Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-08-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
I am interested in replacing my Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" with a bigger board. I am 260lbs & can ride without the rope only every once in a while on my broadcast. I want something that is easier to ride so I don't have to sack my boat out to much. I have a 2003 Centurion Hurricane & usually just run 500lbs in the rear locker as well as the center ballast.

I see the Phase 5 Oogle or Island Surf red tide should support my weight. Which is the better of the two or do I have any other choices. I just want to surf behind the boat & cruise, maybe some slashing & that's it.
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-08-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
don't buy a hyperlite- they all suck from my experience, i would try a shredstixx
www.shredstixx.com
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-08-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
At your size I would recommend a Shredstixx. I am 6' 195# and mostly ride the Shrestixx 5'10". I am actually going to step down in size. The board is a little big for me. A good guy to talk to is Jeff Walker.( Hope you don't mind Jeff) He has tested about every different wakesurf board out there. He has tons of posts on here with good info.
Late$
J
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-08-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Hey Carl,
I am about your weight and I have ridden many different boards. I have had the best success in almost all wake sizes with a custom 6'2" board I had made. That being said I have ridden boards as small as the 4'11" ShredStixx JaMako, The Red Tide, The Blue Lake and the ShredStixx 5'8" Stixxextreme. All of which work for me depending on the wake. A smaller wake will require a bigger board. If you just want to cruise even a used ocean surfboard will work. The problem with longer boards is you end up riding on the boat all the time. If you can demo any boards then that is the best way to see what works for you.
Old    surfdad            08-10-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Dennis, would you be referring to the lifeguard board?

Give Chip at Stripes a call, his website is:

http://www.stripessurf.com

They have a longboard that looks like it would be fun for you big folks. I want to get you up on that board also Dennis.

Upload
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-10-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
I ended up ordering a Red Tide, I spoke with Jeff @ Inland Surf. He was awesome to deal with so I ordered one on the spot. I can't wait for it to come in, I will be sure to report back with my feedback.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Yes Jeff that custom board would be the now famous lifeguard board. Maybe we could check them out when we are in Oceanside. Would have to find a boat I think.
Old     (christopher)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
I see you have gone with the red tide... Very good choice I got mine and i'm about your weight and i love it... i couldn't stop riding it the first time out... within 5 minutes on the board i was able to toss the rope and ride just fine... my brother has the phase five oogle and I can't even come close to surfing it... I don't think its rated correctly... its much smaller than the red tide...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-15-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Carl, I bet the Red will be a good choice for you. I have an 04 Lightning - same hull as your Hurricane. One guy on my crew is about your size and surfs the starboard side. He rarely free rides with my Broadcast 5.6, but he has begun to free ride on the Red Tide.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-15-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
I am hoping the Red will be here tomorrow so I can get out in the water.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-17-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
I got the board today but unfortunately when I took it out of the box I noticed it is damaged on the tail end from shipping. It is a small cut into the board, cracked the outer shell. I am sure it is an easy repair but it still sucks on a new board. The Inland guys are at Boardstock & I don't know if I should use this board or not. This sucks, it took a week to get here & now I can't ride until I talk to them.

Freaking Fed Ex, it was packed so well too. Half of me just wants to repair it so I can ride it but then resale will probably be a problem if I sell it later on down the line.

(Message edited by mainelaker on August 17, 2006)