Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    tutman            05-21-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
To all of you that ride on Mission Bay, check this out.

URGENT: THE CITY MANAGER IS PROPOSING BOAT LAUNCHING FEES FOR MISSION BAY WITH NO PUBLIC INPUT. THE OPERATIONAL

COSTS OF MISSION BAY ARE PAID 100% BY THE LEASE REVENUE FROM COMMERCIAL LEASES PLUS A LOT EXTRA THAT ALREADY

GOES INTO THE GENERAL FUND. THIS NEW TAX ON BOATERS WOULD BE MORE MONEY SENT TO THE GENERAL FUND AND A

DOUBLE TAX ON MISSION BAY. PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO ALL BOATERS YOU KNOW!

See the details below and contact your City Councilmember (see contact information at the end of this e-mail) before this can get any farther!

The City of San Diego currently has no fees associated with launching water vessels in Mission Bay. As part of the recommended Fiscal Year 2005 budget, the City Manager is proposing a comprehensive citywide fee package that includes creating a boat launching fee for the five City boat launching facilities on Mission Bay. The boat launching fees are described on page 11 of the report that can be viewed by clicking the following link:http://clerkdoc.sannet.gov/RightSite/getcontent/local.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09001451800af2da.

The proposed daily boat launching fee is $10, with an unlimited-use annual pass proposed for $100.

While boat launching fees are not new for California facilities, the City of San Diego has never had such fees at the Mission Bay facilities. The information will be presented to the San Diego Mayor and City Council for consideration on May 25.

Text of report on the website above:

1. Boat Launching Fees Background
The Park and Recreation Department currently operates and maintains five public boat launching
facilities: De Anza Cove, South Shores, Ski Beach, Dana Landing, Santa Clara Cove and a beach
launch facility at La Jolla Shores. Currently, there is no fee associated with the use of City boat launching facilities.

The construction and ongoing repair of these facilities has been funded largely by grant money
from the California Department of Boating and Waterways. While the agency allows local
jurisdictions to charge fees, it has established a $13 maximum for all fees related to boat
launching. Approximately two-thirds of California's launch ramp facilities use this option and charge a launch ramp fee. Of those facilities, the average launch fee is just under $8. When other fees such as parking and day-use are included, the average fees associated with boat launching is almost $10 per launch.

Recommendation
Establish a $10 Daily Boat Launching Fee and a $100 Annual Fee for unlimited use.
In order to implement the proposed fees, there would be a one time expense to install pay and
display machines that are required at each launch site to accommodate 24-hour launches where
allowed. Additionally, a minimum of one Park Ranger and one Permit Clerk would be needed for
enforcement, collection, monitoring, annual permit processing, customer service and public
information. A part-time Recreation Leader would be necessary for peak seasons to assist with the
machines and collection. These expenses were included in the pro forma that established the
projected net new revenue amount.

Summary
Current Boat Launching Fee: * None
Proposed Boat Launching Fees:
*Daily $10
*Annual (unlimited use) $100

Projected Net New Revenue to the General
Fund: $370,000

Councilman Scott Peters
202 C Street, MS #10A
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 236-6611
>From North County (858)484-3808
Fax: (619) 236-6999
E-Mail: ScottPeters@sandiego.gov

Councilmember Michael Zucchet
202 C Street, MS #10A
San Diego, CA 92101 Telephone: (619) 236-6622
Fax: (619) 236-6996
E-Mail: mzucchet@sandiego.gov

Deputy Mayor Toni Atkins
202 C Street, MS #10A
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 236-6633
Fax: (619) 595-1481
Email: toniatkins@sandiego.gov

Councilmember Charles L. Lewis, III
202 C Street, MS #10A
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 236-6644
Fax: (619) 236-7273
Email: cllewis@sandiego.gov

Councilman Brian Maienschein
202 C Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 236-6655
>From North County:
(858) 673-5304
Fax: (619) 238-0915
E-Mail: bmaienschein@sandiego.gov

Councilmember Donna Frye
202 "C" Street, MS #10A
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 236-6616
Fax: (619) 236-7329
E-mail: donnafrye@sandiego.gov

Councilmember Jim Madaffer
202 C Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone 619-236-6677
Fax: 619-238-1360
E-mail: jmadaffer@sandiego.gov

Ralph Inzunza
Councilmember Ralph Inzunza
City Administration
202 "C" Street, MS#10A
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 236-6688
Fax: (619) 231-7918
E-mail: rinzunza@sandiego.gov
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-21-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Those bastards!
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-21-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
I must say I hate launch fees but at the same time this might keep some of the bozos out of the bay. I wish they would segregate the jet skiiers like they used to. I've seen way to many rediculous events down there so who knows.. maybe it isn't so bad?
Old    tutman            05-21-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
I thought about that too (keeping the 'bozos' out), but it is a general purpose bay. The main bay gets blown out anyway in the middle of the day, and that's when the 'bozos' show up, so who cares. The 'bozos' aren't out early when the water is good. It's six of one, half dozen of another, so me paying more tips the scales, especially when the money won't even go back into the bay. If it did, I would buy dive gear .

I need to stop saying 'bozos' and trying to rhyme.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-21-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
It isn't going to keep anyone out of the bay. Where else is there to go? San V is a pay lake and it sucks, Carlsbad costs even more, San Diego bay is a possibility but not many people will go there, and the nearest lake other than San V is at least an hour away. It will keep a few people away for awhile but they will pay up eventually.

The city has NO MONEY, but I'd hate to see this go into effect. We will basically be paying for them to enforce it.

So great, another crappy place to ride where you have to pay. I guess it was only a matter of time.
Old    tutman            05-21-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
We will basically be paying for them to enforce it.

Another great point.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-21-2004, 11:54 PM Reply   
-One time expense to install pay and display machines = $50,000($10,000 per area) with $5,000 maintenance a year

-One Park Ranger = $40,000(with benefits and all)

-One Permit Clerk = $25,000(no benefits for hourly)

-Apart-time Recreation Leader for peak seasons to assist with the machines and collection = $10,000

SOOOOOO, first year costs will be $130,000 with my conservative numbers, and revenues are estimated at $370,000

Is the $240,000 a year really gonna make a difference to the general fund of San Diego, which is $814,400,000. The .029% increase to the annual general fund doesn’t seem like a bank breaker to me?????

Don't boat owners in SD pay enough in registration, maintenance and GAS. Dear lord!

Why not have a beach tax, $5 per day to put your towel down???? Where will it end? It's just too much, one of the great things about SD is how available and nice the beaches and bays are, fees just make it, well suck more.

THAT’S MY 2 CENTS!!!!