Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-23-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, just trying to get some contact info for this place... its on that island on 5mph zone on one end of Victoria. I'm thinking about getting my dad a membership or something so he can meet new people and get more invovled on the water. Sadly, he has not heeded my encouraging words of trying to check out WakeWorld, through which I've had wonderufl experiences of meeting great people. Thanks in advance, ciao :-)
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Hurry up and get a membership before they destroy all of the houses and kick everyone off of the island. Anyone have an update on kicking the people off the island? I wish the public could camp there. That would be great place to camp.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-23-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
I heard last week they had a meeting and the county is still going ahead with the eviction and clearing of the island. No idea on a time frame, I'm sure they will still fight it but I guess we'll see.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-23-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, I remember some people talking about some issues about houses on that island. That is really sad they are kicking people off. It would be such an awesome place to camp and hang out in general. Good luck to them with all that! You've got my support, Delta love baby :-)

Once again though, does anyone have a phone # or something? Thanks
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-23-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
www.ggwsc.org

thats their website
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-23-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
Since I'm on the GGWSC comitte to save the structures I can comment. The Contra Costa board of supervisors heard our appeal to the abatement notice they posted in Feb a week ago today. In spite of our arguments that we're not hurting anyone (no accidents in 35 years) or polluting the Delta (professional random water tests over the last 5 years show none) the county refuses to look at us as a club with just part time recreational use of the island. At this point we are examining out options regarding a law suit. The County will not allow any structures, docks, facilities or camping so undoubtedly if they prevail the island will go back to it's natural state which was basically a big jungle.

There is absolutely zero chance this will ever become a public campground as the County certainly can't turn around and install the very amenities they are refusing to allow us to install nor do they have the money or any of the other resources to do so.

The 5 mph zones and buoys entering Victoria are there because of our docks and because we maintain them. There were 3 deaths in 2 years due to skier collisions with our docks, the island and other boats back in the early 70's before the coast guard gave us approval to place the buoys and create the idle zone. Once the County has taken posession of the island we will pull the buoys and 5 mph zone will be gone. This means there will be boats coming at speed out of the left Vic slough around to the right channel entrance as well as up the straightaway from King Island and from the right (lawn side-secret slough) all at speed. Those who hate having to drop their rider at the end of Vic will be happy with this but we are pretty certain there will be at least one person run over, if not more, during the first year until the County figures it out. We replace those 3 buoys on average about twice each during any given year so anyone who thinks the coast guard or sheriff will even begin to be able to maintain them ought to go smoke somemore crack.

As it is I've seen the sheriff around there less this year then ever before, probably due to the 55 million dollars the supervisors had to cut to balance the county's budget. (but they've got a couple million around extra to pay for the domolition obviously)

Since the island is rocked and there will be no docks it's unlikely the general boating public will be able to access it (like ski beach) but where there's a will there's a way. Our current restrooms get destroyed to the tune of about one a month from the general public (the one we leave unlocked) and we constantly clean up the public's trash but in spite of that we have always tried to allow for convenience usage by the public and asked only that they show some respect for our property.

We actually have had memberships available for the last few years and one can still join and use the place until the County has it's way with it. (which may not be until late next year.)

Sorry if I sound bitter but I have been boating out there since 1979 and a member of the club since 1984. I know someone is going to get killed there, it's just a matter of time and I know what that island will look like if the general public has free reign on it. I can tell you with certainty that the board of supervisors could care less about the public's safety or the condition of that area. Bottom line is they tore down Salisbury and are afraid that they will be sued if they let us stay so it's safer for them to uphold the abatement.

Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-24-2005, 12:22 AM Reply   
Rich,

Sorry about all the crap going down with the island. I hope you guys can figure something out to save the island and houses.

Have any of you considered trying to fight the system from the inside? Have someone in the club run for office within the county. How about a petition with signatures of residents from the county. You could also contact some people in the media to apply a little pressure. If that doesn't work, PAYOFF! :-)

Paul
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-24-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
I wish you guys all the luck in the world to keep your island going. I know you guys really take care of the place and that 5 zone is a good thing definitely. I have a place on Kings Island and couldn't imagine having someone want to tear it down. Again, Good Luck!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Believe me we wish we were in your county!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-24-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
Thanks so much for the responses.