Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    roadking            07-11-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
This boat is hilarious!!! Wow, its as close to an X-Star as you could possibly get. I mean the tower is an exact copy, the seating and the demisions. I guess if you cant be the best, you just copy it. In fact they went to a MasterCraft dealer and took photos and measuremants.

You would think they would at least change some things. Wonder why it took them so long, they must have a high tech design and research department. Its called R & D which in Charlie Pegions words (owner of Tigger) mean "Reasearch and Duplicate"

Hurry out and get you one of these BRAND NEW cutting edge boats NOW while they last. Well, if they sell out you can always but the real twin tip.}

(Message edited by roadking on July 11, 2006)
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
this is going to get ugly!

personally i think it looks really badass!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
if you don't like it, don't buy it. no one's forcing you to.
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
i think it looks awesome!
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2006, 10:10 PM Reply   
exactly!!!

does this boat have tapps2 pr is there somrthing new.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
That view from above looks like an xstar no doubt. Th tower too. I think it looks badass, but it isn't very original
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
hey, nautique was the first one to come out with a boat w/ a tower. mastercraft copied! how unoriginal!

see how lame that sounds?

i agree w/ jrod...not very original, but still badass looking.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2006, 10:15 PM Reply   
i was goiung to say the exact same thing about the tower joe
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2006, 10:15 PM Reply   
great minds think alike, wes.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
does it have the tapps2
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
where are the pics?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2006, 10:48 PM Reply   
go to the home page of WW
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
cool, thanks. Looks like a pretty nice ride!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-11-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
They're actually using new technology called 'Hinge Tech' to fold the tower down. Quite fascinating!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-11-2006, 11:02 PM Reply   
It does come standard with Taps2 and the Convex V hull. There is no standard ballast, but the option for under-floor ballast is available.

It's definitely got some similarities to the X-Star as well some other boats, but I think it is really a good looking boat. I like all the angles in the fiberglass. There are a lot of edges and clean lines. I also think the seats are interesting the way they are so flat. Obviously, I don't know how comfy they are, but they are very different looking.

I'm not sure about the look of the tower, but I do like the thick tubing. I think it's almost three inches thick. I think it will look cool with a bimini and some speakers or lights.
Old    redneckonaboard06            07-12-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
Personally I like the new Tige. Yes it does look a lot like the MC, but you can clearly see some differences and I really like how they're front is different.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-12-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
I really like it. In fact first tige i do like. But I love the XStar so I see why I like the look of this boat.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-12-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Its a great looking boat ! A complete knockoff, but still a great looking boat.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-12-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
(yawn)
Old    bigrich            07-12-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Other than additional seating and front boarding ladder are there any real WAKEBOARDING benefits of the pickle fork. Sorry for asking a dumb question but it seems like the trend now.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-12-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
I'm betting MasterCraft wanted to square off the front seating in order to make the bow space both larger and more comfortable (function). I think the pickle fork was just a way to make the new configuration attractive (form). Obviously, they thought a straight squared off design at the front of the boat wouldn't look that good. I think they made a very creative and good-looking choice.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-12-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Remember when the first pictures of the X-Star came out and about 80% of us all thought that it was really ugly and why would Mastercraft make a boat with a Pickle Fork....Now there are 3 boat companys makeing pickle fork boats. Theye is nothing wrong with someone copying someone elses idea. It happens all the time. This boat loks pretty good, and as people have pointed out if you dont like it dont buy it...
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-12-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
ya, got to hand it to mc, they do lead when it comes to designs.

yes, I own a mc, but its a '00 xstar. And the only boat I want is a narrow 20-21' vdrive with a pointed nose.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
People are going to fight about this. But It does seem to be the Year of the pickle
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
By RICH DIEROLF (bigrich) on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:56 am:

quote:

Other than additional seating and front boarding ladder are there any real WAKEBOARDING benefits of the pickle fork. Sorry for asking a dumb question but it seems like the trend now.

