Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (californiacablepark)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
Investment Opportunity - Cable Board Park Located In Southern California
What We Have:
1. The best centrally located area to start a cable-ski park in California
2. A lake big enough to support 2 cables (up to 20 boarders at a time)
3. No water costs (the lake is ready to be used)
4. A verbal city approval (the city wants the project)
5. Secured land and water lease agreement.
6. A business plan with construction costs, and potential park revenues
7. Possible opening date of Summer 2009-2010

What We Need:
Estimated Investment $1,000,000.
This is a great opportunity for the right investment group or investor.
For more information please contact CaliforniaCablePark@yahoo.com}
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
what city would it be in.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
who do i make the check to?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
I heard about this earlier today. Not sure what city it will be in, but I believe it is in SD county. Hope so anyway. I am sure we will be hearing more on this soon.
Old     (californiacablepark)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
Ryan: location classified
Nick: please, no checks, only cash! j/k
Buzz: the sooner we build - the sooner we all ride
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-15-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
john, you get my text?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-15-2008, 10:58 PM Reply   
Good luck. I truly wish the project the best. The legalities will be tough. It hasn't happened out here yet for a reason. Not sure how SoCal is the "best" centraly located spot in Cali? Wouldn't central be more like Stocton, Fresno, Sacto? We could support two I bet. Socal and Norcal...
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-15-2008, 11:06 PM Reply   
What happened to the Santee Cable park? or is this the same one looking for financing?
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       09-16-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
There is discussion about this at our San Diego local forum.

http://wakeboardsd.net/forum/index.php?topic=312

you may want to see if anyone local is interested in getting involved - I think you may have quite a bit of support around here.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Call me crazy but 2 parks in SD? Doubt it. But more power to them if they ACTUALLY get one over here on the West Coast.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-16-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
It would be nice to get a cable park in the 2 or 3 most populated areas of the state. SD/LA/OC area and then one up in the Bay Area.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-16-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
hopefully not smellsomore, even so, I'd still have an annual pass.

(Message edited by slipknot on September 16, 2008)
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-16-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Somebody call RedBull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they got the $$.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
If I hit the lotto, I would for sure invest in that project. What about Wash.? I think we could use a cable park here. My dream is to own one of these, to bad I am not rich
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-16-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Sacramento would be the best location...being in the middle of the state would gererate the most $$$, IMO.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-16-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
sacramento gets way too cold in the winter. weatherwise, there's no better place for a cable park than socal.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Wetsuits N Drysuits
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
The Santee park is still moving along. Hopefully there will be a city council vote next month. They are expected to approve it just like the water board did. As far as the other proposed park, still waiting for more info. It all sounds good to me.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-16-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
tsr gets cold people still go.

an indoor one would be sick!
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Wait a minute. Solicitation for initial investment of $1,000,000 but won't say where the park will be? And for more information, contact a yahoo email address? Hmmm. Not the way I would go about it...
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-17-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Otay? Says who Kenny?
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-17-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
"Solicitation for initial investment of $1,000,000 but won't say where the park will be? And for more information, contact a yahoo email address? Hmmm. Not the way I would go about it..."

Please think next time before typing-it's not hard. Google is this new term that all the kids use today. Try his name there. Next, if you took the time to read his profile (gasp) you would see that John is already VESTED in this lifestyle. And why in the world does a Yahoo email addy mean anything to anyone, it's certainly not an HOTMAIL account. Could you then please inform us, if we were seeking a partner in a Wakesports venture, a place better to seek one, than a Wakesports site? Next time, before you jump someone, look before you leap.

Best of luck John in this new venture. I wish I didn't have so many pokers in the fire right now, because the upside is present.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-17-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
Similar/the same property as this place??
http://www.esquilago.com/index.html
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-17-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
That would be rad. I don't want to have to drive all the way to Santee to hit the cable! :-)
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-17-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Sacramento and area within 2 hours has the largest population of wakeboarders in the west (this is my opinion, but I think I am correct).
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-17-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
^^^^^I would agree with that too. Anywhere near the Delta has a huge following that would make a cable park profitable.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-17-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
if "pro shop" sets up a deal with a drysuit company you could rent drysuits for winter riding...maybe even have a big hot tub on site!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-17-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
I always wonder how much you can really make with a cable park. No matter how many wakeboarders you have in the area, you can only put them through that line so fast. It seems like your revenue stream is effectively capped by that line of riders.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Yea, it kind of is, but then you pay by the hour and not the pass, so it's the people standing around in line, or taking a break, or snacking from your concession that you need and have to keep returning. And not let paying customers see all the free-rides you hand out like at OWC
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-17-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Justin, that esquilago place is a bust.
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-17-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
I think a cable could do well if it done right. At least two lakes & cables.

