use a Canon version 11-16 and it is fantastic. it is awesome underwater too. I may invest in a tube later this summer. Post some pics.