Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-03-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
Larry Mann with Trick Boardz sent two small blemish boards, a small Free Style and a Velocity blem (it was trimmed too narrow) for the Morse Lake Wakesurf Gathering two weekends ago. I ride one of Larry’s Mojo XL often. The Mojo XL is large, but compared to the two blem boards it’s freaking HUGE. The average weight of the Morse Lake Surfers was maybe 190 lbs, I weigh about 215 lbs, too much for these little boards, but what the heck I gave them a try at Morse Lake. The try was a short try because I was right; I’m just too heavy to ride these boards.

Well I took out the Velocity board again this evening. The first ride was about what I remembered at Morse Lake. On the second ride I tried moving my feet way forward, too far forward, I buried the nose. On the third ride it just clicked, I had my feet very far forward and we slowed the boat down to 8.8 mph on PP. I rode the board very close to the back of the boat, I fell back a few times but was able to pump my way back into the pocket, and when I rode up to the crest of the wake I did some lip slides. Once I figured it out it was a total blast riding this under sized board. At the slower speed this trimmed down Velocity board was very loose and just plain fun. At times I was riding the board completely under water, ankle to shin deep, and still recovered back into the pocket, is that cool or what!

There’s no way that I could have ridden this small board last year, maybe even two months ago I couldn’t have ridden it either. I’ve read on this forum several times that as your riding skills increase you can step down in board size, I think I’ve demonstrated that today. Here are a few picture of Mini Mojo.

Mojo Xl and The Velocity (Mini Mojo)
Upload
Ankle deep in the water - no problem
Upload
Upload

Upload
See I made it back in the pocket like I said no problem!
Upload

Can you see how far forward my feet are, I'm almost off the black foot pads and on to the blue.
Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-03-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
ed,

i am very new to wakesurfing and have really enjoyed a traditional fish style board (aka stripes) and the shorter "skim" style (walzer) behind a couple different weighted boats..

i have no problem with the either style...we ride the walzers behind my nautie 211 @ 12.3 to 12.8 mph (calibrated with 2 different gps units - in fact most of the time we are applying rear foot pressure to slow the walzers down)..

however when i tried my walzer behind a friends bu, i couldnt stay in the pocket if my life depended on it (the gals had no problem... this was a first for me).. it wasnt till not we slowed the bu down, i was able to do so (5'11 and semi muscled 190lbs')...

i agree with you that as our skill increases we can ride shoter boards but there are a couple more factors that come into play

-shorter boards have gotten alot better and generally speaking surfboards as a whole have gotten better as custom boards are now available vs the mass market boards(the walzer is a incredible skim style- no problem floating 230lbs- i've seen it..blows away the phase 5 imo)

-boat setup has become much better...

btw, as much as i like my walzer , i still enjoy a fish for a totally differnt ride depending how i feel...
Old    strait_trippin_wakesurfboards            10-05-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Caddywampin,
Where can I find one of these Walzer boards? I could not find them for sale on the internet.
I have been hearing they are phenominal. They are out of San Diego?
I have ridden the Phase 5 Oogle(largest) for two years, really loved it. Then I got the Prop(large), seemed like hard work keeping up with the boat I'm 220#.

Then I tried the Victoria, and in my mind it is a far superior board compared to the Phase 5. It rides like a Ferrari. And the 2 boards are very similarly shaped except that Victoria is almost completely flat(no rear rocker).

So now I really want one of these Walzer's
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
jim,

they are out of san diego.... they are just starting production... they surprised me with the first 1" production board(pretty privilged to get one...riding with sean & shannon might have had something do with it )

the walzers are very unique compared to the phase 5's (got lots of hours with the prop)... they are much lighter and float better and the fins are adjustable which makes a huge differnce (forward=faster), predictable, fast, and easy to stay with the wake... steve is 6'2" and is riding a 3/4" walzer no problem...

i would suggest contacting sean(caskimmer) for one..

here are some pics (sean and walzer really surprised me with the blue/grey board (aka cloud 9).... really good peeps..Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
coming up off a rail slide at powell on the walzer ..

Upload

(Message edited by clubmyke on October 05, 2006)