Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-29-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Could someone clear up the difference for me and tell me what kind of tricks go with each one

Thanks
Old    surfdad            06-29-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
Hey Tanya, surf style boards look like surfboards. Typically are made from Poly U foam with fiberglass, but also include molded boards. Examples include Shred Stixx, Shoreline Lake Boards, Stripes, some of the Inland Surfer models, etc. The single biggest characteristic will be the fins. Surfstyle boards will typically have multiple fins that are 2.5" + deep. Skimstyle boards originated with skim boards - their roots are with Victoria and Zap skimboards, to name a few. Current offerings include Phase 5, Calibrated and others. Skim style boards typically have a single fin and very little rocker. Also, they are usually thin compared to a surfstyle board. Tricks associated with Skim style boards are more technical. Big spins, body varials, shuv it's are some of the tricks more commonly associated with skimstyle boards. Surfstyle boards usually have more drive and as such, aerial tricks are this board's forte. Also, more flowing turns and slayshing. Hope that helps.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-29-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, I am looking for a new board and trying to decide what style to get. I rode the Phase 5 Oogle and quite liked it, have also been on a Landlock 5'6" and a 6'1" (too long). I liked the quick response with the Oogle but am looking into other brands as well. I watched the xtremeboard video and their boards look fun as well. It is so hard trying to decide when you can't demo a whole bunch of them.
Tanya
Old    surfdad            06-30-2006, 5:32 AM Reply   
Yeah, without demoing a board, it's hard. There may be some other considerations. I think in everyone's mind, price is a big consideration. I do believe that Trick Boardz offers the lowest price, then come the molded boards, next are the various skim style boards and finally the surf style boards are the most pricey (however, Inland Surfer is currently having a sale on some selected boards that is worth checking out)

Another issue is storage. Molded boards and skim style boards will fit in your standard wakeboard racks. Most true surfstyle boards won't. Thereby requiring a different rack, or that you stack it on the floor of the boat.

The skimstyle boards are less forgiving than most of the surfstyle boards. The learning curve is considerably longer. Not inordenatly so, but longer. It's easier to pearl a skim style board and you'll catch an edge more easily on a skimstyle board. Doing surface tricks with a skimstyle board is easier to initiate, but the lack of a fin makes controlling the END of the rotation much harder.

On the opposite end doing skateboard style tricks is possible on a skimstyle board where it really isn't on a surfstyle board. Shuv it's, shuv it 3's are doable on a skimstyle board. The tricks done on a skimstyle board tend to be more technical and rotation oriented.

I think with those three major concerns in mind, you can start narrowing down your selection.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-05-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
Thanks again Jeff. We might try and take some lessons for wakeboarding and surfing so we can learn some new stuff. We sure are having fun with it.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-05-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Tanya, Jeff is always a wealth of information.

If it is surf style you want go with a shredd stixx IMO better than XBC. If you have any surf background this may be more your thing.

As Sean pointed out in your other post, Skim style is also another very good option. The boards are a little "looser" and you can do some more skate style moves. Some people find them harder to control at the start.

You will most likely start on a more stable board and then progress on to a looser board when you get better.