Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-30-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
After owning the boat for two years with the stock system XMD3 headunit and 4 - 6.5" clarion components. I knew that I was going to upgrade the system eventually and that began collecting the install items this past winter.
Here is what I decided on:
4 - Polk DB6500 components
2 - MTX 5512-44 Subs
MTX MXA6004 for the tower speakers
MTX MXA6001 for the subs
Clarion Ipod Controller
Stinger Digital Fuse box
Stinger SR200
Stinger Wire Products (Power, speaker, RCA's)
4 - MC Tower Lights
Optima Blue Top (Deep Cycle)
100's of feet of wire, connectors, heat shrink, etc.

Let it begin: Before.
Upload

Building the subbox, ampboard, battery box, and fiberglass resin. This was just about checking the measurements once and cutting twice. Ha.
Ampboard/Battery Box:
Upload
Subbox:
Upload

The whole project was done on a budget so I decided to build the cans out of PVC pipe and plumbing pipe I know...you are thinking why but I am pleased with the results, and hopefully you cannot tell by the end of this.
Mock-up of cans:
Upload

Next step was covering the ampboard, battery box and subbox in vynil. Here I added my personal touch to the project by using two layers of 1/8" closed cell foam to create an embossed look. While I installed the first layer of foam, I had the Princess cut out the letters. She also helped me later on in the project soldering wires when I needed a third hand. So thanks to my loving and understanding wife, who now knows why I added this to the already expensive boat. Okay back to the photos.
Foaming:
Upload
Upload
Installing foamed letters:
Upload
Subbox, ampboard, batterybox and lid wrapped:
Upload
Upload
Upload

Next step was removing the tower drilling for the speaker wires and power wires for the lights. I used the idea from a previous post and using the banana plugs recessed mounted so the install is really clean looking. I also wrapped all the wires with wire looming that is the fabric style. For the connectors I used weatherproof connectors by WeatherPak. Sorry no pics if you want some PM me and I can get some to you.

Next was to mount the ampboard and install all the final wire connections.
Battery Box installed:
Upload
Ampboard installed:
Upload
Subs mounted:
Upload
Sub box installed:
Upload

Here are the cans all mounted to the tower. I used rattle can paint so it is easier to touch up, plus it is cheaper than auto paint.
Upload

This is the after photo:
Upload

It only took me about 6 weekends working full days to get this all done. Alot of it was just making sure it was going to function without problems, and to ensure a custom fit and finish. Thanks to all those who got me some of the misc. items - BRIAN! It helped on those hard to find or get items. Again to my wife who now loves the system and has already started creating her ipod boarding mix. And most of all to my dad who helped with glassing, welding, bondo-ing, and painting.

Other items not shown in install, alot of the wiring, ALARM, multiple late nights working things out.

Here is to a summer of riding and rocking!
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
looks awesome! Im looking into upgrading my boats system. How much, if you dont mind saying, did you spend on everything? not including tower speakers...
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-30-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
nice job!
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
HOW DOES IT SOUND BEHIND THE BOAT? GREAT JOB ON THE TOWER CANS THATS USING YOUR HEAD
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2006, 11:17 PM Reply   
Looks great, nice work!

Question, how did you attach the amp board?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-31-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
You have some great Ideas. I love the amp rack w/ the desk cut-outs inexpensive but very sanitary. Is the sub box under your back seat?
Its hard to tell from the photo.
Very nice job.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-31-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
What part of washington are you from?
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-31-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
If I had to guess it looks like the subs are in one of the rear compartments.
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       05-31-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
Looks great.
Great job!
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-31-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Thanks eveyone for the replies.

System sounds awesome! You can hear it 75' back.
The whole system was probably done for under $2500, since I did all the work. The ampboard is held in by the aux. battery box, which is bolted to the boat. The subs are in the drivers side storage.

Ryan - I live in the Seattle area. But grew up in the Couve'.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-31-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
I really like the Embossed lettering.. Looks good.

How did you close the front of the PVC cans? Do you have pictures of that?
Old    mendo247            05-31-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
great work!!!! you did a very nice job with the boxes and cans...
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-01-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Craig - the cans were closed off using Azek PVC composite 5/4 building materials, so I just used a holesaw to drill them out and then glued them together using regular pvc glue. I will post a picture later tonight.