Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-27-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
I have always wanted to try this since I saw the clip in a video. We finally got it worked out. Here I am surfing between the wakes of a Malibu LSV and my Nautique SV211. Boats are only about 8-10' apart running at 13mph. The wakes would probably clean up even more at 14 or 15mph. It was a rush surfing this fast. I can't wait to give it another try.

double boat surf on the big wave
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-27-2005, 10:41 PM Reply   
SICK! we have been wanting to do that also, going to have to make a lake trip.
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
nice! i want to go try now! :-)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-27-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
Wow, muy grande!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-28-2005, 8:04 AM Reply   
thats tight, do u have any more pics?
Old    4sher            09-28-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Here are a few pics from the Inland Surfer crew. We were using 2 Centuion Enzos

Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-28-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
how are the boats weighted when doing that? Evenly? Normally surf weighted right side and left side of the two boats?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-28-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
I have about 20 more pictures but it's just me, and not too exciting. We will probably do it again in two weeks lots of my buddies are psyched to do it. I want to get 4 or 5 boards/riders, I think we can get at least 3 riders in the pocket at the same time, chaseboat in tow. I also want to try a few different starts to see if we gan get in there without the rope. There are a few babes that want to make it happen so the next pictures should be a little more interesting.

Not sure how the Malibu was weighted I will ask my friend. They were surfing along and we just drove up and glommed on the side moving around until the wake started to form. It takes a much longer rope since you ride about 15' behind the boats. My Nautique was weighted with stock ballast on the drivers side, they were surfing regular so I would guess they were weighted on passengers side.

I don't think the weighting is critical it was really easy to ride, the surfable pocket was huge. At one point I got way back in the whitewash then moved slightly to the side and it shot me forward about 10' really moving fast. I think this could be done with almost any boat.

Here is how we set it up:
The boat on the right is the navigator with perfect pass set at 13+mph, that driver watches for obstacles for both boats, it pulls the rider up. The boat on the left just tracks the other boat. It takes 100% of the driver's attention to keep speed and distance with the other boat.

I believe that this is illegal while the rider has the rope in hand, because the second boat is too close to a boat with a skier? Once the rope gets tossed it's a grey area? Luckily we didn't see any sherriffs.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-28-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
next question, does it have to be done with two boats with differing prop rotations?? Just wondering because my buddy and I both have 210s, but they don't have a good regular side wave. I'm wondering if it'll work or if we need a different boat with a good regular side wave for the right side.

(Message edited by sperbet on September 28, 2005)
Old    4sher            09-28-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
The ideal setup is what Mikeski has with a Nautiqie on one side and a standard prop rotation boat on the other. You can see from my pics that one side of the "V" is better than the other because both of our Enzos throw good wakes on the port side. Still, it's a blast. We got one rider up to 25 mph. He was probably 50 feet back!
Old     (andyh)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-28-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
wow that is sick i want to try that someday}
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-29-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
There is so much to work with in terms of wake that the prop rotations probably don't make much difference, but as Mark said it was ideal with the Nautique on the left and the Bu on the right. We also tried it win my Nautique and an 05 X-Star but we were going too slow at that time. Now I want to go FAST! I think I will bring my Jump skis and see if I can surf on them too.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-29-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
That's awesome!!!!!! Mike, I'm going out this Sat, are you gonna be around? We'll have at least one wakesurfboard. That is so cool, wow :-)