More room and another way to get on board and you are still asking.....
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-12-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Even though this is not the same type of boat at all (air entrapment) every major deck boat maker has a pickle fork type opening (if that is even the word for it). Look at a Conquest, E-Ticket, Hallett, Magic, etc and they all have the same look. Why, because it allows you to put more people in the boat comfortably. Things have changed with wakeboarding where we see bigger boats now that can hold more people, problem being small uncomfortable bow area. Answer- widen out the front of the boat and create more room. I think it is a great idea. Out of the box, NO, but incorperating smart design is the way to go. Go job on Tige's part. Take the best riding boat and make it even more comfortable for the passengers.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Wow...so many of these stupid posts. Its called staying competitive, its not hard to understand. The market wants innovation in design, and mastercraft answers with pickle fork. Its only natural for other manufacturers to follow suit. The same could be said for MANY other features in numerous boats, so get over it.
Old    bigrich            07-12-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Big Ed did you notice that WAKEBOARDING is in caps so what I meant was wake shape,size etc.. I wasn't asking whether there is more room for beer drinking buddies to get on the boat.
Old    swass            07-12-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
What's the wakeboarding benefit of cupholders? (What's your point?)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Swass,at least you understood!

Rich,FYI front of the boat has nothing to do with the wake as only the back half of the boat is actually touching the water when on plane.So not to disrespect but that was a dumb question then.As far as size of the wake......you can put more weight in the picklefork b/c of more room therefore you can count size in.

My WAKEBOARDING boat......the more room I have the better but I thought that was obvious.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-12-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
i dont try to put down other boat companies. i just try to give my thoughts on why i like the boats i do.
There is nothing wrong with new designs and boats but this boat isn't a new design and it is a complete copy. im not going to say anything else because i would never buy a boat with an ugly a$$ interior like that.
it obviously shows MC is the leader when other companies are copying there design.
Old     (osuwaterski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
I am not going to read all of the prior posts, but I do have to give some input. Yes, the boat does resemble a X Star, but who really cares. This industry is unique that people become very emotional about their boat manufacturers. For MC owners, they should love that this boat resembles the X Star. For the market that doesn’t care about brand as much, this will create stiffer competition for MC and the other major boat manufacturers. This will cause them to lower their prices in order to stay competitive with the up and coming companies. My point is that the more competition that enters the market, the better we’ll all be as consumers.

(Message edited by osuwaterski on July 12, 2006)
Old     (ssteele013)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-12-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Dear Brian Smith,
Correct Craft was the first ones to make a boat with a tower on it and yet you are not complaining about Mastercraft coyping them... Mastercraft actully copied cobalt and other boats with the picked forked front...so get your facts stright so you don't look stupid, Lets just say, "if it works, use it".
In my opinion its a sic boat..we'll just have to see what happends in 07

(Message edited by ssteele013 on July 12, 2006)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Why would people (outside of Mastercraft employees) care even if it's copied inch for inch? As consumers, don't we want options? I can garuntee you there are some loyal Tige owners--who have always admired the X-Star from afar--that are stoked on this boat. Now, buyers don't have to be "stuck" with MC if they want a picklefork on their next boat. Just as those who have always liked the wedge and/or a view-unobstructed tower but would never own a Malibu, can now look to Centurion, MB, or Supreme. Options people...it's a good thing.

And, like Sean said, MC copied (and I think they actually used the same designer) Cobalt's picklefork almost identically. So apparently Cobalt is the industry leader in wakeboard innovation.

(Message edited by jcv on July 12, 2006)
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
I don't think it says as much about MC's innovation as it does about other companies lack there of.

Still a pretty good looking boat....except for the dash and helm in general.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
MB has a pickle too!
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-12-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Man, these discussions get heated. I would say that yes, this does show that Mastercraft is "a" leader in design, though not necesarrily "the" leader in design. It does say something when two other boat companies follow suit shortly thereafter.

I have to say though after reading through the interview...can that guy who designed it really be that excited? The hull, layout, and even the tower look so similar to an X-Star that I bet if you took off the graphics and showed pics of the outside to all the people on this board, we would just assume it's a new paint scheme from MC.

My $.02 anyway...
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-12-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Oh, and the dash is ugly.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-12-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Easy guys...
Companies put products out that SELL..
is everybody copies MC?
NO
they have heard and seen that the pickle is in demand so they are producing them.

mmmm Camaro/Firebird, Avalanche/Escalade, the list could on. (these are just basic examples)

all companies put out products that are simliar. If I own Tige and I saw the pickle was selling good then I to would put on out. I would not make an exact copy and I don't want to believe that is what Tige did tho they look really almost the same?

