Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       06-29-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
has any one ever brought back an over heated engine form the dead. I was haullin a$$ and paying close attention to the depris in the h2o insted of my temp guage I pegged the temp guage and baked my motor any how its now seized and I cant even turn buy handits a 300+ hp 350 mercruiser built by a local motor shop 10+ years ago
JJ
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-30-2006, 3:43 AM Reply   
You looking at a total rebuild. Minimu of all new bearings, pistons, and rods. Potentially will require a new crankshaft. The heads will have to be checked for warping, either resurface (plane) or replace.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-30-2006, 4:43 AM Reply   
You may not be quite as bad as you're probably imagining right now. Pull the plugs and pour a little marvel mystery oil in each of the holes and let it sit for a few hours. I don't know if you let the engine cool completely before you tried cranking it again but those parts expand enough to seize when hot but MAY, and that's the key word here, MAY compress back when cooled down. Then you'll just be doing compression tests looking for blown gaskets and the like. Good luck.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
thanks for the 411 Ill try the oil in the cylinders
JJ
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-03-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Jay,

Did you get a chance to tear into it yet?
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-03-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
I did and found that it THANK GOD isent seized after all I was able to turn it over bu hand after it had all cooled down. The starter wont enguage though I am sure I smoked it with the heat. This next week I am going to replace the h20 pump, replace the starter, and change the oil, do a compression check and see whats up. I am very hopefull at this point.
enjoy your fourth
JJ
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-04-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
JJ,

Keep in mind there are two waterpumps, the raw water and the re-circ, keep an eye on the temp gauge once you get it running again.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-04-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
I will I am going to check both just in case thanks for the heads up
JJ
Mikeski youve got mail
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
Dont Forget the Thermostat!!! Its a cheap place to start. check the oil for water and possibly metal shavings.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
all good info thanks
JJ
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-17-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Well its oficial the motor has to come out.I had some time today.I pulled the starter and bench tested it. Starter was fine so I reinstalled it and tried to start the boat still to no avail I had my wife turn it over as I watched the starter turn the big fly wheel and well it turns but the crank does not looks like a rebuild to me boo hoo
Hay does anyone know the torgue rating of a mercruiser 260 alpha 1 I cant seem to find it anywhere on the net??? and if I have to build a new motor I might as well build it to the max of what equipment I am running.
Mikeski still want to liquidate those manifolds?? I could use them
JJ
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-17-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
If the flywheel is turning, i'm pretty sure the crank has to be turning. They're kinda bolted together. You might be suprised how much abuse a block can take. Is the oil frothy with water?
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-17-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
there wasent any h2o getting to the motor so there isent any h2o in the oil "yet"
well if there bolted together there is something broken cause the fly wheel is turning and none of the pullys on the front are???
JJ
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-17-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
I want calling you a liar JJ and i apoligize if my tone sounded accusatory. Its possible the flywheel retaining bolts could have let go. You're right though. Since its a sterndrive, that motor's gonna have to come out. If you rebuild, you might consider putting a 400 crank in it to make it a 383 stroker. Has anyone here done this on their boat. Those are my plans when the 351W in my boat finally gives up.

DKJ
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-17-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
no no no not at all bro I appreciate all the input but yep its definately gotta come out I now neet to post on "need a third be a third" as far as a stroker moter mine is a chevy and I am still tryiny to find out about torque on a 260 alpha 1
JJ
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-17-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
A 383 stroker is a chevy. Basically, its a 350 block bored 0.030" over with the crank from a 400 cu in small block chevy. Its a rather popular upgrade for hotrods and trucks.

Torque on a Mercruiser 350 Mag EFI is 365 ft-lbs @3,800rpm. My best SWAG (systematic wild as guess) on a carbed motor would be 320-340ft-lbs@3,400-3,600 rpm.

DKJ
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-17-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
actually I am trying to find out how much torque a 260 alpha 1 outdrive will handle. DKJ I will ask my motor builder about the stroker thanks for the tip
JJ
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-17-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
DKJ
Just talked to my motor builder he agrees a 383 stroker would be the ticket if my outdrive can handle the torque, well see. Thanks for the tip I will let you know how it goes.
JJ
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-17-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Just returned from vacation...

Manifolds are sitting on the garage floor...