Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
I know there's been some threads in the past.

For those that have their dogs on the boat, do you put socks or anything on their feet? If so, what, and if not is there anything you do to ensure they don't tear the upholstery? Thank you.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-20-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
I used to be a freak about not letting any one's dog on my boats.

...until we got our own dog lol! she's been riding with us all the time for the last ten years, and no damage to the upholstery so far.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-20-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
No, we just throw him in the boat. He's smaller and he's not a spaz - so there are no issues.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
I thought this was a song like pants on the floor.

Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-20-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
i've never put anything on my dogs' feet and they've been going out with us for years. i have lately seen a few scratches and some threads tearing but that's with original upholstery on a 1987 boat. the upholstery has gotten very brittle in the last 2 or 3 seasons. before that, i had more problems from people's feet and board fins than from the dogs.

puppy nails won't do any damage. old dog claws that haven't been trimmed can cause problems. those are tough on people feet too.

i'm not very uptight about my old vinyl though. if i had a newer boat i'd make sure dog nails are trimmed better. more cement time.
Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-20-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
My dog is on the boat a lot and the only thing he does to the interior is coat it in fur. He's kind of a spazz too always jumping on the seats, but no rips or tears at all and it's been 2 years now with him in there. He's a full size australian shepherd so not exactly a small dog.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-20-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
We take both our dogs on the boat with us most days. One is a 70+lb boxer mix, the other a beagle mix....they are both "active" spotters on the boat...watch out the back as we ride and rush to the front up in the bow to make sure they can see us when someone falls and we go to pick them up...even with constant back and forth and seat jumping there has been no damage to the seats.
They only problem we had was when one of thier collars got caught on the carpet and snagged it...simple fix though.
Having your dog on the boat can be a lot of fun!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Well she already sleeps on the old MC backseat. It is now her "couch", and is her favorite spot. Do you all do anything to get them acquainted with the boat better? I have her walk around in it, but haven't run the engine yet.

Meghan, did you do any training for that, or is did they just do that? I want mine to do the same.Upload
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-20-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Our dog likes to ride shot gun!Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-20-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
I quit letting mine in my ( 07 22SSV) supra. I had thier nails put in few holes in the vinyl. When mine go out now...it's on the pontoon.Upload
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-20-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
A-dub-

Our older girl ( the boxer) is a sun whore..she typically just takes over the back seat and catches rays. It wasn't until we got the little dude and he automatically "tracked" the riders that she started doing it as well. It is absolutley hysterical to watch them in action. When I am riding I can see both of them watching me attentively, and the little guy barking when i jump or do anything other than being pulled...as soon as I fall they rush up to the bow and are basically on point making sure I am safe. I think we have it on video somewhere...it is soo funny to watch.
The beagle mix is almost two now...but when we first got him ( 6 mos old) we had to be careful at first with him loose in the boat...he lacks common sense and loves the water soo much we almost had a few dive bomber incidents where he tried to bail out the back when i was riding to come and "retrieve" me.....after a few times of being leashed to the pylon that stopped. Although as soon as the boat stops he still wants to dive in and rescue the boarder. I am not sure that is habit we are going to break, considering his personality. THankfully he has learned he has to wait until the engine is off and he gets the okay from the driver.
The only annoying problem we had with the little guy was the first few times he came on board he didn't realize that the boat was like a house and not okay to pee in...so we had a few accidents that were easy to clean up and left to lasting damage. It only took a month to teach him to wait until he could go onto the swim step to pee....so now they are both "boat potty trained".
We do have doggie life vests on board for rough water, or in case of emergency. Actually our boxer won't go in the water from the boat unless we put it on her( but again she is a bit of a priss).
As you can probably tell, our dogs are a bit like kids to us and they tend to go where we do...it makes boating a ton of fun to watch their antics.
-Meghan
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-20-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
boat seats make great dog furniture

Upload
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-20-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Nails haven't been an issue with my upholstery.... Fur on the other hand is a whole different story! It's amazing how much dog hair is left in my carpet after our pup has been on the boat. It's still worth it though; having him on board is a lot of fun.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-20-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
We take out our Blue and Red Nose Pitts all the time and no issues except our Blue (Diesel) about strangled himself once trying to jump out while tied up. He tends to get a little hyper when someone is boarding. Just make sure their nails are clipped and filed so there are no sharp spots. We also have a nice layer of dog shed hair going which is a pain to clean up.
Upload
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-20-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
Our mastiff loves it and have never had an issue...
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hey Adam, you still have that vest I sold you years ago? lol
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-20-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
you can check out www.primalmp.com for seat covers. Good for kids also
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-20-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
I leave my dog and home and he doesn't know the difference.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-21-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
Ben,

Funny story.....I lost it over in Austin (waketoberfest) about 2 years ago??? I was over at a buddys house in December and he had in his garage. He borrowed it from another guy we both know. Finally got it back.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-21-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
Took our dog out on the boat a few weeks ago (He's a 90lb Weimaraner) No problem with him ripping up the seats he walks on concrete all the time so his nails are naturally filed down, our seats aren't pristine though. Only problem was when I was riding he was panicking, he thought I was drowning or something and kept wanting to jump out of the boat to save me hahaha. He's bred for duck hunting though so maybe that has something to do with it. Hard to get him to sit still too 90lbs moving around screws up the wake more often than not.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-21-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
dogs are great, my buddy takes his shepard/ retreaver mix and the dog loves it, no problems over the last few years, the dog uses the swim platform and it only took a few time to get him on board with it. I really want a dog, but feel guilty not being home enough to care for one.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
Our Pit and Hound have been on the boat ever since we got it in 02' and haven't had any problems. They just chill in the front. It's the mud they bring in when they fly in before we can stop them.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-22-2010, 5:16 AM Reply   
Adam,

Wow that vest has been around! I originaly bought it from someone on here (I think), but didn't want it after realizing TSR wouldn't let you ride non cga's
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-22-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
We've had our lab out a couple times. She loves it but always wants to jump out. If we stop the boat she is off the back before you can stop her. To me though, having a big dog on a 21 foot boat gets old pretty quick. We have a direct drive though. I don't think there would be near the problem with a V-drive set up.