Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone has ever done these....

I will be flying into Florida for a buddy's wedding in the Keys.... haven't decided which airport - Orlando to see some old friends before I head down to the Keys or I'll just fly into Miami and drive down from there.

If I fly into Miami I am thinking about renting an "exotic" car to go down and back in - just wondering if it is worth it or not? I wouldn't need/want a Lambo or anything but just something rather than a Chevy Malibu to make the trip...

I found a few that are like ~$400 for a 3-day weekend (z06 corvette, 911, M6, etc etc)... so not supercars by any means but still something fun and drop top for the drive down over the ocean would be fun.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything like these (Florida or elsewhere) and if it worth the money of a standard rental.

Thanks!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-04-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Rented a lambo for a day back in 2008 or 09 down in S Florida. Was pretty sweet, about had my a** thrown in jail though for speeding though

I hope u can handle the heat bc driving in a convertible at high noon down here right can be brutal. Dont get me wrong the drive is great one time but can be lots of stopping & going.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-04-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/

Place is cool. Not sure if its what your looking for but def exotic. They also deliver cars to wherever you want. My bro used to work for them in Jersey. Not cheap but some sick cars. Just a FYI, each car has a GPS locator in them so if you drive like a nut they will know and can disable the cars.

Get some pics!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-04-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Live in the Seattle area and about 10yrs ago used to work in Tampa and Ft Lauderdale nearly every week.

I'd get into stretches where flying back to Seattle for the weekend was not nearly as much fun as staying in Fl for the weekend. Rented "exotic" cars and Harley's around the Miami area and used to drive down the Keys and spend the weekend there. It was a lot of fun. I liked renting a Harley and cruising down way move than a car. The drive down there is not very interesting and Key West is more of a cruise around town place. I *might* have hit deep 100+ MPH club a few times on Alligator Alley with couple of cars, but that was before in car GPS. Pretty sure I topped a plain old Camry rental car there one too.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-04-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
^^^and that there folks is why you dont buy loaner/rental fleet cars lol
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-04-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
I've rented a Viper and Z06 when in Vegas before. Definitely a lot of fun. I'd rent the Z06 again in a heartbeat.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-04-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
^^^and that there folks is why you dont buy loaner/rental fleet cars lol
jezzzz, if I could only start to remember all of the dumb things I've done in rental cars over the years.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
I hope u can handle the heat bc driving in a convertible at high noon down here right can be brutal. Dont get me wrong the drive is great one time but can be lots of stopping & going.
Once I am out of Miami I would expect things to move pretty swiftly on 1/5 that runs down to the Keys... getting out of Miami maybe another issue.

I would like to keep it to the cost to <$600 for Friday pickup - Sunday drop off.... so most of the Ferrari/Lambo/Etc cars are out.... I think I could swing viper/z06/porsche/m6 ..... I figure if I would have to spend ~$200-$300 on a rental with all their fees and everything anyway, I might as well splurge and have some fun.

.... the only hangup is it will be me and my fiance' making the trip.... so I have to make sure the car can fit her and me plus our luggage, I'll only have a carry on, but I'm sure she'll pack 50% of what she owns "in-case".

Thanks for the input everyone, sounds like its worth it over the average mid-sized
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
FYI the 599 is $1600 per day
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
FYI the 599 is $1600 per day
A little out of the budget.... one of the places online has a Veryon for $10,000/day
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-04-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
Mine was a gift or else I wouldnt have paid or it lol. But it was fun
Old     (Xtreme_Aviator)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-07-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
The Z06 doesn't have a covnertible top, nor a removable overhead panel.. It is sick fast and a ton of fun to drive. You will likely be much more impressed with the interior quality and comfortable ride of the M6. Trunk space shouldnt be an issue with either of those. The Z06 will easily hold 2 sets of golf clubs as well as two carry-ons.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
I've made the fdrive down from miami to the keys twice....I'll never do it again. There are cops all along the way, and the speed limit is 50-55 max the whoe way. It's a small two lane raod. and if there is a wreck, the whoel road gets shut down. turns into a night mare.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-11-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
I've made the fdrive down from miami to the keys twice....I'll never do it again. There are cops all along the way, and the speed limit is 50-55 max the whoe way. It's a small two lane raod. and if there is a wreck, the whoel road gets shut down. turns into a night mare.
++1...thats why i just take the ferry down. Ive sat on that stretch for 4 hrs in traffic dead stop. No thanks

People think its an easy drive but its really not.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-11-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Did a Lambo in Vegas when I won some money on the craps table! It was EPIC! The main reason why is because I took off into the desert and got wicked! Driving down to the keys you wont have that opportunity, very slow and stop and go is usually the norm
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
just an fyi...it's usually cheaper to fly into ft. lauderdale airport.

another issue about driving down to key west is the car itself. Parking in old town ( where you'll probably be) can be tough. Rent bikes when u get down there. I go to key west a couple times a year b/c flight prices the last two years have been insanely high anywhere in Mexico/caribbean for me ( out of Houston).
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-12-2012, 9:57 PM Reply   
Just did that drive last week. HORRID. Slow, boring, and cops every mile.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
He just changed up his wedding location - is not going to have the ceremony somewhere on/around De Soto Beach (St. Pete's area) and the reception in St. Pete's Tierra Verde right after.... works for me because now I can fly into Tampa or MCO for much cheaper.... and hopefully the plane ticket savings = 1 extra night = McCormicks and/or Winter Haven for a boat set or two.

I see Orlando has similar exotic rentals, so I may still do it just not from Miami anymore....

Side note - what does a best man do for a bachelor party when the Groom to be doesn't really like booze, partying, strippers, gambling, or anything else I happen to love? I'm thinking if we get down there early enough (both Groom and I) take him out for a day of fishing on the ocean or something?.... It might very well just be me standing up in the wedding due to the location, and possibly two other groomsmen. I honestly don't know what else to do since he is a pretty reserved straight-edge church going boy.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 06-13-2012 at 6:54 AM.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-13-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
Been invited to a few bachelor parties on multiple occasions a couple that didn't want any immorality, once was a day of golf lunch and shenanigans at the golf course. Dumb dancing telegram type stuff and pranks pulled on him. Another was all the guys went out target shooting and out for food.
Fishing would probably be fine but I would try to pull some type of prank getting the boat guys in on it.

Good Luck and I'm sure whatever you do will be a great memory for him.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-13-2012, 7:23 AM Reply   
Dont ask me...i wasnt allowed to have a bachelor party!! Its all good though, i'll get to try again in the future for my next marriage lol

That area of st. Pete has some nice golf courses...charter a deep sea fishing boat for 4-6hrs (someone she wouldnt allow me do, said he didnt want to worry about me not howing up to the weddi g lol) Rays game vs who ever is in town?? Great local beach bars around there to just be out & chill.

Hit up mccormicks for sure since u'll be around.

Damn...i was wipped for sure
Old     (lav)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-13-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Here is what this guy did with his rental
(may want to turn vol down and ff to :45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vph5v...e_gdata_player
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-13-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
Be a good friend and introduce him to strippers, gambling and booze
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-13-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
^^^thats awesome