Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-19-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
My first hand made surf-style just entered the booth.... Stoked
Attached Images

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
Twinzer box layout
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
Looks good! whos building it?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
Nick Scott from Brigade, going in for paint today. I dont usually ride surf so I am excited to switch styles this summer.... Just have to get a surf style wave dialed in asap!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-20-2013, 11:40 AM Reply   
Looks like another soulcraft copy. Not trying to be mean but facts are facts
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Looks like another soulcraft copy. Not trying to be mean but facts are facts
About as credible as a comment as "folks with malibu tips on a centurion are copy cats"....both kinda silly comments if you ask me. Someone must have not got the Darwin memo
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
Who has experience with Futures Yu fins? I went with quad fins so i could run either the larger fins, or the smaller ones for my twinz.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
Wakedirt Ive never tried the yu's but I have tried the Josh Mulcoys are so much fun. By far my favorite fins I've used to date. I have some elvons in my possession right now. It'll be interesting to see how those fare. I also recommend getting a pair of the von sol nubsters. They make your board break loose almost like twinzers but more functional in my opinion. Congrats on your new board let us know how it rides.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
Who has experience with Futures Yu fins? I went with quad fins so i could run either the larger fins, or the smaller ones for my twinz.
Is your board going to be a quad or a twinzer set-up?
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-20-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
Compared to my new soulcraft the only thing they share is the fangtail, and even thats a little different. If you still accepting fin opinions I dig the v2 f4 black stixx with a twinzer setup.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Twinzer, but i went with the yus so i would have a set of larger fins, and a set of smaller if I wanted a more loose tail. My nubs will be futures also.

-22v, I I will be interested in how you like the other fins for your board, I will definitely be experimenting with different combos this summer for sure. What size are the elvons? Are you running a twinzer or a thruster?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
-Ben, I was very very close to going with the F4s, if i need more drive I will be going with a 14.22 or similar for more bite. I have been on a calibrated with a single fin for 2yrs so having a loose tail is an understatement on that thing.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   

This is my set-up I generally don't run all five fins at once I switch it up from thrusters to quad. I will try out all four elvon fins at once and also try it with the von sol fins. They are the small size. I had no idea the elvon's had a foil unroll I got them. It'll be interesting to see how they feel. My eyes don't take a liking to them but if they ride good then that's all that matters.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
22, do you run a pretty steep wake?
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2013, 3:50 PM Reply   
It can be pretty steep at times depending how the ballast is set-up and which side I'm surfing. Those Al Merrick fins you see are quite large. I do the finatics so if I don't like the fins I just send them back. I bet those yu's will be fun they are smaller so should make the board really loose and playful with plenty of drive. I bet they are similar to the Josh Mulcoy's.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2013, 4:06 PM Reply   
Pic of my wave
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
Ya the Yus will atleast let me see if I want to go with a bigger fin. The ones you're running are like a 16.16...A lot larger than where I will start experimenting, but who knows may end up with a larger set similar to he AMs.

-These caught my eye also http://waveriderssurfshop.com/site/i...art&Itemid=626
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Getting tapped off
Attached Images

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
Matchin my MB
Attached Images

Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-21-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
looks good!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-21-2013, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
It can be pretty steep at times depending how the ballast is set-up and which side I'm surfing. Those Al Merrick fins you see are quite large. I do the finatics so if I don't like the fins I just send them back. I bet those yu's will be fun they are smaller so should make the board really loose and playful with plenty of drive. I bet they are similar to the Josh Mulcoy's.

what is finatics?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-21-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
Fin testing program through surfboardwarehouse.com
Basically Netflix for fins, I will look into it if I dont end up finding a good combo with my Yus

Last edited by WakeDirt; 02-21-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-21-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
Exactly what wakedirt said John. Ive been on it about six months. I plan on testing out about five more sets before purchasing my own. Hows that new Sc John? Do you like it more than your Flyboy?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-21-2013, 2:58 PM Reply   
well ive only ridin it once so its hard to say. its not as fast or turns as quickly as the flyboy but it handles the steep waves better.... doesnt want to pearl. anxious to get some time on it. we need to go ride.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-21-2013, 3:13 PM Reply   
We definitely need to go ride its getting close to hosting season getting the itch big time.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-21-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
waffle cut turf? what makes it new?
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-22-2013, 2:14 AM Reply   
That board is BAD ASS!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-14-2013, 9:02 PM Reply   
My Futures Yus finally came in, gunna have my new stick next week, now all I have to do is figure out what trac pad option. Super stoked for some spring sessions!!!
Attached Images

