Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-22-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
I wakesurf, but never have surfed. I'm wondering what the differences are in controlling the board.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
Controlling the board is is almost the same as surfing. I wakesurf pretty much how I surf. You shift your weight from front to back and side to side just like in surfing to speed up or slow down. Wakesurfing reminds me of surfing a small beach break. It doesn't even compare to head high + days. You are fairly limited to wake size and tricks while wakesurfing. Surfing you have endless possibilities depending on wave size and skill. The main difference for me is that a real wave will push you along where a boat wake takes a little more work to keep up with.
Board More/ Work Less
J$

(Message edited by surfnfury65 on April 24, 2005)
Old    skikirkwood            04-25-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
The hugest difference isn't the feel, I surfed for 8 years before I tried wakesurfing and wakesurfing felt completely natural. The biggest difference is having the actually catch the wave as opposed to having it right there all the time. Regular surfing takes years of practice to get good wave judgement, to know where to catch the wave, how to read the tides, how to read the reef, and the other surfers around you. Wakesurfing takes way more leg strength, because in ocean surfing it's rare you'll get a ride longer than 20-30 seconds at a point break, 10-15 at a beach break. But yeah, the board control is pretty much the same, as as long as you're on a comparable shape (a 12ft longboard will not steer like your 4'8" wakesurfer).
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-25-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
go Jordan! hahaha
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-26-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
Ditto what Jordan said. Wave selection, take off location, paddling and getting into the wave technique makes surfing much harder but more rewarding. I'm new to Wakesurfing and it's really fun but not in the same league as dropping in on an overhead wave.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-26-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
Right on Jordan...let me know where your secret spot is that has 10-15 second ridable beach break waves.
Old    skikirkwood            04-26-2005, 5:52 PM Reply   
10-15 seconds if you count really really fast. I've had some sessions at a little spot on the south side of santa cruz (i'll give you a hint, it's between beer can and sunset ), and when the sandbar builds up nicely you can get solid rides comparable to the point. reservations or moss landing can get that way too a few days out of the year, but then you gotta drive a lot more.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-26-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
Thanks bro, El Porto down in LA County hardly ever gives good long rides....although the waves have been descent because the sandbars have built up with all the rain this winter.