Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-07-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
During this last summer i used several other families' handles and found them to be a bit more comfortable than mine. I got an eva handle from hardline a couple of years ago. it was a step up dramatically from the rubber tracter grip i had before, but still nothing like some others i tried

The things i think that were different that i liked/ noticed
1. the handle seemed softer, despite it was eva too (i think this might have been due to the shallower cuts for the grip... mine have too much grip with dimond shapes with deep cuts)
2. The handle diameter was probably better for me ( this might have influenced the softer pull too)

ANYWAY... i was shopping at a department store, saw some conduit (pipe insulation) and suddenly had a bit of inspiration.
I temporarily attached a piece to the handle. It feels plusher than anything EVER and it increased the diameter too... AND even better, It is Much much much CHEAPER! I got it and my hands wet and it doesnt seem slippery, so i don't think i'll sacrifice grip (except maaybee the calouse tearing grip underneath) I havn't tried it out on the water yet, behind the boat and will have to wait till April/ May for that.

Has anyone ever thought of or tried something like this before???? If so, how did it work out? maybe you have pictures or something to for show? ... hmm i'll have to get one up of mine if i can
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-07-2006, 11:21 PM Reply   
just web cam picks, hope they work ok
the first is plain.
the second is the plush squeeze
the third picture is the reminance of the warm cush squeeze just seconds after releasing

P.S. the strips are velcro strips for additional security. the insulation i bought had glue strips for the ends to be joined. There is no adhesive on the handle directly

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2006, 12:01 AM Reply   
Im not sure how long it will last though lol. Ive used them for years as replacements for tube handles and they usually last about three hours. As soon as they get the slightest tear, the whole thing just falls apart and becomes useless. I mean it would probably be fine if you dont mind replacing it a couple times a day. Its not that expensive. Also, wouldnt it be wayyy harder to grip when passing the handle quickly, I usually catch it in just my fingers when doing quick passes, and that seems like you have to use your whole hand no matter what.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-08-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Seems a bit clumsy for handle passes.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-08-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Just buy a Proline LG!!If you want a nice soft handle.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
Your hands will get tired really quick because now you have to use your hole hand to grip the handle instead of just your fingers.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-08-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
All this may be true... but i think i'll have to wait till end of april. My spins are pretty lame anyway... but of course i don't want them to stay stagnant or get worse... we will see.

It is one thing to hold a handle in your hands in the store and wrap it arround something for resistance test, then it is another thing to actually be out on the water behind the boat.

If the extra wrapping makes my hands more tired than without it than i am definately ripping the wrap off and investing in a new handle in the future....... Or i'll just keep using others' i guess :-)