Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            04-11-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
Is there anyone that wakesurfs that lake or knows anything about the Lake Safety and Activities committee?

Here is the full, rather lengthy, article. Towards the end it states:

ON THE LAKE

After a demonstration last September of wake surf boards, wake skates and knee boards, the Lake Safety and Activities committee recommended approval of their use on Lake Arrowhead. However, after discussion about the ideal way to use the surf boards, they were excluded. Wake skates and knee boards will be allowed on the lake this summer.

(Message edited by surfdad on April 11, 2009)
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-11-2009, 6:34 AM Reply   
So where are the wakesurfers in this picture? You gotta be heard.

http://images.townnews.com/mountain-news.com/content/articles/2009/04/10/news/news2.jpg
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
Not much information in the article. Looks like the "Lake Safety and Activities" committee made recommendations. No safety issues were identified in the article.

They don’t mention wakeboarding. Really not much useful information to make an argument for or against wakesurfing. Sounds like they banned the surf boards but not wake boats?
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-11-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
I have only been to Arrowhead a few times. I just remember as a kid they would not let our family take the boat out on the water because the name on the back of our old boat said "piss off" for a name... not sure about all of these exclusions.
Old    surfdad            04-12-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
That's funny. :-) It seems the Homeowners association is gravely concerned with liability. It's a private lake, and one of the conditions for using your boat on the lake is to name the Association as additional insured.

From what I can tell, it's a concern over property damage caused by large wakes.

Their policy for towed devices is here.

Item 6 addresses the safety concern over surfboards:

6. Surfboards:
The intended application of Traditional Water Skis, Training Skis, Air Chairs and
Wake Boards/Wake Skates is to be towed behind a powerboat. The intended
application for a Surf Board is coastal wave riding. It was not designed too be
towed behind a powerboat. For a Surf Board to be used successfully behind a
powerboat, the weight of the boat must be disproportioned to its design, thus
creating a large wake. Since Lake Arrowhead is a closed lake environment, this
application presents safety concerns for the Surf Board rider and other boating
members.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
That really not based on any reason or fact. Wakesurfing is IMO the safest towed water sport.

(Message edited by Bigshow on April 12, 2009)
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-12-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
What is the largest boat allowed on this lake?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-12-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
It's been awhile since I was out on that Lake but, in the old days they allowed speed skiing every afternoon for a couple of hours. I don't think rider safety was a concern. We had a 25' daycruiser with a big block and twin turbos. Pretty fast.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-12-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
So say a 30' cabin cruiser wouldn't be out of the question?I surf on Lake Erie and I've seen some wakes from boats like that at wakesurf speeds that make my wake look like a ripple.So it's not just slamed down wakeboats with big wakes.

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on April 12, 2009)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-12-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
I've wakeskated that lake before. It is CROWDED and rather small. Their season is very short, obviously, but when we were there on a weekday in August, it was like a Nascar race on a half mile track.

If I can dig up the pic of me falling with two boats too close, I'll post it.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-12-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
Ha. Found it

Upload

glassy too!!
Old     (dbh_brad)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-12-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
There are not a lot of lakes in Southern California. Some only allow fishing boats on the lake. The fishing community seems to be a lot more vocal in the community then wakesurfers. Arrowhead is/was not the only lake considering this. The photos of guys with no PFD and a beer in their hand going straight right behind the boat sure does not help our cause either.

Being responsibly involved does.