One for the people who don't know how to ride cable and just want to ride with out hitting anything.

The other a slider park with a island in the middle to help with the chop of riding.

6 people at a time on each lake = 12 riders max 4 to 5 laps. The lines will move fast enough to get 50 people enough riding time with out complaints. (I think )
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-17-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
I personally think a cable park would be awesome in So-Cal, but I know there aren't that many people that have been to a cable park that live here (which would make me 2nd guess the actual market for the park)...and Mike's right, you have to have another attraction or another way to bring in revenue to keep the park running.
Again, AWESOME idea for So-Cal...typically the permits for water in So-Cal are almost impossible to get.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-17-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
On FUEL last night was the Cable Worlds. That place is insane! Makes OWC and TSR look like peanuts.

Build a Camsur park in California and somebodys gonna get rich quick.

(Message edited by slipknot on September 17, 2008)
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-17-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
If you run the numbers, I believe that it is very difficult to make a cable park profitable UNLESS you can partner with a city that wants the project, and will provide the lake for low rent or other considerations. OWC is in general pretty busy as cable parks go, but I doubt that they have more than 100 paying customers a day. Do the math- that's less than $4000 per day in revenue. There's insurance, electricity, maintenance, payroll, sliders to build, etc.etc.etc...
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-17-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
I could see San Jose possibly being willing to build one since they just built a $4 million concrete skate park.
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2008, 1:00 AM Reply   
$1,000,000 for investment. Maybe $100,000. Do the numbers. Someone is trying to make some bank off of an investor. Upfront investment, if done right (don't get me wrong on this), is very minimal. Do a little research and look at others' business plans for cable parks. Sorry bud, but I wouldn't invest that much in a cable park where the returns are stated in the posts above.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-19-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Do the numbers, you means the ones' you didn't bother to do? You honestly think you could build a cablepark for 100K? Maybe on the moon, but certainly not in CA. Somebody claims $4K per day, 30 days in a month is $120,000.00 per month, 12 months still in a year=$1,440,000.00. And your contending this isn't a good investment for someone? In business, there's a term called marketing. Just because you build "something" for X amount, doesn't mean your READY to go. Doesn't mean the lines will form. You need to get your venue out in the open, and that can and does cost big money. Print ads cost big money, TV spots bigger money, radio again, big dough. For this venue and investment to take off and be successful, you need to have a great plan of attack. And those plans don't happen on the cheapazz scale. This is basically an amusement park on water. A water amusement park, unlike the cable park is about a $30-40 million dollar investment. If your going to negative about this potential deal, you should at the VERY least, do your homework.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-19-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
The cable system itself costs more than $100,000..... try x4
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       09-19-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
Just curious - does anyone here really know anything about starting a cable park, what the initial investment to start one would really be, and have done any research about how big a market there is in southern california for this? I know nothing about it, but I see quite a few comments about how this isn't a possibility.

John Cranny (californiacablepark) - can you post
back on this thread and answer some of the questions? Maybe your intent was to just cause a buzz about this - in which case you have - but we haven't heard anything from you since you started this thread! There are a lot of us in so cal who could see this as a serious, possible opportunity, but we need more information.

I emailed you regarding writing an article and/or publishing some more information on my San Diego local website where you could find some serious support, but haven't heard back. Just wondering how serious of an opportunity this is.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-19-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Maybe he's so vested in this lifestyle he can't get back with you......

