Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    kmc            06-02-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
OK, I need some advise for a first time ballast system. I am starting out with 2 sacs & a 750 gph pump. I have all the stuff ready to go but my question is this ... do I really just toss the pump over the side & completely submerge it? I mean, does the entire pump get dunked? Including the wiring? I feel like this is a dumb question but I don't want to short out the electrical the first time I get to use the new system.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ken
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2003, 8:43 AM Reply   
yes. did you put the pump together though? if so make sure you used shrink wrap butt connectors to make sure waterproof. if it is a pump put together by a sac company you are fine.
Old    gotpwr            06-02-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
Yes, submerge the whole thing. I do it everytime I use mine. What do you think happens when the same kind of pump is mounted in the bilge as a bilge pump and the boat takes on a bunch of water? In other words, the pump was designed to run under water.
Old    kmc            06-02-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
TY, I put the pump together. I don't remember if I used shrink at the butt splices but they are about 8 feet from the pump so they wouldn't be in the water. I will look & shrink if I didn't already do it. I assume that you are saying that the factory connections at the pump are Ok to submerge?

Thanks,
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
you can get the shrink wrap butt connectors at an automoticve shop or radio shack. put them on there and burn a match under them and they seal up very nicely. better to be safe than sorry for under 1.00.
Old    kmc            06-02-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
Dan, I guess I never thought of it as a bilge type pump because when you buy the pump for a non-bilge application it is shown being mounted to the "dry" side of a bait or live-well tank application. Thanks,
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-02-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
If you use shrink wrapping that does not have the sticky stuff on the inside use a little RTV to help seal the shrink wrap. Of course you could also just use Shoo Goo or RTV by itself.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Heat shrink butt connectors have some clear goo that oozes a bit when you heat it and gets hard when it cools.