Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-16-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
x star more room by far than a nat the wake with 4000 pounds is the best hands down and the biggest reason to by a xstar everytime you pull up to another boat on the water you will say to yourself i am so glad i bought a xstar
Old     (rwb_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-16-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
Love my '04 XSTAR...no complaints from me. Finally took some more pics as the only others I posted where when I had the custom Boatmate Trailer made.

Love the look/build and of course the wake. As others stated it is big with a long transition. With more weight it plain rocks...however you will want a new prop.

A lot of the ladies who come out like to surf...I would rate it ok at best for wakesurfing if that is of any consideration. I really only compare it to the Enzo I go surf behind however and that beast makes a killer surf wake.

Upload

(Message edited by Rwb_xstar on September 16, 2009)
Old     (lion90)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-17-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
wes umland (ryan11) ,

Got some owner's goggles there, don't you? Depends which Nautique you compare to as the 230 definitely has more room in the cockpit area than an XStar and the boat is definitely bigger side by side.

The XStar definitely has a great wake with a lot of weight, arguably one of the best I have been on, but what is best for one, is not for all.

I went with the 230 since the wake is still huge with weight and is a little steeper (which *I* like)... The cockpit area is much bigger. It throws a much better wakesurf wake (I don't think any XStar owner will disagree) and has a better warranty.

Now, with that said, do I think my boat is *better* than an XStar... nope... do I think it is worse... nope...

I do however think it is better *for me*.

Blanket statements like *hands down better* just crack me up. So many things in life are person preference.

The other day when I passed an XStar being towed back to the docks, I don't think they were thinking... so glad I bought an XStar. However, before I get flamed, yes, all boats break down... this latter part is more tongue in cheek.

(Message edited by lion90 on September 17, 2009)
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-17-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Rahn,

I appreciate your comment about the X Star's surf wake.
I own a AVY C4 and dig the surf wake but would love to have an XStar for the wakeboard wake.
Who else here with an XStar would like to comment on the surf wake?
Is not having a wake plate the problem?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-19-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
The surf wake is not the greatest. I have surfed behind our Xstar. But we did not really work to try to achieve a good surf wake. I think all we did was weight the one locker in the back along with the KGB ballast. I'm sure other owners have been able to achieve a decent surf wake, but I don't surf enough to worry about it.
Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
I have an 04 X-star and absolutely love the boat. but it needs more the stock ballast and that is for sure. if i could do my purchase over again the only difference i would have made would be the bigger motor i have the 350 and that motor definitely knows that i have the boat full of water. but thats the only think i'd do different. but i must agree with dave as well the SAN's are really good boats and put out a better surf wake.

X-Star surf wake. if you have the fly high system and want the best possible surf wake we found take and fill the side you intend to ride all the way then just fill the hard tank of the opposite side leaving the opposite sides fly high bag empty. also fill the front hard tank and half of the front fly high. then take another 750# fat sack and set it on the sets on the side you intend to ride and put your spectators on that side as well. And the finally key to a great surf wake is take off your swim deck. the wake gets way better with your swim deck not slicing up the water. sorry i don't have any pictures but that's the best i've seen out of the x-star for surf
Old    star_star            09-20-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
03 on is the newer hull style. 05 has throttle by wire and swivel board racks. 06 has new rudder and tower legs. 08 has vdig (digital dash). nothing else has changed other than cockpit design and tower design. that being said try to find an 05 or newer as the swivel board racks and throttle by wire are nice upgrades. however, if the deal is super-sweet on the 04 jump all over it.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-20-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
x star is hands down a better looking boat than any of the other tow boats out there. it has more room for storage or sacks than any other boat and with 4000 pounds of weight in it, well do i really need to say it. everyboat breaks down. correct craft better have a good warranty because your giong to need it any other boat out there the wake is so sensitive to weight you can be off a little bit with the weight in a x star and you will still get a clean huge wake. and when my x star breaks down i will still be sitting there loving the fact that i bought a xstar and everybody that watches it get pulled out of the water will be saying damn thats a nice boat.
Old     (lion90)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2009, 4:20 AM Reply   
Ignorance is bliss, I guess. You need that chip knocked off your shoulder. Open your eyes to realize that there are other great boats out there and no one of them is "hands down" better than the other for everyone.

