Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (hypo303)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
needing a new helmet..what do you think for protection
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
don't forget about Shred Ready www.shredready.com
Old    wickedwake            08-02-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
I have the Capix and it works great. Plus it makes you look like a sick player
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-02-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
Look for eardrum protection in whatever helmet you buy. Just a thought.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
The big problem with the capix is they only have two sizes. I first bought the s/m and it was to small. So I sent it back and got the L/XL and it is to big. I wear a size 7 1/4. It is the coolest looking helmet. It feels kind of cheasy though. If I could go back I would buy the protech

(Message edited by wakeboard19 on August 02, 2005)
Old    wickedwake            08-02-2005, 8:45 PM Reply   
Capix coms with ear drum protection and a new full set of pads. I wear a 7 1/2 and the L/XL fits me well. I dont think it feels cheesy. Not as rigid as the Pro Tec but you make some sacrifices to look like a stone cold baller
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-02-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Well I just bought a Protech helmet yesterday with
earprotection. I will let you know after this sunday what I think.
P.S. After much reluctancy over the years,I bought one after blowing my right eardrum
out last week on vaction!!
Hopefully its worth the protection, cause man I look like I should be riding the short bus with that thing on!!!
Ok.Ok. let the jokes roll in!!!
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Proabably better to look like you ride the short bus than to actually have to ride the short bus...don't you think?

Eric
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
How much padding is on the inside of the capix wake helmet? I was looking at getting one and haven't seen a good picture of the inside.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Not much really. It reminds me of those fake batting helmets sold at major league ballparks. Style a-plenty, but not much in the way of protection. I think ot would prevent cuts and scrapes on your dome, but nothing more serious than that.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-03-2005, 4:44 PM Reply   
I'm with Ant, Shred Ready
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
I've never tried shred ready so i can't give you any advice about that. But if you are debating between the capix and the protech, as far as what will help protect you better go for the protech.
Old    260searay            08-03-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
I have a protech and love it. The only thing i do not like is on hard crashes sometimes the ear pieces come un-snapped.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
I have pro tech and shred ready and I like shred ready the best. Both come with ear flaps but if you really want ear drum protection the best thing to use is ear plugs with the helmet.
Old    murrayair            08-18-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
I have a capix and don't like it at all. I can't get it comfy on my head, and it always falls off (or rather, gets ripped off) when I crash hard. A month ago I crashed hard on a botched 360 and the impact with the water tore it off my head, leaving a 3 inch cut on my jaw where the strap clip was. Since then I haven't used it at all.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-20-2005, 12:06 AM Reply   
I have a protec and I ended up just taking the ear pads off cause they fall off all the time and a friend ended up loosing one of them. Someone suggested glueing them on. I usually only wear it for wakeskating though.......but may start using it more?

As for "real" ear protection.... www.proplugs.com. After I blew an eardrum I hardly ride without them.....
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-20-2005, 5:03 AM Reply   
I have the pro-tec and love it. I actually forget I'm wearing a helmet when I'm riding, which really surprised me. Then I get home and look at pics and wonder who the hoser is...doh, that's me... At least I've been concussion free since I've started wearing it. :-)