Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (koryk)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Hey all.

So- I’ve finally been convinced to join this forum. Part from a good friend who convinced me that I should be part of the online community itself (Thanks NS), part as a follow up on a great opportunity I’ve had.

As “Bigshow” on here can attest to, I’ve ridden at least two dozen boards in my time surfing. I’ve ridden Inland Surfers, Calibrated, Phase 5, Walker Project, Triple XXX, Walzer, Shred Stixx, a handful of homemade boards, and others. Despite this, none of the boards had really hit me as a perfect board- though a few were definitely solid boards. I now have a definite respect for Walker boards and also an appreciation for Triple XXX boards as being a new entry to the skim board field.

During Nationals in Columbus, Ohio, I was talking about how much I needed to find a board that fit me and would help me progress to the next level. I had decided that I needed to purchase a board, though I was still frustrated by a lack of “perfect board” for me. As fate would have it, I ended up winning a Smed “Wombat” board at Nationals… and I went home with a cool-looking surf-style board from a maker I had never even heard of. I wasn’t overly confident this would be any better than any of the previous boards.

I was out with Mr. “BigShow” the first time I tried the board… and I can’t explain how excellent this board rides. If anyone out there is looking for an amazing surf-style board, I have to recommend you try this board before you purchase. If you are in the mid-Ohio area, send me an email- I’ll be happy to let you demo the board I have for a weekend. The board is very fast and solid in the water, and the quad-fin setup allows for a lot of customization to meet any riding style. Anyone I ride with knows that I’ve progressed a lot in the past few weeks… and this board is probably the single greatest reason why. In short- the board has a significant and positive impact in my confidence as a rider, and that makes an immense difference.

I wanted to write this here for two reasons. First, I am immensely excited about this board and the potential of future boards from Smed Boards, and I wanted to share that with others. Second, this was a prize board and I wanted to publicly thank Matt Smedley of Smed Surfboards for giving me the opportunity to ride a board this awesome. I know the guy works hard on these boards, and giving away free product is always a gamble for any company. The board makers that are supporting these tournament events are putting their capital on the line in a hope that giving us surfers some free product will help grow their business. I hope that anyone getting ready to purchase a new board considers the importance of board manufactures like Smed… Walker Project, Phase 5, Triple XXX, and others… that support these events that are helping grow the sport we all love so much.

Thanks again, Matt, for helping me get my surfing to the next level.
Thanks to Jeff Walker for securing and effectively distributing these prize boards to events- your involvement is so critical.

…and my apologies for all of those that read this after having to listen to me talk up this board all weekend at Worlds. :-)

- KK
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-08-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
Kory, Welcome to the forum! Your new board certainly suits you well. If you go the the 2009 TWC I bet you'll meet Matt.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
Nice. Welcome. Good writeup.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-09-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
Hey Kory,

Wow! I'm speechless! You definitely made my day!

Each rider likes different things in a board -- the search for the "perfect board" is a journey more than a destination -- that is part of what makes surfing so great.

Anyway, I'm really stoked you are fired up on my Wombat! Hope to meet you at one of the events sometime!
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-09-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
Have always heard great things about Smed boards. I lived right down the lake from him and haven't gotten a chance to ride one of his boards yet. I'll be making a trip thru Texas soon and will be sure to visit the Smed factory for a demo ride!

Great write up and kudos to Matt!

(Message edited by DS3 on September 09, 2008)
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-09-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
Its NS writing under CS duckdiver! Welcome aboard the big ship of commentary...this is right up your ally! Enjoyed the post. Look forward to riding the wombat this Saturday...see you on the river!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-09-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
How many of us are riding us O’Shaughnessy this Saturday? Maybe we’ll set up a goofy and regular boat.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Hey Smed - what do your boards run - price wise that is. I have been looking into (been riding a Custom Thruster and Obrien) a Phase 5 or the new Ronix dove tail, but have heard some great things on your custom builds!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-10-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Hey TQ

pricing ranges from about $500 to $700 depending on what you want to do (graphics, traction, fin setup, etc.) PM me and we can talk details if you want.