Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            07-19-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
Shred Stixx's new epoxy lineup has some wicked color options:

http://www.shredstixx.com/boards.htm

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-19-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
New Epoxy Line up - How different are these boards?
Old    surfdad            07-19-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hey Ed, the shapes are all the same, just the construction materials. I can't swear to it, but IMO everything else being the same, epoxy over EPS feels faster down-the-line to me than Poly...plus the epoxy is supposed to be much stronger than Poly.

I'm hoping to get my hands on one of these boards, from Jerry, to review in the next few weeks.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-19-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Ed, Jeff;
I have one of Jerry's new epoxy Ja Mako's. It's rippin fast, and very responsive. Bottom line..I love it! I have almost a full quiver of shred Stixx now. Everything from a 5 year old "Original Stixx" to a custom "Chase Hazen Signature Board".5 different boards in all. For me, the Ja Mako is my new favorite. Another cool thing about the epoxy boards is how the graphics seem to just jump out at you. The Shred Stixx logo is so clear, it's amazing.
I'll be in Tahoe this weekend doing a swim across the lake relay, but next time your in the neighborhood, call me up, and your more than welcome to try it out for yourself.
Or perhaps on Aug. 5th ??
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       07-20-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Ed,
In answer to your question:
Last year when Clark Foam went out of buisness, it brought the surfing industry to a temporary screeching halt. Turns out, it was the best thing that has happened to the surfing world since boards went from Balsa wood core to foam core. Everybody went back to the drawing board and started trying other options.
Last year all the Stixx were a styro/epoxy combo. Ultra light, 5.5 lbs with traction and fins and strong, But, out of approx 2000 that went out, 5 came back due to bubbled decks form places like AZ. due to extreme heat. This was because the new styro blanks had moisture in them and would expand under the very high heat.
So ,back to the drawing board. Without giving too much away, the problem has been solved. As well as adding colors, they are a little stiffer but flex just enough to give them more "pop" off the lip for "air" and drive out of bottom turns. This is the "faster down the line" Jeff mentioned in his thread.
The new materials also allowed us to keep the rails a bit harder where desired, for speed and they are more buoyant, also giving the board more speed. Thou 6 oz heavier than 06 they are still 12 oz lighter than the poly Stixx 0f 07, tot. 6 lbs 4 oz with traction and fins. As soon as we figure out who to make them lighter, WE WILL, For lighter will always be better around here. Hope this answers your questions.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-20-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Greg, you're a bit out of my way, I'll wait for Jeff's report. A Stixx JaMako or a WP is on next years Christmas list.

Jerry, my work generally involves technology refreshment. I love to hear stories like this. It's a real, necessity is the mother of invention thing, very cool.
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
I have the thresher shredder and i got it in red with the ja mako pads its a sweet boardUpload
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       07-24-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
Hay Alec,
Did you see the pic Vince posted of you from yesterday. I told you 3 fins were starting to make an appearance. You'll have air very soon.
Keep Charging little Buddy.!!!
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-24-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Hah ya i did thanks Jerry! Im gona try even harder next time i want to place in the wakesurfing competition
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       07-27-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Keep up the good practice sessions Alec and you will have a good chance to place. Keep bugg'in your dad to get off the ranch and go to the lake!!
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
hah ya i always am! Were going on my dads friends houseboat next week so ill get some good practice there! Are you going to be at the contest on the 5th?