(Message edited by behindtheboat on September 19, 2008)
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-19-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
WakeboardSD, what questions do you think John should answer here? Some of these remarks are almost absurd, why bother? If your truly serious about investing, you would simply call John at this dealership, which is contained in his profile (lightbulb on). Answering troll-esq questions about if he's potentially scamming an investor is about stupid. Most of the questions, are beginner business, and thus they aren't beginning with this type of investment, so why waste their time? Nobody is investing in emails, your calling John, meeting with John, going over the location, study the demographics for that area and the surrounding area, which is available on the Internet for every city in America. Your studying his marketing plan-going over permits, etc. If your investing a Mil, your not doing it here on this thread on WW. The guy is looking for an investor, not a debate if it will make it or someone's opinion "if" it will make it, or their opinions that they could build it for far less in tinbucktoo.
I've studied waterparks, not cables per se, the traditional styles. I know that if this is marketed in the right way, and they build in more revenue enhancing features, this can and will fly. I don't know what the terms of the investment would be, loan or partnership, rate of return, but after your initial build opening price, the park wouldn't cost much to run each and every month. Low overhead in business is a major plus, because it allows you stay active when the economy is blowing. Right now, cities are willing to make deals, they wouldn't have done years ago. Cities are hurting and hurting bigtime, especially in CA. The timing is right to pull this off......
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       09-19-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Chris - are you working with John on this project? You seem pretty quick to defend any question or critique about this opportunity, but also don't seem to really have any solid information.

If he started the thread, I would think he would be one to answer the questions and respond to the comments posed to him.

Not trying to start an argument over this, I just know when I start a thread - I tend to stick around to see what people have to say about it. If it was just an announcement for people to contact him privately - then why post it in an open forum where people can publicly respond and ask questions? And I have contacted him privately, and received no response.

Thats about it from me on this topic, I'm not trying to start a flame war. I do hope we get a cable park opened somewhere in Socal, but I'm focusing my concerns more on opening an alternative lake in San Diego now that San V is closed.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
The idea of a cable park in So. Cal. has been tossed around over the years. Just about all the wakeboard companies have looked into it in some way or another.

Obviously there are considerable financial/permit/land/environmental concerns to deal with. With California being the sue capital of the nation insurance is a big deal as well. Finding investors for such a project in today's market is going to be hard. Unless it is part of a destination type amusement center I don't see it being the profitable venture that investors are going to want dump money into in today's business market.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-19-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
"Chris - are you working with John on this project? You seem pretty quick to defend any question or critique about this opportunity, but also don't seem to really have any solid information"

Defend or present a logical assessment of the thread? Try the latter, and FYI, I wasn't flaming you either. Sorry, I shouldn't have told you how to make a contact, that wasn't email related. My bad sir.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-19-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
Chris, first of learn the proper use of your (you're). Second please read the final words in the initial post before you jump the next person.

"For more information please contact CaliforniaCablePark@yahoo.com}"

You're not supposed to contact this gentleman at his place of business (unless you personally know him like you seem to, then I would still think it is bothering him and his business), you are to email him for more info.
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
For Chris, I'd agree with what wakeboardsd said a few posts back. I only have stated my numbers because I have done my research and know my investments and my returns. I have run the numbers through different calculators and investment software programs. I have done the research on demographics, equipment, utilities, labor, hardware, software, etc. Again, solid information needs to be presented before comments can be made, and I have done my background research to make legitimate comments.

I do agree though the cost in SoCal is going to be much more expensive than in the midwest. I've done all my calculations based for a waterpark in the central part of the U.S.

On a side note, I do hope he finds an investor. And being so close to San Diego, there is bound to be someone out there that should drop the dough. It's really not too much money for a lot of people in the area. I understand there are lots of headquarters located in the area with lots of bigwigs. Now, it's just trying to influence them to be an investor.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-19-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
"You're not supposed to contact this gentleman at his place of business"

And you found this written where again? Please don't assume Adub your better than that. I don't know John, I know he owns the local MB, I rode with them when the Epic was in town, and that's it. Everything else, was simple rules of engagement. And I didn't jump anyone who didn't ask into our doubledutch session....
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-19-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
MB Dealer is closed
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-19-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
edit it to read;

It doesn't say to call.

