Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-27-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
I am trying to decide between the two boats. Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions on the pros and cons of each?
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-27-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
The X1 is a much better boat. The stock wake is better and the construction is very good for the money. IMO a better looking boat as well. Do not forget that this was once one of the top wakeboard boats around. Besides MC goes better with your name!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-27-2006, 10:57 PM Reply   
We made the decision between the two just awhile ago. After demoing the Malibu, we were thoroughly impressed, but the second we got into the Mastercraft we knew which was the better boat. Overall the interior and fit and finish of the MC was superior to the V-ride. If you go out and demo both you will see for yourself.

The only benefits to me of the V-Ride were the Illusion tower which I am a fan of as well as having a little bit more interior space, but in the end we ordered an X-1 and have been extremely satisfied with the product.

Fire away and specific questions you may have!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2006, 11:57 PM Reply   
I agree with wakeslife and Tom, I demoed both but as soon as I took a ride in the X1 I knew it had to be mine! The styling of the Vride just seemed outdated to me. The X1 has been around forever but they have tweeked and refined it every year kind of like a Porche IMO.
The vride did have several features I realy liked but the in the end I knew I would only be happy with the X1
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2006, 11:58 PM Reply   
"Do not forget that this was once one of the top wakeboard boats around."

Still is.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-28-2006, 5:19 AM Reply   
Wow, while it's still early, I thought for sure when I clicked on this thread I'd see the Umali "can of worms" picture and at LEAST one person (danny maybe) posting the mastercrap picture and talking about how MC is way overpriced.

Glad to see that we're all in agreement (so far). :-)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-28-2006, 5:27 AM Reply   
well this should be the same thread as the 02x-star/03 VLX thread. Both of the boats listed above are very similar to older x-star's and VLX. What was mentioned in the previous thread was that you can't go wrong with either and I agree. There are pros and cons to both, but IMHO, it is close, and I would go with dealer rep.
Old     (pink)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
ok well as a owner of an 05 vride i go with that and not to mention that when i rode behind a 06 xstar not x1 it felt like a ski wake and thats not something to be proude of
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-28-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Very different boat Matt. An X-star isn't an X1.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-28-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
Well first im not biased because i do not own either brand. I would lean towards the vride. To me space is an issue, you can seem to never have enough. I ride behind a 02 Xstar (06 X1) almost everyday and im not all that impressed with the wake. Its good but not great. A weighed down malibu seems to throw a bigger wake. Although the X1 stock ballast throws a better wake then a vride stock ballast. I like the interior of the bu better as well. The vride looks all flashy inside but seats are more mushy and when you sit on the seat the vinyl goes all wavey and looks loose. But I think you will be happy with either boat. Both are well built.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-28-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
We just bought an 05 V-ride and I love it. The wake is great. We got a huge wake with just a couple of people in the boat for surfing as well. We were looking at either MC or Malibu as well but this one came up and we are very happy
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-28-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
x1 if you can live with the size...
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
X1 was ruled out as a choice because of the size when I was shopping last. Being tall (6'5") I would hit my knees on the dash.....Something to think about....
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Matt,
ok well as a owner of an 05 vride i go with that and not to mention that when i rode behind a 06 xstar not x1 it felt like a ski wake and thats not something to be proude of

You have got to be friggin kidding me. How fast were you going on an 06 Xstar to think it was a slolom wake..45
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Oh, by the way.. I have owned both brands and they don't really compare..MC!
Old     (pink)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
a fully loaded 06 at about 21.5 the buywake boat to be spacific so its all a choise of brands and i dont like the way mc treats its buyers almost bought one but when i walked through the door ready to buy a mc i was wearing a beat up shirt and they looked at me like what the heck, walked through the bu dealer and they came up to me said can we help you sat down they offerd food and drikes and i walked out with a 05 vride 3 days later
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-28-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
Maybe the MC boys just couldn't understand you due to your lack of punctuation.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
OK so you bought a boat because they offered you food and drinks..Your a genius. I have a used 747 that I will sell you... I have cookies and milk. Want to buy it? I don't know who your MC dealer is, but it sounds like you need to be pampered. I love my MC dealer, but I do realize which one is the best boat. Hands down MC.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
by the way...What is a drike? And why did they offERD you one?
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-28-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
While bad spelling/grammer bothers me too, I can see Matt's point. I rarely wear anything besides shorts/jeans and a t-shirt when off work.

