Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have a n 86 supra and four part of the stringers to be rotten under the drivers seat. I know there is more rot. I live in ohio and would like to get the floor and stringers redone. any idea of cost and or what it takes to DIY? any infoe or help will be awesome. Thanks
nick
Old    d_fresh            07-14-2006, 4:04 AM Reply   
Floor and stringers by a boat repair, $5000. Yourself, $500 if you have the tools. Need a compressor to run a die grinder to cut out the floor. Chisels and pry bars to rip the old floor out. 1/2" exterior ply wood, fiberglass resin, Fiberglass, etc.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
Doug,
I would like to see some pics if you have done this. Also what do you use to yank the motor?? My picker wont lift the motor that high. I love $500 and Hate $5000 but am just wondering how hard it would be to get the motor it the exact location once new motormount stringers are replaced. Any more input on this would be great. Thanks
Old    d_fresh            07-20-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
My buddy just did a 23' Supra floor and stringers. Fortunately he had a high-low available for pulling the engine. You can call your local tow truck company, and they can pull the engine and set it down for you.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-20-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
I had to remove one of the tires from my trailor and it gave me just enough clearance to get the motor over the gunnel
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
I've pulled an engine by winching it into a tree with a comealong, and pulling the boat out from under it.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-21-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Isn't that covered under the lifetime warranty?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-21-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
To get the engine out of the boat you have several options.

1) Build a frame over the boat using a 4x8 beam and some 4x4 legs. Lift the engine up using a come-along or chain hoist. Pull the boat/trailer out of the way.

2) Get the engine all disconnected, take the boat/trailer down to someplace that has some overhead anchor point. I would be tempted to find an empty industrial building that had a loading dock with an overhead I beam. Back the boat up, attach you chain hoist, pull the engine, back a truck in, lower the engine into the truck, drive away!

3) Many boat dealers have a crane that they use for lifting new boats off the delivery truck. You might be able to work a deal to use their crane to lift the engine out.

4) If your boat is still operable I would go to the "find a third" part of these forums and offer free pulls to anyone who has a backhoe or forklift.

I would recommend option 1. Getting the engine out is the easy part, getting it back in will be a bitch. You are going to want to be able to take your time while you get the engine mounts figured out.