You need to check your facts, especially on the "has so much more room for storage than any other boat" or "going to need the warranty for the correct craft" which is arguably one of the best built boats on the water.

Anyway, this is pointless. Whatever you need to say to justify your purchase. Enjoy your boat, it is a great boat. Just not "hands down" the best boat for me and many others on this site.

*sigh*

(Message edited by lion90 on September 21, 2009)
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-21-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
I second DArin u will use ALOT more gas to get a similar sized wake... Midwest riders sorry i havent gotten any pics ive been pretty sick in and outta the hospitol i may get to go riding this weekend.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-22-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
I simply do not agree with these guys saying you'll use a lot more gas. Look at it this way, if your boat is the same length as an Xstar, roughly the same weight, and the same engine size, why would the Star use more gas? I had an X-1 prior to the Star I picked up this year, and taking into consideration, bigger, heavier boat with larger motor and larger tank; the gas isn't anything out of the ordinary, and I am a stickler for costs, so trust me, I would notice if I thought my boat was using twice the gas.

Now, there was a couple of times, when we were weighted so heavily the boat would take forever to get on plane. Yes, we burned a lot of gas. However, two things I can draw from this:

1. Any boat would have sucked gas in the same manner under those conditions.

2. I can't imagine many boats having a "similar sized wake" as what we were throwing.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-22-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
Guess u havent rode in a 230 then jeremy... the wake is very similar in size.(notshape) I have ridden behind both boats ALOT. And alot of time in an x-1. Just because a boat is similar in size doesnt mean same fuel consumption there are a ton of things u arent taking into consideration hull shape, transmission, motor etc etc etc. I love mastercrafts I do but if you talk to alot of people that have ridden in a mastercraft and other vdrives the star simply uses more gas... IDK what kinda ballast you are using but with the fly high pwt systen the xtar uses alot of gas. Yes the wake is awesome though and worth the money... but so is the 230.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-22-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
The X-star is a gas hog......period! It doesn't make it a bad boat, it just makes it a gas hog. Just a fact.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-22-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
look at the pics above. The xstars are far better looking boats. Take off your owners goggles for a minute go get lasik, if you need it. The two x stars the black and the white are some of the sickest boats ive ever seen. I love the orange 230 natique or what ever model it is but not even close to looking as good as a newer x star .
Old     (seankey)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-22-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
I have ridden behind Rahn's XStar posted above all summer, and I really don't think the gas consumption is that out of line. I mean seriously, who puts 3-4 thousand pounds of water into a 70-90 thousand dollar boat and really bitches about it using a little more gas. Boats in general use a lot of gas. If a day full of chilling and wakeboarding costs $100 it is worth it.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-22-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
If I'm gonna spend 100,000 dollars on a boat that thing better throw the best wake in the world straight from the factory. It doesnt make sense to buy a boat that cost that much and then have to put another 3000 pounds of ballast in it to make the wake good.

Now with that being said. I think an Xstar is a bada** boat. I have a Vlx and my neighbor has an Xstar and I ride his a good bit. He has the Fly high system and I mean still I would choose my Vlx any day of the week over it, but I'm not saying the wake isnt good. I think there are boats out there that dont get enough credit.

One other thing my VLX is a 2005 and I have never had one mechanical problem with the boat(knock on wood) and my neighbor who bought his boat this summer brand new his broken down twice. I can tell you one thing i wasnt saying damn thats a nice boat when he was pulling it out the water I was laughing at him because that means he is outta riding while I'm enjoying myself out on the river instead of towing my boat all the way to the dealer and fooling with them.

But I'm not bashing X star at all because that is my 2nd Favorite boat to wakeboard on. But I dont get the hype for these boats because there are boats and wakes out there that are just as good if not better than an Xstar
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-22-2009, 10:33 PM Reply   
WES, I agree the xstar is the sickest looking boat by far... David all these boats make great wakes from the factory... some people may be doing more advanced tricks than you and need more than factory ballast. Last time i rode in an xstar i think it was running like 4200 rpms at wakeboard speed w the fly high system the 230 ran like 3200 around the same speed. Idk why and I am not bashing it. I would love to own an xtar. I just wanted the dude to be informed it burns a little more gas. Outta everyone I ride with its considered pretty much common knowledge. And yet 90 percent of the boats where i live are xstars. I mean IDK why people get all defensive. Every boat has its selling points and flaws.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-22-2009, 10:55 PM Reply   
I'm not defensive about the gas issue. With only stock ballast running at 23 mph on the PP, puts me almost exactly at 3500 RPM's. Running 25 mph with ballast plus 1000 put me at 3800 RPM's (not 100% sure, but I think that is close).