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-22-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Cha ching! Headed to lake Mendocino Sunday to try out the new shredda and trac pad, 22v I will keep you updated on the larger Yus, I also have the F4s and the smaller yus. Im going to start large and reduce in size if I want a more loose feel. Surfs up!!
Attached Images

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-22-2013, 2:52 PM Reply   
Nice lookin' board! It's got to feel that much better knowing it's made from your time and efforts. Post some pics of you tearing it up on it when you get the chance!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-24-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
-Got to ride the new .352, and am blown away. Took me a bit to get used to riding an avtual surfboard (usually ride skim). All I can say is wow, what a great experience! Love this board
-Also got to try out my little make-shift NSS. I had a chance to really play around with weighting and locations today, and ran ran more bow weight than usual and really liked the final product.
-Sorry for the very "blah" surfing pics, I only had my gro-pro on a time interval and nobody to take pics. *Just me and driver.
Attached Images

Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-24-2013, 9:46 PM Reply   
Wakedirt do you have pictures of your make shift nss?
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-24-2013, 10:05 PM Reply   
How did you weight it? Did you still have more weight on the port vs starboard?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-24-2013, 10:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
How did you weight it? Did you still have more weight on the port vs starboard?
Well I have been a bit OCD with weighting as of late. I came to the conclusion that I wasn't putting enough weight in each "test" section where I was adjusting and trying different configs.
-So today's weight with just me and my girlfriend is as fallows:
Port- 1000 Stock hard tank, 240 in static weight in farthest rear port corner, about 500 in a 1100 bag (notfull).
Starboard- 300ish lbs in hard tank
Bow- 500 hard tank and a 400lb sac. 900 total is more than usual, but the boat loved it, and am not a fan of running exterior bags, but we usually run with 6 plus people, so the bag was no biggy when just me and my lady were on the lake.
-This gets me right to the rub rail on the back. I will have less weight when we roll with our normal 6+ person crew.
- I did notice just a tiny bit of the deck still dragging, so once I add my .5" to the deck, I think I will be good. I'm currently 1.5" higher than stock deck height.
-The tab did seem to help the wave's cleanliness. I switched riding style today so I was more distracted with the new board than really messing with different weight setups, I am happy with what I have and had great push.
-One thing that I did notice is the the wave is now CLEANER, so I may be leaning toward NO wakeplate this summer, my lttle Hobo Tab may be what cleaned up the wake! More people in the boat with some more testing will be the answer!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-24-2013, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wakedirt do you have pictures of your make shift nss?
Here is a snap shot, * I know that it is a lot more "clean" looking than the actual NSS.

I agree it is an eye sore, but I figured all I would have is a small hole in my deck mount in the end. A final product will be more clean looking. (I hope)

I did not mess around with more or less tab effect on the wake today, I just set it at 1.5" and left it for the day.

-Its a 12" section of 3/4" threaded rod.
A bolt with lock washer on each end of deck. Fully adjustable
1.5" Wood with Plasti Dip
I attached the wood to the rod with some u bolts

-A final tab will be 2 pieces of 3/4" black plastic that is similar in shape, but I will have it closter to the hull and be a little bit cleaner looking.
Attached Images

Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-25-2013, 7:20 AM Reply   
I like it and I think it's clean.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-25-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Ya I think its a testament to plastidip, that stuff actually holds up pretty damn good. The rear transom has some odd shapes and slopes in it for reinforcement, therefore Wood was the easiest test material. But some plastic and exact measurements will be in the future. Spray isnt a factor off of it, so next time I will go to 2" maybe 2.5 tab effect because it is a shorter tab than an actual NSS.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-25-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
About as credible as a comment as "folks with malibu tips on a centurion are copy cats"....both kinda silly comments if you ask me. Someone must have not got the Darwin memo
LMFAOROTF!!!