The good thing is you won't have to spend way too much on that new boat just because MC is the only with a pickle cause now Tige will make it more affordable than MC ever would. (that is my only hate to MC is they waayy overprice)

Me if I had my choice and the price was 15k-20k different it would be easy choice to make..

It was only a matter of time for other s to put out that pickle with the release of the new X-2..

Now were all in a pickle, lame I know...
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
We could strip the graphics and towers off an X-15 and a VLX and put them side by side, and they'd look pretty darn similar too. There's only so many different ways you can build a boat and arrange the seats.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-12-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
please check rudder & prop position on the two boats, location of this and shaft angle will surely have a dramatic effect in ride and performance.
The Tige does also have a narrower transom while the X-star is a pig on the back.

Make your conclusions
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   

quote:

Me if I had my choice and the price was 15k-20k different it would be easy choice to make..

Assuming it had the same awesome wake.
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-12-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
That's my point as well Jeff.

People argue the most finite of points to no end on here.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-12-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
I really like the boat and the Graphics. Compared to the Tomcat this thing looks awesome. I think they will be a hot ticket once they are released.
I'm sure all the tige dealers are licking their chops to get this thing in stock.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-12-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
I like it as well. Good to see another option out there if you are looking for large bow riding area. The wake is where any boat will really makes a difference. No one will know that on this new Tige until they demo the boat and see what it really can or cannot do. Can't wait to hear if it is legit or not.....
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-12-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
I predict a steller year for tige, thats the first one that has really caught my eye. if its 5-10K less the mc, they got a winner. MB should have done the same.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-12-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
you are correct on the ED, wake would still be a big factor..
Old    jthomas            07-12-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
I don't think it can be denied that MC has done many great things for the industry and are definitely innovators. I also don't think that it can be denied that MC has not exactly nailed the perfect boat either. the way i see it their (and cobalts) pickle design was a great start and really thru a curve into the inboard market. But Tige seems to have ran with it and implemented the things that have made them and up and comer. i dont think it is stupid to get in on something when the gettin is good and even better to add a few new elements to the competition.

convex hull/taps
walk thru with storage underneath
transom seat with storage
big bow area
ten times the storage
(looks like) some serious fiberglass design work
(looks like mesh) innovative drivers seat
stainless windshield
oh and 16k le$$

and call me crazy but i think the paint scheme looks slightly different
Old    jthomas            07-12-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

paint schemes look identical
Old     (wakeman21)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-12-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
I think the new tige looks tight.. yes it is similar to the x-star and all that. but hell if you want an original looking boat go buy MB's new Tomcat f-23
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-12-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
The new Master Craft X Star was not a Master Craft design it was a another hull re tooled there were many pictures posted of the original hull . The X2 is a original based off a Master Craft Maristar . I think the Tige is awsome and the MB is a little over the top not because its a piclke but just a bit to wild looking in the forks and tail . Its nice to see some new stuff being done.Its intersting that some posting on this topic in a positive manner beat the of the 06 X2 it would be fun to dig up some of the old posts and compare comments .
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-12-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Now the new Tomcat...that is UGLY!!!

then again, I thought the X-Star was ugly when it first came out, and it's definitely grown on me...

I'm having a hard time ever thinking of the new MB as a good looking boat though...
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
Joe,

I don't remember anyone bashing the X-2 (I could be wrong), just its wake. Aesthetically, boats don't get much better than the X-2.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
How about the wake. I wonder if this boat, like most Tige's will be limited by ballast options. I never have been fond of the Tige wake (I have owned one)and TAPS never really seemed to do much to me. All the others boats I have ridden in have never really needed this style of hull and plate to run good, plane good or throw a nice wake. I am just guessing that this boat, although similar, has no where near the wake of the X-star. X-stars throw rampy, huge wakes and the boat can handle tons of ballast.
Old    97on22s            07-12-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
price?
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-12-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
This thread is starting to get out of control. It's starting to turn into the same old "TAPS doesn't work, Tige's need ballast, MC wakes are huge and rampy" Lets get over that and agree that everyone has preferences and move on. I think all of these boats (MC, Tige, Malibu, Nautique, Supra, etc.) are great boats and we should all be lucky enough to ride behind and in any of them. Amen.