The guy asked for advice about the boat. We own one and I disagree that they use ALOT more gas than other similiar sized boats. I'm not calling anyone a liar, just stating what I have observed from the past 7 months driving and riding behind one (2007 X Star).
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-23-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
In response to Tim's post way up there.
"J-rod,
I think ive heard something about minor hull changes as well around that time. My friend has an 05 or 06 (cant remember) but the wake is distinctly different than my shop's 08 xstar. the 08 has seems to be a little steeper with more of a lip on it than my friends older x star and its wake also gets bigger with less weight...an yes theyre weighted the same way with the flyhigh system."

Just curious, but steeper USUALLY means more weight in the back (to a point). Do you know what engines both of those boats have? If the 08 has a bigger/heavier engine, with the same exact weight it's going to be a bit steeper. Just a thought.

Either way, both the xstar and the 230 are amazing boats with amazing wakes. It would all depend on personal preference. Do you want a steeper wake or a rampier wake, bc they are both going to be about the same in wake size, and differ in shape. I disagree with the nautiques being so picky on side to side weight distribution. On the smaller 210s, 220(especially!), and crossovers, then yeah they are picky. But the 230 isn't (not from my experiences at least.). I'd go with the 230 personally, bc of the seating versatility, zero off, wake (my preference), room, and looks (again just my preference). Especially if the choice is based on an older xstar with rebuilt engine, or newer 230 with original engine and less hours. Just to throw a curveball in there though...have you looked at an Axis by any chance? Or even an Epic?
Old     (lion90)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-24-2009, 4:48 AM Reply   
I guess it depends on what you call picky as far as side to side sensitivity. I have a 2009 230 and it is definitely more side to side weight sensitive then a Malibu and IMO an XStar... however, I don't think it is a problem. I have a 50lb lead brick that I can move side to side and that is usually enough to get it perfect (of course I am kind of a perfectionist and want it perfectly balanced).

With that said, that side to side sensitivity is because the boat will lean to the side more with weight and the wake is steeper. The steeper the wake, the more sensitive it is to side weight from my experience. This side sensitivity is what I believe makes this boat great for wakesurfing as it doesn't take tons of weight to get that lean going to produce a nice curl on either side.

When I bought this boat, it was between the XStar, VLX and 230. I chose the 230 because it was what I thought was best... for me. All great boats and all will put out a wake that will be more than enough for most of us on this board.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-24-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
I have an X-star and love it, but i would say if you plan on surfing at all, go with the 230. Simple as that.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-26-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
Midwest riders idk if u bought a boat yet but check the wake in this video RAthy rides a 230. Hes prolly running about 4000+ ballast from the looks of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA93bV-phA8
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
That wake rolls over and washes like crazy on his landings. Good things he kills it and takes it to the flats :-)
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       10-04-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
Here are those pics as promised both riders are around 6ft 1 tall the one in the drysuit is at 75 ft the other is 70. took em with my iphone sorry bout the quality. There was only the driver and me in the boat.Upload
Upload
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-09-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
How much ballast was in the boat?
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       10-11-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
maybe 3k, that was prolly the least weight weve had in it when ive rode in it. Last time that I rode it we had about 3200 and 8 people and it was the biggest I have ever seen in my entire life.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-16-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
whats up with the washed out wake? Is that how the 230 rolls with 4000 pounds. If so im glad i bought a x star.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-17-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
notice what Rathy is riding in this vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245G-W3ic3M&NR=1
wait till the very end
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-17-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Wes,

What is washed out?? Take off the goggles dude!
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       10-18-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
I see no wash in my pics bro, unless u are looking 10 feet behind the rider. Actually I think the wash is further back on the 230 than the xstar and u can run a little slower speed without getting into the slop