That board looks awesome!! I like it!! Good job!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-25-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Lionel, I have also been looking into the option of surf tabs similar to yours, I could have something like that mount easier than sideways tabs like a surfgate. But I think a single center wakeplate is my next venture if my hobo tab is a fluke....
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-25-2013, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramat View Post
LMFAOROTF!!!

That board looks awesome!! I like it!! Good job!
-Ya I couldnt be more happy with it. Now all I have to do is get better at surfing! Let this board's potential out! It's like a caged beast ha ha. The W-Step traction is where its at, I want to add it to my Piscus, it would be a perfect fit for any skim.
-Duara, are you going to the West Coast Open? If so, you're surely welcomed to ride it if you'd like.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-25-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
I would so take you up on your offer! Never turn down a chance to ride a board, especially something as sexy as that one! Maybe one day I'll make it out there and take you up on your offer

You've inspired me to think about trying make one now LOL My delima is time, I hardly have enuff as is

AGAIN, she's a beaut!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-25-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramat View Post
I would so take you up on your offer! Never turn down a chance to ride a board, especially something as sexy as that one! Maybe one day I'll make it out there and take you up on your offer

You've inspired me to think about trying make one now LOL My delima is time, I hardly have enuff as is

AGAIN, she's a beaut!
-Well I didn't make the board, Nick Scott from Brigade Wakesurfing made it. I have zero talent and zero artistic ability ha ha
-Its a .352 Special. I did pick out the kick hips, colors, graphics layout and traction pad though
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-26-2013, 8:26 PM Reply   
Still a tinsy bit of deck dragging, Next time out I'llhave it up another .5"
Attached Images

Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-26-2013, 8:38 PM Reply   
Wake, I have part #'s if you need them. Having said that you can find some pretty good Lenco deals on ebay. Took a V226 out today riding a Soulcraft Fangtail. Wow!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-26-2013, 8:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wake, I have part #'s if you need them. Having said that you can find some pretty good Lenco deals on ebay. Took a V226 out today riding a Soulcraft Fangtail. Wow!
-Is your setup all Lenco? It looks like you cut the 12x9s at the edges? Ya I would def appreciate the #s! I have major issues with the PMs on WW.
-I was just at my local dealer Hillside Honda in Lakeport CA, looking at a Enzo 230 and a gun metal flake 226, both crazy sick boats and a great dealership. Im getting the bug...uh oh!
-My friend has a 12 226, and the wave is great, Its just that there are like 4 226s at my tiny local lake, and wanna standout *if you cant tell by my neon green and purple MB ha ha
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-26-2013, 9:23 PM Reply   
Dirt, there's been some on centurion crew that have recently bought from them with rave reviews in their dealings. Also some have just bought some new Enzo's and have some excellent info on ordering. The new Enzo's are pretty cherry, I enjoyed checking out the one that pulled at worlds at our Boatshow. Legit
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-26-2013, 9:30 PM Reply   
Wake, we did the MC 2nd generation surf tabs on a 09 X-Star. All MC parts, special MC tabs with the cut. More $$$ but I do have part #'s if you want to go that route..

How are they setting up the 226's for surfing?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-26-2013, 9:42 PM Reply   
I like how the MCs have a separate location for the cord to go through, i also like how the plates seem more low pro where they mount to the transom. Ya if you could pm those #s tjat would be cool.

Surf we are running just a 1100 in the surf locker on the 226, with 6 peeps its perfect
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-26-2013, 9:46 PM Reply   
I like how the MC tabs have a separate location for the cord to go, i also like how they seem more low pro where they mount to the transom. PM the #s and price would be great, how is the switch setup?

