Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
What bindings have the most support on the front of the ankle? I've got a bad ankle and want something that is really stiff on the front of it. Whenever I land on my toes I kind of compress the front of my ankle and it kills me.

I'm not really worried about lateral support, I wouldn't mind some flex there, but just curious about the front.

Thanks.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-15-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
I have heard good things about the slingshot D2's or D3's, because it has kind of a built in ankle brace. My 09 cells give a lot of support everywhere too, being such a stiff boot.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
slingshot d2's are rock solid.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
Another recommend for the Driver boots from Slingshot

But if you get the D3 (2009 Drivers) there is no ankle harness included. but slingshot may be able to add one from last years if you want one, or you may be able to get one from someone else who is not using theirs that has not thrown it away,... or you could get an ankle harness thing from an atheletic store, just be sure it fits around the removable intuition liner. or atleast that is my suggestion(s) on that tid bit
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       03-15-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
The ronix cell seemed pretty darn stiff. I wear ankle braces on both ankles and have for years. The cells seemed like they would be easy to get on with the braces and still cinch up tight.
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-15-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
i recommend the 08 murrays cause the have a ankle strap and they have removeable side stiffners so you can go controlable or loose.
Old    sdahockey21            03-15-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
09 cells hands down. Two words - FEET BELT.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-15-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
I think the hyperlite Era's would be the best for your needs. Look at some 2008 product and get a killer deal.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-15-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
watsons are probably the tallest binder I've ever used, and I feel the most secure i them. Being that I've broken one ankle and sprained the other in the last 18 months, (niether one wakeboarding) I like a tall, stiff boot that doesn't let my foot move much, and watson is the perfect ticket.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
cwb zeus's I think are really supportive. A crazy high wrap and stiff.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help fellas, I think i'm gonna go to my local shop and try a bunch of those on..

I've been snowboarding a bunch this winter, and my ankle has been getting aggravated constantly and the other day it just dawned on me an I was like..."oh s**t, how am I gonna wakeboard this summer with my ankle like this" So I've gotta get it healthy and get some more supportive bindings. And what sucks is I just bought a new pair of more flexy less supportive bindings at the end of the season last year. Oh well, I'll take any reason to buy some new gear!
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
get your ankle fixed. look for someone in you area who does ART. www.activerelease.com
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
^holy craps thats a lot of money. probably better in the long run, but spending close to 2000$ or a little over 400$ to get stronger, beefier bindings?

As long as your shopping around, check out the Hyperlite Mareks. Rusty played hockey for many years and designed his boot to resemble a hockey skate in strength and support. Sound right up your alley.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-16-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
My money is on the new Parks Bindings from RONIX. They fit better than OJ's glove. Try several bindings on at your local shop to see what fits best for your foot! Aloha
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
The Ronix Reliks (parks pro models) are designed to be low-cut and flexible for tweaking grabs. They do have the intuition liner that makes all the Ronix pro model boots fit amazingly, but in terms of high wrap support, these are the OPPOSITE of what you're looking for. From every major company the most supportive boot in the line is as follows:

HL - Marek
Ronix - Cell
LF - Watson
Slingshot - D2/D3
Obrien - Vice/Decade
CWB - Zeus

not entirely sure about the others. correct me if im wrong, but these sounds like the ones you should check out.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Lol!!! yeah the Reliks are possible the WORST boot someone with bad ankles could possibly choose!

haha, that being said, I tore my deltiod ligament and strained my achillies last weekend ridin and I ride with Cells! Crap!

Also try to see if the tongue stiffiners from the Byerly Pro boots will fit any of the above mentioned choices. I doubt it though except possibly the Slingshots.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
D2/D3 ... it has a built in ankle harness.... rock solid.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
D3 is the way to go!
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
all of the 09 Ronix pro model boots have built in ankle harnesses as well, known as the "feetbelt." They are laced thru the bottom set of laces, automatically cinching when the bottom laces are tightened.

I have loved and ridden Ronix Cells the last two years, but this year the Mareks felt the most solid out of anything. tough to beat the support of a boot designed to fit like a hockey skate.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-17-2009, 12:15 AM Reply   
Obrien Xenon's have great ankle support
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-17-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
LF Watson's are sooo comfortable. Plus they are higher up on the ankle, which I feel give more support. Or you could ride the type of binding you like and ride with an ankle brace.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-17-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help, I really don't want to ride with an ankle brace, because I know there is no way I will actually do that all the time, I'd wear it until it feels better, then I'd take it off and hurt it again.

I need some free time, cause I wanna go try some of these out!
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-17-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
i'll be honest... i botched a tantrum and ROCKED my ankle in the D2s... i've got bad ankles as well and i'll be singing the praises of my 08 ronix cells forever... i had swapped out the cells for the D2s while shipping the cells out for some new ones and the cells are much comfier to me... the D2s are closer to the board but this (to me) seems to add to the shock on your ankles and knees when landing in the flatts