Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-03-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
This weekend I'm going to be looking at a 99 Sunsetter VLX. I know inboards and boats in general and what to look for. Is there anything specific I should keep an eye out for on this particular model or older Malibu's in general?

Are there any known issues on this boat from this model year? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Dustin
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Back then, I think they made a wakesetter without the diamond hull (better wakeboard wake; worse ski wake) and the sunsetter with the diamond hull (worse wakeboard wake; better ski wake). I would stay away from the diamond hull if wakeboarding is your priority.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-03-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
that year sunsetter has a sv23 wake hull so it will make a great wakeboard boat. the only real problem with that boat is the fuel sender. but it isnt that big of a deal. its a $25 fix
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-03-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Dustin,

What color is the 99? Does it have a tower on it? If it's blue and white, with a Skylon Tuna Tower on it, it was my first boat. Jason Vanick owned it after me, and piled a bunch of hours on it, but it was a great boat. Same hull as a pre 05 wakesetter by the way. If it is my old boat, I had zero issues with it.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       12-03-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
Shawn, I think you just described my boat! But mine came from a guy in SoCal.

Dustin, we bought our '99 Sunsetter VLX back in '02 and it had only 60 hours on it from the original owner.

With the exception of a new steering cable 2 years ago, its only been normal maintenance. The boat has run flawlessly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-03-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
If it has a wedge make sure the duct tape holding it to the boat is fresh.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-04-2007, 5:26 AM Reply   
Dave,

Mine looked just like that, but my tower was black.
Old     (lakeaustinrider)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-04-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Had mine since new (May '99). Very few issues. Over 1200 hrs of wakeboarding on the boat.

Upload