Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    suzmar1997            02-13-2003, 2:29 PM Reply   
I was just curious if anyone has or has heard the Skylon Deafcon IV tower speakers? Any input would be greately appreciated. I'm in the market to buy speakers and I'm leaning towards the B-530's but thought the Skylons might match my tower better.
Old    scubastevebps            02-13-2003, 10:46 PM Reply   
I'm looking at the deafcon III for my boat. As far as price and quality their well worth it. I heard the deafcon IV over at the boat show and all i have to say is sweet.
Old    suzmar1997            02-13-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply stephen. I'm probably heading to the LA boat show on the 18th so hopefully I'll get to hear them for myself.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2003, 1:24 AM Reply   
We sell quite a few of the Deafcon III's mostly because they are a good value compared to the Boss B530's. I have only heard the Deafcon IV's so far at the Portland Boat Show. They are totally amazing with that 8" sub up on the tower. Our mobile installer here in the Northwest did the install on the boat show Malibu Wakesetter. He told me the Deafcon IV's weight about 60 lbs per side - more weight for the boat! That boat also had a 15 inch sub besides the Deafcon IV and 4 Phoenix Gold amps totalling 2,800 watts.

Let me know what you think after you hear them at the LA boat show.

Mike
Wakeside.com
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2003, 6:41 AM Reply   
60 lbs a side??? a pair weighs 120 lbs? seriously?
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Since audiophiles (in this case Wakeside's very own boat audio designer and mobile installer) sometimes exagerate just a little (like fishing stories), I decided to ask the folks at Skylon how heavy a pair of Deafcon IV's are, and I was told 66 lbs. That means 33 lbs per side, not 60 lbs.

That is still quite heavy when you are mounting these monsters.

http://www.wakeside.com/miva/merchant.mv?page=W/PROD//skylon_deafcon_iv

Mike
Wakeside.com
Old    suzmar1997            02-19-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
Well I went to the show and heard the Deafcon IV's at approximately 20% power and wow!! They sounded pretty sweet and are 33-35 pounds a piece. I contimplated over the B-530's and the Deafcons and went w/ the IV's.I liked the quicker release of the Skylon (Hand screw) to the allen wrench I'd be using to take off the Boss'. According to the seller the wiring harness comes w/ the speakers and Boss sells it seperately for another 150 or so dollars bringing both systems to about the same price.I also saw the IV's hanging on the VLX at the show and thought they looked pretty sweet on the same tower that I have (Swoop). Cant wait for delivery and get everything hooked up in time for the season.
Old    eharaga            02-22-2003, 7:09 PM Reply   
Has anyone heard both the Deafcon IVs AND the B530s? How do they compare to one another? Another think I like is the quick release for the Deafcons (knob)....Does anyone know if you can get anything similar for the Boss speakers?
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
I talked to the boys at Skylon about their speaks. They told me the hand knob does not get the clamp on tight enough, so they recomend an allen bolt. If thats a factor in your decision, ask first.

Boss rep. told me they dont have anything similar to a hand tighted knob. No quick release, no nothing. Only the allen bolt.