Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (millsryno)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
I used to do a lot of slalom skiing 15 years and 60 pounds ago...I'd like to learn to wakeboard. I'm a beginner and weigh between 240-250 lbs. I've been doing a bunch of research online and keep thinking the CWB Sol 141 would be a good board for me. What would you guys recommend? Older models are good to recommend as well because I think I am looking for a good used board on CL and ebay. I figure if I have a list of a few different ones that would be good for me, eventually I can find one at a decent price. I cannot afford a new one with the way the economy is...

I'm mostly interested in a board for me, but wouldn't mind one that is going to work good for other beginners in my boat who will most likely be in the 180-240 pound range.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-23-2010, 7:18 PM Reply   
If I was looking in your situation I would look for something a little bigger than a 141. Try looking for a Liquid Force Witness 144 or anything in the 143 to 147 range. I do not know exactly what price range you are looking for but you may be able to get a new 08 or maybe even 09 really cheap right now.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-23-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
Man, check www.boardersbestbuy.com for their daily deals/steals. when you see a board longer than 140cm, go do quick research to see the specs (rocker, weight limits, etc...)

As a first board you will not necessarily care if its 3-stage, continuous, or a hybrid of the 2. Just find one that will float you for as cheap as possible. (my first set-up was $300 new, 3-stage board with flexible open toe bindings... now I have a continuous rocker with closed toe stiff boots. I did not matter what I was riding when I was first learning

Also, do not let the label of Rider Level: "beginner-intermediate" or "advanced" sway you, most "advanced/pro models" later become "entry level boards/beginner" with new graphics for half the price.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-23-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
Check out the Hyperlite State 145
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-23-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
+1 state 145
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2010, 11:02 PM Reply   
hyperlite marek 146
lf trip 146
cwb kink 146

(no particular order)

OR---> go with Sine Wakeboards and get one made Just FOR YOU with your specified... well everything. (though this might be out of you budget and might seem "extreme" its worth mentioning for you or anyone else reading)

http://sinewakeboards.com/demo.html
http://sinewakeboards.com/boards-black-series.html

(Message edited by wakerider111 on January 23, 2010)
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-24-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
Go with the LF trip 146 great board and u can progress with it as well. Very forgiving
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-24-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
+1 for the trip! I am 6'5 240 and ride a trip 143. Great board!!
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-24-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
I was just on ebay and they have a trip 146 brand new for $119. That is a pretty good deal. You wont be dissappointed with it at all.
Old     (millsryno)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-24-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Guys,

Yeah, I saw the trip on Ebay, too for $119. Is there anything in particular a bigger guy should look for in bindings? Any recommendation on some entry level ones?
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-24-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Also look on ebay . You can find blems & last year boards in the 100-150 range with free shipping. also look at Craigslist.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-24-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
yeah, boots... at the very least, you better go try on a pair from a few different companies. That way you will know what size you are in LF, HL, ronix, cwb....etc.

Then you can go find a deal on '09's online somewhere and be confident they will fit.

IMO, the boots are the most important piece of equipment... well right behind a vest... and a boat of some sort... but you get my point.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-24-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
I have a size 12 foot and tried getting in some old hyperlite bindings and about drowned when I tried to get out of them. I would recommend getting some CWB hinged bindings. Really comfortable and easy to get out of. I have the factions and really like them. Super comfortable!
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-24-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
Bindings is all about preference...I have ridden a bunch of bindings....the ones i LOVED were the 09 Murrays...but I can't find em anymore...so my second choice was the LF shanes...you can get the 09s in Open toe or closed toe...but thats my opinion....if you have a local shop go try on bindings and make the decision there....they will prolly be more than happy to help ya out