Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
I had to hijack this from my local site, look what happened to a friend of mines 06 x-2...I haev never seen anything like this before. No permanent damage whatsoever. I'm sure he'll see this and elaborate.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
I dont see how he could get on the trailer.

-Steve
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
If the boat was floating over the trailer, and then the trailer was pulled out of the water, the boat would settle into it's current position. Thus the stump would have floated over the prop guard.

My question is, unless he was going VERY slow, how did he not mess up the bottom of the boat, and his tranny. Even perfect reflexes couldn't put that thing in neutral before the prop had spun around...... Wierd.

Only one prop blade of dammage...

Must be a plant.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
Im cunfused how the stump didnt destroy the bottom as well ?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
He was at idle, (was pulled back in by a friend) and when he finally got the stump off the prop (using a drill) he put the boat back in the water and no vibration.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
From the orginal post.

"Headed out to the lake from usj and got to the shallow part, took the old route. Tons of other people were going that way, most at speed. I idled to play it safe. Bonk. It turned off the engine (when I guess prop couldn't turn all the way.) I checked it - soft wood stump just on the prop, nothing else. Couldn't get it off. Thanks to Jay and Rich for towing us in in their X2. I went to storage and luckily had a corded drill there and went to town on this thing. I eventually drilled enough holes that it came off. It probably weighed 15 lbs. Prop looked fine except for some scuffing, it turned fine etc. No visible damage. Took the boat back to the river to find out how bad the vibrations were etc. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Ran fine. Watched engine temp, oil pressure, check for leaks, tested everything. Tested and tested and eventually decided to ride it was so perfect"
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-18-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
Go buy a lottery ticket, its his lucky day.
Incredible there was no damage done.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-18-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Crazy stuff that nothing was damaged...

I could start a thread called X-1 vs. Anchor... last weekend we were out doing some casual surfing, when suddenly my sister thought the wave changed shape; I thought nothing of it and we kept surfing until the rider fell (about 3 mins). Then we took a break and did some swimming, when all of a sudden a friend askes me, "what is that rope hanging from the prop?" I had no idea what he was talking about, so we got out the goggles and sure enough there was a rope hanging from the prop. We grab it and pull it up to see what is on the bottom (this rope was probably 30 feet long) and surprisingly we pull up a nice size anchor in perfect condition. The rope had about 2000 twists in it, and luckily we were close enough to shore that we were drifting into a shallow sandy area near a friends house where you can touch. We took off the platform and after 10 minutes of diving under the boat we got the rope off the prop, with not a single tear or cut on the rope, just twisted like no other. In the end it reminded me of something you'd see in a cartoon; boat dragging an anchor along

sorry for the threadjack Adam, but wanted to share this somewhere...
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-18-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
thats pretty much the way it went down

i shoulda bought that lottery ticket. having a great ride after all that was good enough for me though
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
To be safe u may want to have that prop checked to see if it's true. It only takes .007 off to cause vibrations that u may not feel that can cause damage to ur rotating parts.
Old    00wakesetter            07-18-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
Good job on not hauling a** through that section of the lake. It was just a matter of time before someone hit something in that spot. We need to know where the channel runs so we start going that way.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
if he would have been on plane he probably wouldn't have hit it. I was always curious ot knwo the draft on most inboards with no weight, on plane....can't be more than a foot???
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-19-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
yeah i planned on checking the prop soon
Old     (zhendrix)      Join Date: May 2006       07-19-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Crazy Andrew, Dont bring it to us, You know how long it'll take after all the 4th of July incidents. We are almost 3 weeks out on servicing. Our service department already has a stellar reputation I might add. jk. But seriously. You can always hop on my boat till your's gets looked at...
Old    00wakesetter            07-19-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
Adam, or it could have ripped his prop and rudder off.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-19-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
I am sorry to say that you would not have had the same luck with a CNC prop (ACME/ OJ XMP). I churned up my share of driftwood with my old OJ Legend. Now I feel if something gets within 1" of my Acme it's replacement time...
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-20-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
zach - luckily i already have a 100 hr service appointment next week. i will take the prop off and have it checked out seperately before then i hope.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
I 2nd Mikeski's post. These CNC props suck when it comes to being durable. The whole stuck stump thing is just another "u gotta see it to believe it" situation. It is amazing his prop was not bent. 2nd the lottery ticket purchase as well.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
ask Buzz how well a box anchor and an anchor buddy holds up while idling and eventually having a rider in tow for a couple hundred feet!
Old    ejojprop            07-21-2006, 3:38 AM Reply   
Mike,

The propeller in the pic is a CNC machined OJ XMP. Our CNC machined propellers are as durable as our handfinished props. We also build the strut, rudder and fins shown.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-21-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I think the prop may be slightly bent. Yesterday when heavily weighted I could feel a vibration getting out of the hole. I am taking the prop off and to a shop tomorrow to check how far it is off. Can't be much - it feels fine on plane.
Old     (zhendrix)      Join Date: May 2006       07-21-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
100 hrs on your boat already? Dang. Loving it.