Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-29-2005, 11:42 PM Reply   
Which boat is the better choice i go out with 2 or 3 buddy at the same time, we want a big wake, lot of pop, not to expensive on gas, average or good storage, .... tell me which one will throw the best wake with factory ballast system ??
Old     (ridnlow)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2005, 12:48 AM Reply   
Ive been here a short time and ive learned that questions like these all lead to pissing matches about what boat is the best.. opinions are like buttholes and believe me everyone here has one.. My only advice would be go DEMO each boat and see which one you like for yourself..

(Message edited by ridnlow on May 30, 2005)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-30-2005, 1:45 AM Reply   
I think the SAN and the VLX would be a better compairison. The VLX has alot of storage. It has rear ballast center and an optional bow ballast tank. We have that in our LSV, that and the wedge put a great wake with just 4 people in the boat.

I think the big diffrences in the two boats come down to wake shape, wake width, and storage. SAN a steep narrow wake, so you'll get alot of air straight up. The VLX has a rampy wide wake, not as high, but you go way out in the flats, with the wedge, it gives out a little steeper wake so you can have two wakes with that. ok thats my opinion.

Both boats are quality boats, put out pro wakes. Go to the dealer see how they treat you. And go demo the boats, sit in them, bring all of your stuff with you that you would normally, maybe even your friends.

Best of luck!
Old     (jeffry)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-30-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
All about the Super Air, best boat out there by far
Only fault is the lack of storage
Old    zboomer            05-30-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
Super Air fault #2. Almost all owners have thicker ownership goggles than any other boat.
Old     (jeffry)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-30-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Hey Boomer,
I do not even own one
When I save up enough, you can bet I will be buying one
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-01-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Boomer, nice malibu.......J/K! Your post is the only type of response a 'bu owner will come up with when compared against a Nautique; good effort.
Old    zboomer            06-02-2005, 6:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for backing up my response...

Enjoy your "faultless" boat, lol.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2005, 8:14 AM Reply   
Boomer, 2 posts, both negative. NICE. Good info to put up when someone asks a legit question, even if it's in broken english.

Why don't you talk about the merits of your boat and why you chose Malibu instead of starting a pissing match with a guy who doesn't even own a boat?? Rediculous.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-02-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Drew had it right, didn't he?

hyperlitenerd at least provided some insight into each boat.

Jeff really provided nothing except stating that a Super Air is by far the best boat and it's ONLY fault is storage. Which is obviously biased and all relative.

Demo both and determine what is best for you and what is a "fault" for you. A super air wasn't for me, not just because of storage but also the amount of seating, handling of chop, dealer and the fact that I like a rampier wake. So, we went with a bigger boat.

I love all of these boats including the SAN, VLX, LSV and many other boats... it just wasn't best for me.

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-02-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
here in canada you cannot demo boat and try their wake behind the boat !! that sucks a lot !!!
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-02-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
Maybe you can find someone with a similar boat to give you a pull. I haven't ridden behind the new malibu hull so I can't speak regarding it, but I do own a 97 super sport which is the same hull as the new SAN.
The wake if very nice and poppy. I ride with 2300lbs of ballast plus people. The storage in the nautique could be better, I don't have much room in compartments because they are all filled with sacs. I did manage to get it all in compartments so all of the seating is available. I usually ride with the bow cover on and have 4-6 people in the boat. It doesn't seem too cramped to me. Of coarse my last boat was a direct drive and I had sacs laying everywhere so this is a big improvement.
I don't think you could go wrong with either boat. Both should throw a good wake. I know the older LSV's(diamond hull) weren't that good but since I think 2004 they changed the hull to a wake hull which should be much better.
I would probably choose the boat based on the price and what dealer is going to give you the best after the sale service. Good luck with your choice.

(Message edited by sbt3 on June 02, 2005)
Old    bambamski            06-02-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Wake Addict

Where did you hear that you can't demo a boat? I drove and rode behind mine before I bought a boat. Your dealer must be feeding you a line. I could have ridden behind the Tige or the Supra as well.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
What up? You can't go wrong with either of them, but they are definitely in a different class as far as size. Hyperlitenerd was right on. I would look at the VLX and X-2 as comparison boats to a SAN. They are all killer, but personal choice is just that.

Honestly, coming from someone getting an X-2 in a week: I say the '05 VLX has a hand up on them all. The ballast is under the floor allowing the storage to be free of tanks. It has all the bells and whistles. One of the best factory ballast wakes of anything (arguably the best). It is also the widest and has the most interior space.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
I own an 02' SANTE, and completely agree with Stan. We would have way more storage if we didn't fill the rear hatches with bags, but we do leave enough room for vests and that helps with riders switching out etc. Under the seat storage is reserved for boat gear, ropes, anchor, etc. We usually pile all the bags in the walk through to the bow. 6 people comfy and happy is no problem.

I too came from a D-drive and this is completely different and way better for our purposes. The wake is a whole different world. It's narrow, so that means longer rope and better setup time. The boat handles well and does great cruising in moderate chop. 21' is easy to weight down. I love my boat.

I have ridden behind what is now the Mastercraft X-2, and it is an outstanding boat as well. The wake shape can be controlled much like the SAN, by adding and subtracting to the bow and stern. I am 220 lbs so I like steep wakes that pop, otherwise I am flying flat, I want hang time. you will probably find that no matter what boat you get, you'll be weighting it down sooner or later. Manufacturer's cannot put the ballast you want in there due to liability and coast guard regulations, otherwise they would all have 2000lb setups.

I admire the Malibu's alot, they are sharp boats and they definately have taken them to another level in the last 5 yrs. I see a ton of them, and they are all very slick.

If I did not live in a relatively remote area, my decision for a boat would be heavily based on the dealer. The closest dealer is 1.5 hrs away, and that's California CC, so it helps me out. We have a local shop, and they can probably help out, but it always pays to do stuff yourself when you can. I do all my maintenance and read tons posts on boats and boat problems.

Good luck.