A friend of mine and I walked into a Nautique dealer last year. We had visited the dealer a week before and he was ready to buy a boat that day but the salesman was busy and told him to go to talk to the finance guy who was too busy to talk to him. After an hour we decided there was no way we were buying a boat from them. The next day I bought a Malibu and he did also a week later.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
Chad,
I do agree that people buy from people that they like. I hate walking into a car dealer where a new sales person is waiting on me. Everyone has to be new sometime, but why do they always have to wait on me? Anyway, I see your point and agree somewhat.. By the way, I looked at your profile and I think your boat looks awesome. The black and blue is sweet.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-28-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
So I can live without the space, the x-l is the better wake? What about resell?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-28-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
X1 wake is 2nd to none....IMO
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-28-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
You will not be dissapointed with the wake of the X-1. Stock ballast will get you up and running, and makes the wake plenty large, but when you're ready to add more weight the wake just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Also, for such a small boat, it throws a decent surfable port-side wave as well.

Mastercrafts hold their value extremely well. Take care of the boat and it will pay off when time to sell.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-28-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
I have been in and behind the X-1 (really an old X-2) and it is a great boat. It is a nice wake and has great seating. The boat is rough in the chop but overall it is a great boat. I have not been in or seen the Rides (V, XTi) from Malibu. Malibu make a great boat, I am looking at them as my next boat. But for what you are asking I know the X-1 is a great boat.

(Message edited by oaf on June 28, 2006)
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-29-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
Dealer dealer dealer. That's all that matters. If the same dealer were to sell MC AND Malibu? I'd choose MC. I've been in the Vride and it's a nice boat, but apples to apples, I feel like the MC is a better boat.

As long as we're telling dealer stories:
I couldn't get my Malibu dealer to even walk outside with me to show the boats, they sent a lot porter instead. My MC dealer owner was off the day I walked in and he happened to be there. He walked me outside and stayed around for over an hour talking to me and answering my 20,000 questions. Then he sold my boat on consignment, but let me keep my boat at my house on my lake. He drove customers over to my house, showed them the boat and ultimately sold it for me for 5%. Want more service? I chose not to buy a trailer because I live on the lake and don't want to pay the extra money for trailer storage so the dealer, BAY AREA WATERSPORTS in Tampa, lets me borrow a trailer whenever I need it. I repeat: dealer dealer dealer.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-29-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
I rode in the v-ride. I have looked at the x-l but not demoed it. I may do that today. How does the x-1 handle as compared to a direct drive?
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-29-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Having owned both boats in one shape or another. I prefer riding behind the X-1, no question. The V-ride will be a little bit bigger interior wise but that really only translates into one more person that can comfortably ride in the BU. Not that big of a deal.

It's personal opinion of what you like and don't like for sure. The X-1 and SANTE are really in a league of their own when it comes to the wake they produce.

I didn't respond to another post a while back about if you could weight the VLX to get the same wake as the X-1. If you think about that question, why don't you just buy an X-1. I've never heard anyone ask how to weight their X-1 so it's like the VLX or V-ride though.

X-1 hands down...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-29-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
Since X1 is a V-drive,it is really hard for it to maneuver as well as the DD but best handling v-drive IMO.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-29-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
best handling V-Drive is the Sanger V210 vithout a doubt. That does actually handle like a V-drive.
On the question of which boat. If you don't need the space definitely the X1 ..........unless the Mastercraft Dealer is as useless as on a bull
then buy a V210... then 3rd buy the Bu :-)

sorry couldn't resist
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
be a third on both boat for a day... it will be the best $60-$70 you will spend.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-30-2006, 1:25 AM Reply   
Go with the X1 (unless space is a big issue). Way better build quality, excellent wake, better aesthetics (Malibu's slippin!!)
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-01-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
Sorry if I'm beating the dead horse, but I also say X1. The dealer is a major factor too, so that should play into your decision as well. Good luck!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-01-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
Go with the Vride
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-01-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
Traitor!!!!!! Attila now must walk the plank aarrgggh! haha
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-02-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
I went with the x-l. I like it so far.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-03-2006, 1:55 AM Reply   
Kevin, Attila just wants to keep that MC wake all to himself.

You cannot compare the X star to the X1. We were out on Attila's MC a couple of days ago, I had more fun wakeboarding than ever before. All I can say is: SIC WAKE! I love my boat but if it is just about the quality of wakeboarding, the X1 is the best wake for the money out there! V-ride cannot compare in quality of build or in wakeboarding quality. You may like the style (tower and such) of the v-ride but to wakeboard, I will always choose the MC X1. By the way Attila, I am looking forward to wakeboarding on your boat again!!!