If someone says email for more info, shouldn't that be what you do? I have no irons in this fire, not from Cali and don't have money, just observing.
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Personally, if someone came on here. Posted a total of 2 times, and never replied again to his thread i would run the other way from this "investment". There are a lot of people with huge intentions and nothing ever happens. Sort of like verbal diarrhea. Pay lip service and never get things done.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-19-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
I am tied to investors, and emailed CaliforniaCablePark@yahoo.com on the 16th and asked for a business plan and what permits have already been secured -no word back yet.
Old     (californiacablepark)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-20-2008, 1:38 AM Reply   
Joe - I got your text :-)

Sparky - SoCal is best place for cable because there is more population, more money, and warmer winters.

Jonny - Santee Cable Park still going strong (according to my sources)- yes, a few set backs, but this should be expected

WakeLV - there R over 30 cable parks in Germany. Germany is about the same size as California. So, yes, we should have more than 2 cable parks.

Hairbandude - Lake Elsinore (Smell-some-more) in my opinion has become Lake "Smell-no-more" due to the millions of dollars they have been spending cleaning up the lake. (I'm not saying it is perfect yet, but we are working on it)

Anthonyv911 - Yes, Washington needs a couple of cable parks too.

Chris - thanks for backing me up!

Justin - this project is not the Rancho Esquilago project.

Williams - When cable lines get too long - it's time to invest in another cable. It only costs about $20 a day to power a cable to pull over 100 wakeboarders! I wish my MB boat could do that!

Justin - the first person to put up a cable will have to work the hardest. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cable will be easier.

Peter - $4000 per day will buy a lot! With your calculation that is $120,000 a month in just ticket sales. This does not count $food, $rentals, $proshop, $etc...

Wes - if you are an investor - we will sit down and crunch some numbers - But, I'm pretty sure it will be easy to go over the $1,000,000 dollar mark.

Chris - thanks again for your backup on this

Daxxruckus - Sorry - I've been a bit busy.
I have a business plan, pictures of every stage in building project, plus countless hours of research. I would say we are very serious. Lets get together and write the article.

Chris - You are right. The timing is perfect to build a cable. City planning departments are now looking for projects to do!

A-dub - I always have time to talk about wakeboats, wakeboarding, cable parks, wakesurfing, wakeskating, and even ski skimming (kid skies that are glued together)
This is my business - so call me anytime (951) 377-7280

Wes - yes, it will be more expensive to build in California. But, we have more customers, more money, and good weather year-round. This is a win-win-win combination, in my opinion.

Hairbandude - MB Dealer is still open - just struggling hard core with this economy. But our lights are still on - and I've still got a credit card! (just a smaller limit ;)

Brett - If any one knows me - they know I get things done. I just haven't been on the computer as of late ;)

Justin - I have e-mailed you back.

Did I miss anybody?

Moving forward then:
I just posted this video made for the Santee Lake Cable Project. Check it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UMRMtNu2xE

Here are some pictures I like:
http://www.mbboats.com/Gallery/Cable%20Ski/index.htm

Thanks for your support!
John
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
Best of luck to anyone (especially in So Cal) thats willing to take the risks and put up our first cable park. Without entrepeneurs and risk takers would wakeboarding have grown to where it is today? So rather than be haters everyone should be pitching in to help John move this project forward!! I don't have $$ but I can offer my moral support! Good luck to ya and I hope to see you on opening day-
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-20-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
I think it would be successful, I mean if Florida can support 3, soon 4 different cable parks, then I would think Cali can support 1 park no problem.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-20-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
John I would like to demo a tomcat 21 is this possible?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-20-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
I would be willing to bet there are more riders north of Stocton than south, and more decent cable park site possibilities for less money in NorCal than SoCal. Slight advantage in climate during the winter in SoCal, but SoCal also has the Santa Ana winds too, and water can be way more scarce in SoCal in dry years. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for one anywhere in Cali, but like I said, we could support a couple I'm sure. Our winter climate is still way better than Texas right?
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-21-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
with everyone bickering about how much the electricity bill is going to be, why dont you just install solar panels. with enough solar panels they will eventually pay for themself. moe than likely the utility bill will be slim to none so it would be a great investment. this would mean less money on some bills so moe overhead in investors pockets.