Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-06-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
So I was in Destin, Fl last weekend attempting my first try at skim boarding when I landed on the board and rolled my ankle. When I tried to stand up my foot was just hanging there. Turns out I have a trimallelaor ankle fracture. Well I had surgery on Wednesday and looks like I will not be able to even put weight on it for the next six weeks. Does anybody have any advice on some things I could do while I am laid up? I already miss being out on the boat.

Oh and if you ever get the chance to skim board, skip on it. The guys in the ER I went too said that they see more injuries from it than anything else, and while I was in there two more guys came in from it also. Sorry I just had to vent.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
ps2 man, and pills, and food, maybe a book, but it's easier to play ps2 on pills than it is to read.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
You were in my town and didn't call me?! Some friend you guys are! That sucks though. Where did ya stay? You weren't by chance the j@$$ a$$ that cut me off on hwy98 Friday, or Saturday, or even Sunday.. Man I hate that guy! HA gotta love tourists!
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-06-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
We were staying at the Sun Destin condos. We didnt leave the condo except on our way to eat at night and to the Hospital on Sunday HA HA!!! So I don't think it was us that cut you off. Paul were do you guys ride down there?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-06-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
that sucks man..i broken my metacarple on my left little finger and i had to have surgery as well on wednesday and the doc said nothing for 8-10 weeks so i know how you feel! it really sucks! oh well at least wakeboarding is a 12 month sport in florida!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
Across the Midbay Bridge.. well across the bay really, there are bayous to ride in. That really sucks about the ankle though, i've never had a good time on a skim board.
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-06-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
Yeah I wasn't even having that good of time either. I should have stoped while I was ahead. Good Luck with your surgery on Wednesday Matt.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-06-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Dude... I did the same thing at Orange Beach, AL 5 years ago. I have a strap and six screws in my ankle from the ordeal. Haven't been on a skim board since. Those things aren't meant for folks over 20.. especially over 30 like myself!!! However, my 11yr old really kills it on one! I broke my ankle after lunch, had surgery that night in Foley, AL, and was back on the beach (in a chair) checking out the eye candy by lunch the next day.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-06-2006, 11:11 PM Reply   
Jeremy: i had surgery last wednesday..its fine..it just sucks..i can't believe how hard life is with 1 hand! typing is the worst!
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-08-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
Jeremy, You and me both. Here's my X-ray from last Friday, the break occurred June 24th while doing an ollie on a wakeskate.

Got pain?
Upload
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-08-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
Bro I was in a cast for 6 months when I broke my ankle racing my dirt bike (2 Yrs ago) . I went to the gym on my crutches and worked out my upper body. Other than that I beat the SOCOM series and Splinter Cell on PS2 plus got really good at Red Faction. I also did cross word puzzles.
Late$
J
Old     (liquidforce21i)      Join Date: May 2006       08-08-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
yeah bro mine just ended this past sunday...I did a tantrum over the double up and landed hard outside the wake...felt like i was landing on concrete...anyways torn LCL which is awesome considering this will be the 3rd surgery to the same knee(ACL and meniscus already done)
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
I love skim boarding, you old folks just need to toughen up thats all.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-08-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
Carson... talk it up while you can. Your time will come!
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-08-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
I liked skim boarding but it's not worth doing if it's going to take away from my wakeboard time. I much rather be wakeboarding!! Looks like I am not the only one who will have to wait till next year to board again. But I will be taking my boat out in a few weeks, I just can't stay off the water.
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Well if the lakes blown out or just has mad boat chop I go to the creek by my cabin and its really shallow and I skimboard there. Its not like the ocean where you can hit waves, just surface tricks but its fun.
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
oh man that sucks. sorry to hear that. and i have to agree with johnny ^^ go to the gym and work your upper body so when you heal you'll be in good shape for next season. and when your laid up and dont wanna leave your house...go on wake world and chat with your buddies.