On the 226 we go center full, port full amd a 1100 in the locker, add 6 peeps and its amazing
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-27-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
Yup - full center, full port, and 1100 and BAM! Some lead or another bag if you really want to see what the two2six can do! Thanks Wakedirt, it was my pleasure - let me know when your ready to ride . . . . . . .
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-27-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
Dirt, what day are u gettin to the WCO? Harold and I and our familia are coming down Wed- Mon. Are you camping along the shore line?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-27-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Dirt, what day are u gettin to the WCO? Harold and I and our familia are coming down Wed- Mon. Are you camping along the shore line?
Rolling over on Fri Morn, I have never actually been to CFW, so I dont know where we are camping, I'll have to ask my buddy where he is getting the sites. I dont think you can get sites till early april right?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-28-2013, 12:05 AM Reply   
What speed on the 226?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
Dirt, the entire cove is reserved for the event. There are no hook ups so you will need a gen. Unless you stay at the camp ground sites, but they are not next to the event. Camping along the lake is primitive, but way more fun, you will have a front row seat to watch the comp, and its right in the mix with all the rest of us. You will see what I mean when you get there. Totally stoked! this event is so much fun! Go to wake9 web site and check the pics from last year, and it will give you an idea of what to expect. Are you in a RV or a tent? Another plus side is, we leave my boat in the water right in front of our RV's, so its easily accesible for those spur of the moment surf sessions!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
I'll post a couple pics when I get home today of the shore line camping area
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-28-2013, 5:02 PM Reply   
I would be in a tent, are you allowed to have a campfire at the primitive sites?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
Yes you can, heres a couple pics, one looking out from shore and the other looking down. I stayed in a tent 2 years ago 10ft from shore, it was pretty cool.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-28-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
Yep you can have a camp fire Camp far west is a awesome place for the event. Here are a couple pics from last year
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2013, 6:40 PM Reply   
here’s the pics
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2013, 6:41 PM Reply   
nice pics H!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-28-2013, 7:04 PM Reply   
The pic of all the slammed boats right next to camp is badass, I cant wait! Do you have to call and reserve for primitive?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
The yellow Avy is mine, it rides pretty low, we also had 7 adults and two kids total that with it slammed like that. And no, its open camping, you pay when you arrive and let them know your with the event, and your on your way in to pick a spot along the shore line!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-28-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
Nice, i bet it puts off a great wave, i have always liked centurions, been looking at them again as my next boat. Thanks for all the info on cfw, its gunna be a great weekend for sure.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
No problem! Looking forward to gettin back to Cali! And CFW!
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
OOOoooohhhhhhhh - I love the photos that brings me back and super pumped for this year! You can see the haulers and the two2six in the bottom photo - can't wait. My daughters first WCO - she'll be almost 10 months old by then. Can't wait - got a few Stretch Boards coming in - my new v226 - stoked!
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2013, 11:51 AM Reply   
Phone photo of two of our 226's launching from shore last year.
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
Thats a great pic too!! ^^^^^^
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-29-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
No problem! Looking forward to gettin back to Cali! And CFW!
So it's safe to say at some point on the trek south you play Notorious Big "Going back to Cali" at least once....right?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
Always on my play list!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-01-2013, 6:19 PM Reply   
So who is the google earth pro that can put pins showing where:
1: Event's cove is
2: Primitive camping is
3: Regular sites are with showers restrooms.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-01-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
H ..... Royalties? LOL!!

The Event is by Far and Large the Funnest Wake Surf Event going ....... the camping together and the ability for everyone to ride sets this far apart and above the rest ....... doesn't seem to work in any of the other Events I have been to!!

Robert and his Family and California Marine Sports are the Hosts of Hosts!!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-02-2013, 1:38 PM Reply   
Sorry Dirt, thats not me, maybe Surfdad can do it, he's good at that stuff, Ragboy prob would do it, but he's prob way to busy gettin ready for summer! Frankwo, I haven't got any royalties out of my pic, but when I do, you will be the first to get a check!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-04-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
How far is the distance/commute from the formal sites, to the primitive sites/event area?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-04-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
Here is the map of the site.
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-04-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Dennish
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-04-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks Dennish
^^^Ditto
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-05-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Dirt, the water will prob be all the way up by june, you can see how far its down, it almost reaches the red dirt road by the contest site.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-05-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
We use this lake because it is always full to start the year. The lake will be a capacity for the contest.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-09-2013, 9:41 PM Reply   
Well I had every intention of demoing/selling this board this summer... Nope, keepin it! Guess I have to get another one in the hopper before WCO! Round 2
Attached Images

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-25-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
. 352
Attached Images