Some of these MC people are quick to discriminate without even riding in or behind this new Tige. The wake may suck or it might kick the sh%t out of an MC....
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-12-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
A ride behind any of these boats is better than being at home and not having a boat.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
Jason,

Notice I said "to me". Being my experience. Now, if you don't want to hear someone else's opinion, I guess there is no need to post on a board.

By the way, don't be mad at me for stating my opinion. We can see you own one and I am sure that the wake is world class...to you.
Old    97on22s            07-12-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
anyone got an idea of cost?
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
I like it...hopefully one day you will see blunt nose boats running around from other manufactures as well From first look, it does seem to integrate some new stuff which is only good for the consumer in the end. The more new products out there the more "The Man" has to up his products' attributes. Cool promo shots of the boats too. I'm gonna have to get AntBug or Umali over here to take some snazy shots like that of our new 23v :-)
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-12-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
Mike,

I'm not mad, I'm pissed (just kidding) I know it's your opinion and you have a good point and I agree that Tiges need ballast to get a really great wake because I add weight to my Tige. I think you nailed it best by saying it's your experience. The nice thing is that everyone has a different preference on wake and boat, otherwise we would all own X-Stars which would get pretty old. I just get tired of the "my boat is better than yours" attitude that seems to creep into all of these boards. I personally like every wake boat I see. They are all cool in my book.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 11:21 PM Reply   
Something that people seem to be missing is that Tige owners are the one's who requested the pickle fork design MONTHS AND MONTHS ago. On tige owners there's a thread that is VERY old that the owners have been requesting the pickle fork design. Is it bad that Tige listened to their owners?

Other things I see that tige listened to their owners about.... squared off transom (to my dismay), under floor ballast, new dash layout/design).
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-13-2006, 12:14 AM Reply   
I like it. If it builds a great wake, it will be like an XSTAR only better!
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-13-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
I would guess that this is where it's really going to count. I don't see any copying here.
Upload
Upload
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
I find it rather amusing/alarming, how many actually think that MC invented the Pickle (what). History states otherwise. They weren't even the first to apply it to this style of boat, let alone any other style for that matter. They simply highlighted it first for this "market." So, keeping pretending, but for those who know, we'll keeping laughing at these threads about Pickles and who was first and who is copying who. This thread is kinda like a 13 year old girls birthday party. Yada, yada, yada, yada, yada, yada, yada, yada-no point-yada, yada, yada, yada, no point, yada, yada, yada....
Old    jthomas            07-13-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
i must say...that back end on the tige is tight!
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-13-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
finally tige comes out with a good looking boat! They have always made such ugly boats. To bad its a copy of MC. Oh well...a step in the right direction
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
By GD (greatdane) on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:14 am:

quote:

I like it. If it builds a great wake, it will be like an XSTAR only better!

If it builds a great wake and is cheaper...We already know the X-star builds a great wake.why would the Tige be better??(cheaper is my only guess)From looking at the back of the boat,it doesn't look promising b/c it reminds me of the Malibu(diamond hull vs. the wakesetter hull)with the outer edges not even with the boat.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-13-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
The revesere or dropped chine should help it track but may cause some tail lift also , the trunk on the X Star is a thing of beauty aint it? . Joe
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-13-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Chris, I'd appreciate it if you'd point out the other pickle-nose equipped wakeboard boat that was introduced before the 2003 X-Star. I don't think a 1978 Sanger flat bottom really counts, nor does any I/O.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
These are amusing posts.

Yes, I own a Tige`. My next boat will probably not be a Tige`, that just how I am, I like to try them all.

I realize that many people on this board are at least "serious weekend" boarders. To you guys, the wake itself is probably THE most important feature of a boat. Laoding the boats with ballast til they are nearly underwater (very cool, IMHO), piling in a people and riding all day long is a "serious" boarder idea of the perfect day.

However, I would venture to guess that MOST of the numbers of people buying new boats this year are more of the family, friends, go have a good time whether we can really board well or not. We all have to start somewhere!

