Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-25-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
http://www.WTFNoWay.com

Sure glad our government if taking care of our future!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
Until we fix the fundamental problem with the economy, the debt isn't the biggest problem.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-25-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Oh, never mind then!
Old    SamIngram            07-25-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
After looking at the pictures I have many questions and observations, but one question really bothers me; Is our currency this far inflated, or is government spending really this much? Heck, for that much money I would imagine that every man, woman, and child could have 40 acres and a mule.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
The govt is doing it so we can continue to ship hundreds of billions of dollars out of our economy each year. The US economy is bleeding cash like a self-mutilating hemophiliac. You can either take on more debt or have a quantitative expansion. Or you can let the economy decline until Americans can't afford to buy even cheap foreign made products.

This is the fundamental problem with the economy. And that's why when you try to control the debt, you need to understand the ramifications. Why would you worry about the debt without understanding it's impact on the economy?

The answer is yes.. currency is this far inflated. The problem is that we are shipping out money to other countries, which brings up their standard of living, but puts us in their debt for doing it. I'm not suggesting this is an altruistic act. Far be it from that. It's the nature of the consumer to buy at the cheapest price.

The fact is that the more you earn the more damage you do to the economy with your purchases of foreign made products. If the govt would lay the facts out in front of the people then it could be addressed. Govt spending that sends money overseas is another source of our deficit economy. It needs to be on the plate as the priority cuts in spending. Any spending that removes money from the economy is a problem.

A deficit economy is the illness. Sending money overseas is the cause. Govt debt and monetary expansion is temporary relief with damaging side effects.
Old    SamIngram            07-25-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
John,
I understand your view on the economy and somewhat agree; however, I must raise issue with this statement, "The fact is that the more you earn the more damage you do to the economy with your purchases of foreign made products." A generalization like this sounds like it is coming from Karl Marx himself, and I doubt that was your intent.

The more I make the more opportunity I have to work with local companies. I would much rather work with a local family owned business than one that is owned by some corporation that looks at nothing but quarterly earnings. I have found that working with a locally owned family business has many, many positives that greatly out weight the negatives. Many times the only negative is that I have to operate on terms with the family owned business versus cash only with the corporate owned outfits. Every neighborhood shopping center, gas station, and senior center I build is built by operated by a local company. Every board foot of lumber that I cut goes to a US mill and is then sold in the US.

I do think we are being robbed, and our representatives are allowing and advocating for it; all the while the people who actually care about what is going keep arguing with each over strict ideology. I have basically decided that I don't care about the Right or the Left anymore, but about America instead. If it is not Pro American I won't buy it, won't support it, and won't consume it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
I don't care who it sounds like, it's an indisputable fact. Don't confuse ideology with facts. We are talking about the whole population, not a single individual who chooses to pay more for American products and does without if it's imported. Even though I understand the problem I'm not going to drain my saving trying to buy only American when the country as a whole and the govt will not face the facts head on.

I don't how you could "somewhat agree" that it's an issue. The last time I checked the trade deficit was 1/2 trillion annual. Now the economy is in a rut I can imagine it's going down somewhat. However the high price of gas may have buoyed right back. The same with fighting wars and nation rebuilding. Tremendous amount of damage to the economy when you consider how much money is shipping overseas.

Why would anyone think that removing between 1/2 to 1 trillion annually would not be the most significant problem we have? Poor people no money. Whatever you give them goes right back into the economy. Of course they buy imported products including fuel as well. But I would imagine the bulk of their money goes into rent, utilities, and food.

The govt should stand in front of the American people and the world and officially recognize that sending money overseas is damaging to American. The world needs to hear it at the same time because it isn't right for them to want to trade with us at a deficit and then complain that we are borrowing too much or are concerned about out debt. If they are concerned about out debt then they shouldn't mind helping control the deficit.

Of course the govt couldn't continue adopting welfare nations if the issue of a deficit economy was on the plate. But the answer to that is obvious. We shouldn't be adopting welfare nations. If people want to fix the debt problem then they can either sacrifice and the shelves of Wall Mart and Home Depot can go empty until American products can take their place. Or they can continue to let the govt borrow or expand the money supply w/ the associated consequences.