Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-06-2012, 7:24 PM Reply   
http://news.yahoo.com/video/odd-1574...-28212934.html

Anybody else see this? I just opened my computer and up on yahoo was this video
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-06-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Just saw this posted on the Wakesurf section too. My bad, but still cool!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
Thats pretty sick. Couldnt imagine experiencing that
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-06-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
That is awesome! We used to get a lot of dolphins at my old ride spot and I always wanted them to race and jump alongside me like this, but they were pretty shy. I guess that makes them less likely to get hit by boats, which is a very good thing.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2012, 5:26 AM Reply   
That is really neat. It makes sense because the dolphins love to cruise behind a boat that is just under the speed of rotation for the hull. The same speed for a good surf wake. I guess because the dolphin are found more in the deep, fast current, well traveled passes is why we don't see more of this. I am always looking for a quiet hidy hole and so, not many dolphin there.

I did run a boarder right over a manatee once a few years ago... LOL those things move pretty fast when they get Ollied!
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-07-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
This happens to us all the time off of Keewayden in Naples, FL. Sometimes there is one on each side of the rider.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedude83 View Post
This happens to us all the time off of Keewayden in Naples, FL. Sometimes there is one on each side of the rider.
Really? That's where I Ollied the manatee. I have seen black bears swimming across the channel and allot of other stuff but generally only see the dolphins in the pass. Are you guys riding in the general ski area channel or closer to the pass? Maybe they dont like my boat. that happens too.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-07-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
Kid thinks he's good, then BAM.. surfing dolphin shows up to the party and steezes a few airs... Thunder stolen.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-07-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
What an experience. I'm going to have to see if I can hook that up at the in-laws house in Crystal River, FL where these guys are everywhere. Only crappy thing, there would be a nuclear plant in the back drop of the shot.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-07-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Really? That's where I Ollied the manatee. I have seen black bears swimming across the channel and allot of other stuff but generally only see the dolphins in the pass. Are you guys riding in the general ski area channel or closer to the pass? Maybe they dont like my boat. that happens too.
To be exact, it's usually near the old wooden docks.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
No kidding. I will have to start paying more attention. i am in Marco and ride Keywadin weekdays and sunsets. secret spot on weekends. What boat are you in when here? I'll say hi.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-08-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
No kidding. I will have to start paying more attention. i am in Marco and ride Keywadin weekdays and sunsets. secret spot on weekends. What boat are you in when here? I'll say hi.
I'm usually in a red xstar when i'm down there. It's my buddy Brad's boat. I live in the Chicago area but I am in Naples in March, April, and November to ride. Can't wait to be back in a month.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-08-2012, 6:35 AM Reply   
Never wakesurfed in the ocean but have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by our ocean friends while surfing. I had a 20 foot baby gray whale surface about 15 yards beyond where I was sitting in the lineup. She was cruising parallel to shore. When she surfaced she exhaled and it was the loudest sound I have heard whlie sitting in the water. You could see the barnacles on her back as surfaced and then disappeared back under water. Coolest experience ever.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Thats great, what a memory.
Not to jack this thread, but I never saw someone surfing at that speed, straight away, we've alway gone slow in an arc. Is this common?