To us, room for seating, coolers, tables, bimini tops with lots of shade, ease of switching form large wake to small, deep sides for safety, and other features are of a much larger concern than how rampy and huge the wake is.
I think this trend explains the popularity of the boats in the 22' and larger size, as well as the general trend towards larger boats.

To me it's just great to see the manufacturers try to build boats that fit all different types of people and needs.
Now if they could just make their dealers service their customers like they should, and build these boats to the overall quality they should be for the price.
Old     (torenzicht)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Let's just hope it handles better than the Mastercraft bathtubs. While the MCs (X-Star and X2) are both great for producing nice fat wakes, some of us actually want a boat that will turn well. I love to pop a powerturn on an unsuspecting group of people in my boat - always good for a laugh and a few injuries. Too bad MC got rid of the tracking fins - let's hope Tige keeps them.

(Message edited by torenzicht on July 13, 2006)
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-13-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
First off I like it!

I think one thing that is a plus for real WAKEBOARDING is the nose of the boat will weight a lot more cuz of all the extra glass used. I don't know for sure but I think that's why the X-star is so rampy. I have also heard that the nose of the Tige does not sit as low in the water as the star. IMO the front of the X-star sits too low and its way to easy to take water over the front if your not careful.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-13-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
John-
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I find that more builders see the need for a do it all boat. If you are a hardcore wakeboarder the X-1 (use to be the X-2) or X-Star are what you want or even a VLX. Every manufacture will make one or 2 models for the hardcore guys. I think the trend of bigger boats is so families can have a boat that fits people like a poontoon (12-16 people), can board or ski behind, and will handle like a sports car. The only thing these boats lack it top end speed and the ability to back up. The features that are being put on the boats is great. I am glad to see Tige step up their game. I was ready to write them off completely because of the interior of the 24 Ve. If the styling and fit and finish are improved I might be a proud owner of the new ZR2.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-13-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
In exchanging emails with the Tige factory, a few additional details were shared. The ballast is not under the floor, but configured to be further in the rear into the transom and the front will be a wrap-around bag in the bow. This was done to retain enough floatation to allow 14 passengers. The X Star is rated for 12 passengers due to in floor ballast, even though it is a longer boat. Water does not come over the nose in the worst of conditions or driving habits. The cock pit and bow space is slightly larger than the X Star. Lots of other little changes too- such as softer foam, better vinyl, electronics, ect. They will start showing up at some dealers over the next month. Seeing in person will really answer all of the questions.
Old     (ace77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-13-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
Looks are great, but pit the two against each other on the water. I think the RZ will out handle the X-Star. If you see the RZ in person as I have, you will see the difference in these two boats.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-13-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
Ace - I'm guessing by your post that you've driven the ZR2 already. What did you think about it? Have you driven the newer X-Stars?
Old     (o0tigegirl0o)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
I posted it on the other thread, so I am going to post it here -
I would just like to say that, in my opinion, the pictures shown on here really don't do the boat justice. There is a lot more going on that you really can't see until you see it in person. ESPECIALLY the sides of the boat and the transom. There is a lot going on that is VERY different from the X-star. I think that many of you who think it's a MC dupe that actually LOOK at the boat will change your tune once you see the real deal in person....Don't just write it off as an X-star copy because some dudes on the internet said it was after they saw a couple pictures. The boat is SICK. See for yourselves!
Old     (psycho)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
all i know is that a certain tige dealer owner talked alot of m/c came out with the new picklefork, and i would have given anything to be there when he first saw/heard about this new tige.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
I think that Coach is right....i.e. that the majority of us are interested in much more than the "perfect wake", but really more interested in the perfect family boat with a really good wake.

At the same time, my hope would be that manufacturers push the envelope in creative ways to realize that goal, as opposed to a carbon copy of something that already exists.

I don't own an MC or a Tige (I've owned MC in the past and currently own a CC), but if I was in the market for a new boat, the Tige model would, for me, to some extent at least, validate the new MC design. Then again, for me, for my next boat, I'll only consider CC, MC, Malibu, and Sanger. From my hours on the water, to me they're the best quality and/or bang for the buck...