Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-19-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
So what can we talk about in this forum?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-19-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
wakesurf boards without manufacturers names. Such as the best board for your specific situation is the one that fits your specific situation. Or the best board for you would be a board made by ABC but he doesn't sell them. Or maybe we can get a list of boards made by companies that pay to advertise so they can show pictures of their boards with people holding them that have a certain response from young males.
Old    surfdad            03-20-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Hey Guys,

I'm going to CPA (cut, paste and assemble :-) ) my post on a different thread:

The rather encompassing caveat at the beginning of this forum, while denegrating in tone, is a reasonable business practice. If someone came into my office and started selling insurance in my lobby to my clients I'd kick them out. So I think we bring ORIGINAL content HERE or PM a fairly exhaustive non-original source.

In dealing with products, I think what we do is deal in generalities. So for example someone asks for a board recommendation for getting airs, we respond with the concept of how water releases (curved surfaces allow water to wrap and therefore make release harder, etc) how rocker affects rolling the board up and what generates speed...without a specific mention of product.

Mr. Williams also encouraged us to self-police. When Drew came on we didn't do a very good job of politely asking him to curtail self-promotion and to add content.

I know that I have been guilty of posting links to other sites - not thinking that what I was doing was, in fact, using WW to promote competitors to WW - not my intent, but the road to Heck :-) is paved with good intentions.

I think that what I will do with my future posts is try and see it as the insurance salesman in my lobby - if I am selling insurance to WW clients, I need to reword it.

My 2 cents.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-20-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Dennis, thanks for the sarcastic comments that show that you haven't read the message at the top of the forum at all. It does not restrict in any way what Joe Public can discuss on the forum.

If you're suggesting that I put that message up there in some sort of attempt to block out companies that don't advertise on WakeWorld, then you obviously believe that I'm biased. If you truly believe that, why are you even on this website at all. And how can I be biased toward certain wakesurf companies when we don't even have any wakesurf companies advertising on WakeWorld? It's a ridiculous assertion since anybody that knows me or has spent any amount of time on this site knows how silly that is.

At the risk of repeating myself, if Joe Shmoe wants to come on here and talk about products, then that's what this forum is for, as long as Joe Shmoe is not affiliated with some company who's actually trying to sell product rather than help out fellow forum members.

If Joe Shmoe is affiliated with a company, they are also welcome to come on and share information with others as long as they do so with the benefit of the forum and forum readers in mind and not with the intent of selling product.

There may even be situations where somebody asks what kind of board they should buy. That's a great opportunity for someone affiliated with a company to both help that person out AND actually promote their product at the same time. Don't be afraid to mention specific products if the situation calls for it. The only time I have a problem with people mentioning specific products is if it's done with the intention of sales rather than the intention of helping fellow forum members.

However, if you're affiliated with a company and find yourself starting (as opposed to responding to) a thread that furthers your bottom line, you're probably doing something wrong.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-20-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
This is the best run wakeboard forum that I know of. I do think that we made several early and gentle corrections to not only Drew's initial posts but others as well.

I re-read the posting guidelines. While I receive no personal financial benefit from industry, the industry does support events that I've organized. I don't know where to draw the line and I think I might need further help understanding what the problem is.

David's example above is simple and makes sense if that's it then I think I'm good.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-20-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
David, I've been kind of oblivious to this. Can you give a specific example where somebody broke the rules? You don't have to name names....
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-20-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
If they broke them, then it's probably been deleted, so hopefully you won't ever see an example on here. If you do, send me an email.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-20-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
OK, thanks. I would be tired of deleting posts and telling them to stop!